P5 brake pad life expectancy

1Canuck2

I found only one thread here about this, but I am wondering, how long have you got out of your stock pads?

I have 16,000 kilometres (10,000 miles) on my car. There was a little grinding noise the other day when I reversed out of the garage. I had a look though my winter wheels and couldn't see much but I am wondering if this could be my brake pads. That seems really early to wear out don't you think? How can I *easily* tell if I need new pads. What life should I expect out of them?

What else could it be? Could overnight parking in garage during a wet winter result in some oxidation that would grind a little at first start. It doesn;t do it after I drive for a while but could it be the first sign of wear?

If it is the pads, what are some worthy replacements. I have never done it myself, but I would like to replace them on my own and have a friend who has done it before and he will help.

The rotors might have just had water on them. Was it doing it after the first couple times you braked?

they grind when rusty. they get really rusty too. my rotors are covered in rust after only washing the car (boom04)

I have just over 54,000 miles with stock pads. I had the rotors turned at 30,000 miles, and haven't needed to have anything else changed since then.

When I need to change my pads I'll do some research, but until then I really don't have any advice as to what brands to try.

Chris

depends on how you drive...my wife's mustang (driven like a granny) still has the original pads on it at 60K miles. My SHO would eat up pads about every 15K miles.

I know Ive had the same problem too, my brake pad seem to eat up so dang fast..I just changes them late last year some time, and now I think I have to change it again.

60,000 miles with a track day thrown in and still on stock pads- chris

Mine burned in about a year or 25k. i replaced with hawk hps and they are getting low now too. But i am hard on the brakes sometimes.

I have almost 40k miles on mine and still going strong. I use engine braking quite a bit though...

I have an automatic with the sportmatic mode. I use it for engine braking, but its not the same as stick.

I do drive reasonably spiritedly, so would expect maybe lower than average life compared to my granny driving, but 10,000 miles seems real low.

I'll check them out in the morning to see if they ahve surface rust, I doubt it was water as the car was sitting overnight in the garage, but surface rust I could believe as I recall seeing it after washing one time.

How can I easily tell if the pads are nearing end of life? I have winter wheels on right now, so the pads/brakes aren't so easily viewable.

a little noise is nothing to worry about. U would notice a decent loss of braking power and u would have to depress the brake pedal fairly far. if u can see them just check the pad thickness. the dealer can do this too.

1Canuck2 said:
How can I easily tell if the pads are nearing end of life? I have winter wheels on right now, so the pads/brakes aren't so easily viewable.
One brake pad on each wheel has a small metal tab. When the brakes get down to a certain point the tab starts to come into contact with the rotor. It will usually make a really obnoxious noise. Even with the tab squealing there is still some brake pad left.

Good thing to be on the safe side. Saw a Ford Blazer once where someone had worn down the pad completely and eventually wore the rotor to the point where it was down to the cooling fins. What an idiot!

Good luck

Yeah, when it gets to the metal tab, there will be no doubt. It's shreik like a banshee. I have 32k on my originals and still about 2/3 left, but almost all highway miles. My Dakota had 70k and about half left on the originals when I put nicer ones on. My disks always rust pretty quick, and will sound graunchy the first couple times you brake, but it's designed to do that.

I have about 50 000 kms on mine right now and had the same issues with squeeky brakes in the morning and a bit of a grinding noise in reverse. The dealer checked it out and said I have about 40% left, and not to worry. Most of the noises are due to rust on the rotors. One good press of the brakes usually cleans them up.

Be careful of the rear brakes though. There is a TSB on the rears but if your 5 is newer it will have the different pads on already. As well the rear brake cylander can seize open on you. Usually this occurs when driving and you will hear it. You have to get the caliper sliders lubbed on a regular service times : about every 24000 (once a year).

Back