Protege5 2002.5

Protege5 2002.5 Question!! NEED HELP!

Hi,

I just recently read about the Protege5 2002.5 model with the side markers, the deeper cup holders, new wheels and new leather shift knob.

Basically, I've been to every dealership in Vancouver, BC, CANADA, they've all told me that this is B.S. and there is no such thing as the Protege5 2002.5 model. All of there stock is the 2002 model.

Are these dealerships bluffing? I really need to know because my wife wants the car with those new features. Will I have to special order it?

thx Max

Last edited:
I am not absolutely positive of the day of the month...but for some reason the 22 of feburary comes to mind....anyway....any P-5 built after that day will have the features you seek....so just go to a lot....if you see a P-5 with the side markers just forward of the doors....that is one. and you are in business.....don't allow the salespeople to BS you....for they are interested in only ONE thing....getting you to part with YOUR money. go to another dealer and search your car out......NO you will not have to special order one.

the first 2002 models of the p5 where made in NOVEMBER of 2001 :mad: .... these new options come on the p5s made after APRIL of 2002 :mad: .... I know this b/c I have a guy that works at Marlin Mazda in Marimar, FL. I have hook ups there forever!!! :D

Thx guys!! I really appreciate the prompt reply :D ....

How would I go about getting the car if the dealerships don't have the ones made after April 2002?

Should I request them to order one with all the new changes?

Or should I wait a couple of months and check the dealerships again?

Thx again for the prompt replies!!

Max

I don't know if the situation is different in Cananda....but I supposedly got one of the mid-cycle refresh P5's to come over from the factory.....and it arrived late April....early May. It may be that the dealer there is simply trying to direct you towards the original.....i.e...trying to get the older ones off the lot?? Or maybe they simply have not arrived there yet...I dunno.
I ordered mine from CarsDirect.com as I wasn't happy with the dealers I tried to work with. I was pleased with CarsDirect.
Good luck...hope you can find one!

don't forget that sales ppl are taught to tell u to "get the car now instead of tomorrow", i don't think most sales will not be honest enough to tell u the new models of any car will come tomorrow.

I had similar conversation this March with some sales in BURNABY BC, inquiring about the White p5, a new colour for canada at that time, the sales firmly denied the existence of white p5s in canada, they will never be out. Ironically, i saw a white one in richmond BC earlier that day. Wanna guess if i bought my p5 from him?

I phoned Mazda Canada and Mazda USA today!

Mazda Canada said that they don't have any additions that I spoke of on the Protege 5. They don't even have a spec out for the Protege 5 2003 model.

Mazda USA said that there was a refresh of the Protege 5 with the additions from the previous Post http://forum.protegemp3.com/vbb225/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4124

So basically the model with the additions won't be released in CANADA until 2003... you lucky USA guys!! :cool:

thx for all the info guys...

Max

Just was at my dealer today. The newest P5s they have on the lot have serials ending at just over 603000 with build dates around 30/3/02. These cars have the new, uncovered cupholders, but otherwise are identical to mine, built 11/01. It does look like our mid-year refresh consists of the new cupholder only.

Personally I do not care for the changes. I don't like the additional side marker. While the deeper cup holders would be nice I like my cup holder cover. And I really don't like the new rims.

Back