Welcome to the James Barone Racing Forum - Upgrade your Mazda with High Quality Parts at Great Prices from JBR!
Upgrade your Mazda with High Quality Parts at Great Prices from JBR!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OBX Underdrive Pulley

Cars, Homebrew, WoW mmmmm

03.5 MidnightBlue p5

yah whats a good price on an aftermarket alt? im interested in pulley kits but am afraid of the down sides I have been hearing hear and other places with alternator failure, with extra audio components and lighting stuff in the car I cant afford a bad alternator.
    2011 NordschleifeGrey Genesis Coupe 2.0T

Coming soon....AEM, ViS, TypeD grill

Donated: $11.67

'03.5 Blazing Yellow MSP - R.I.P.

You shouldnt have any problems with just a crank pulley, its the water pump pulleys and alternator pulleys is where you will have trouble. Those pulleys are bigger in size than the facotry pulleys, so they take longer turns and takes away power from the alt. and pump and uses it for HP........only like 2-3 hp though.

Yeah.. if u have audio compenents here is the low down. I am running about 500rms. I have had voltage drop problems. Mainly they translate into belt slippage when there is alot of draw... ie Headlights, stereo, defroster all at once + extreme cold or rain made my belts slip occasionally. However during my cam install they did a good job of tightening my belts so it hasnt been a problem since. ALso u should use the GATEs belts with the UR pulley. I used bando and that may have contributed to it. Your options are an upgraded battery (red top) or a capacitor. U cant buy a better alt. for our cars unless u have it custom made like 1st mp3 in NH did. He was sellin his for $200 i think. I think the UR crank is ok though i have over 15k on it and only the belt problem.
    2003 Lapis 6S: Enkei, CP-E, Hawk, AWR, EBC, Stant, K&N, NGK, Redline

Registered Member

Mazda 2002 Protege LX

where can I get the UR pulley??I want to do all the pulley

Donated: $245

09 370Z Nismo

apparently the pulley doesn't give gains in a forced induction setup well, so I've heard, nothing to back that up tho.

Previous owner of an MP5T
    '09 370Z Nismo, Platinum Graphite
    Bolt-ons: GTM 3" CBE, B&M Short Shifter, GT-SPEC 4-point Ladder Bar, GT-SPEC 2-Point Lower Tie-brace, GTM Front Mount Oil Cooler, K&N Drop in filters
    Rice: Carbon Kevlar Bride Gias Racing Seats, PWJDM Carbon Kevlar Battery & Fluid Res & Radiator Cover, AutoEXE Carbon Fiber Shift Knob, Kenwood DNX9140 DVD/GPS 7" Radio, Rear View Camera, Windshield Tinted 50%

'96 RX-7 JDM RHD, Red
    Bolt-ons: HSC LS2 6.0L V8 Conversion, Borg Warner T-56 6-speed Trans, HKS Hiper-Max III Coilovers, HSC Headers and 4" Exhaust, BF Goodrich 285/30/18 Rears, Zex 100hp Dry Shot System
    Rice: Seibon Fenders and Hood, '99 Tail Lights and Front end, Racelogic Traction Control, Zex Twin Nitrous Purge, Optima Red-top Drycell in trunk, Racing Beat Type II Wing

'07 MS3 GT, Black SOLD
    '02 MP5-T, Silver SOLD

03.5 MidnightBlue p5

I dont see how it wouldnt give the same or better gains in forced induction as it would NA, I mean the basic theory of the part stays the same in that it is trying to reduce rotating mass and therefor reduce the amount of power leeching that happens. that is where the gains come from as I understand pulley kits, weight and size makes up less rotational mass or something.

Anyway form the info I got here I will plan on switching to the red top battery(thats the deep cycle one?) and then get the pulley, either OBX or UR
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

good idea
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Donated: 20$

Turbo MP3 #222, 00 Silverado Z71

Originally posted by Equinox
    apparently the pulley doesn't give gains in a forced induction setup well, so I've heard, nothing to back that up tho.
    kieth from fm has gave a few good explanations why it it bad for a FI vehicle... One of the MSP that blew their engines had the pulleys, and mentioned a oil problem. Keith mentioned the pulleys will cause the oil pump to fail, if i remember correctly.
    (bluemp3)
    Performance Mods:Custom MSP turbo kit w/ ported manifold and downpipe, MPI piggyback,Tochigi Fugi LSD,Fidanza flywheel,ACT street clutch, SS clutch line, SS brake lines,awr motor mounts,JoeP MBC,2 1/2"exhaust with wagner mid pipe, MagnaFlow resonator, JIC canister, Random Technology cat,Greddy type S BOV,Rotora front rotors (slotted)brembo rear rotors,Hawk HPS pads,Spool springs,Kartboy Shifter/Bushing/Knob/exhaust hangers,1st grounding kit (blue)Sparkco wires(blue), mini oil catch can

Electronics/Appearance Mods: UEGO widebando2 ,Greddy warning boost gauge, EGT, and oil pressure gauges, MSD knock senor w/ display, Blitz TT, Clear side marker,DaveB rings,DGM auto exe replica grill, Alpine 5 channel amp, blue coolant catch can

Waiting to install: J&S safeguard, exhaust cutout

Donated: $245

09 370Z Nismo

Originally posted by paulmp3
    kieth from fm has gave a few good explanations why it it bad for a FI vehicle... One of the MSP that blew their engines had the pulleys, and mentioned a oil problem. Keith mentioned the pulleys will cause the oil pump to fail, if i remember correctly.
    that's it, thanks again Paul

03.5 MidnightBlue p5

ah i see, as per the extra stress already on the oil pump because of being FI in the first place. would make sense. But as I have seen many Jspec tuner cars in mags that are running high boost and pulley kits it is possible, but you need alot of other backup work to the oil system and others stuff to make it work without problems. Seems pointless in the end, as you said.

03.5 Black Mica Protege5

alright guys, I have a stock car, this is gonna be one of my first upgrades. So what do I NEED for this to run properly in my car as in what do I need to change to be safe with this part in my car? Some of you guys say it's fine without changing things but some say alternator and battery and crap so let me know guys because I just brought it today. Thanks
    10 Subaru WRX
    06 Scion Tc
    03 Mazda Protege5 - SOLD

red top battery and make sure u use good belts. Thats it. Although it will work fine w/o the battery if the alt. is under load alot then a battery is a good idea

03.5 Black Mica Protege5

what kinda belts should I get? I don't need a alternator with this crank pulley as long as I get a red top battery right?

well if u get the OBX they might have recommended belt type and sizes. UR did. they suggested Gates belts. As did shops around me. I unfortunately got bando belts cause the shop bs'd me. I dont have a redtop either. These are things i will get but i wish i had known when i got the pulley. But even w/o it really hasnt been a problem. If u can, get the redtop but its not necessary. I did install a ground kit though and that helped a bit too.

07 MS3

I got an e-mail that said that the OBX pulley is not available yet. Vaporware strikes again.

Looks like UR is the only one. I saw it somewhere on the web for less than $200.

As far as the Oil pump goes, I don't understand how an UD pulley would make it fail. The oil pump is not belt driven, is it? I thought it was an internal component driven off the crank.

Cosmic Blue 07 MS3, V1 hardwire, 20% tint, TRZ dogbone, MS CAI, TWM SS, Forge BPV, satin silver pc'd RX-8s (235/40 Sumi HTR-Z III), Corksport testpipe, Ventpod with Prosport electronic boost gauge, Yakima rack, 5k K HID lows and 3k K HID fogs, Medievil trans MM, Hawk PC fronts pads, Yellow Speed coilovers, cp-e TIP, stealthbox, Magnaflow catback, SM catch can, Corksport bypass hose, Hypertech tuner, AWR passenger side MM, Corksport lowering springs/dampers. Dents and scratches like whoa.

Yellow Speed coilover install tips

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast