OBX Underdrive Pulley

I've heard that the Unorthodox Crank pulley puts down 11whp....just the one pulley....I'm kinda leary, it's $200 for the pulley and 2 new belts.

Nope havne't tried it either..But many people have told me about the problems associated..which is why I won't waste my time!

Chas

acidbbg said:
Nope havne't tried it either..But many people have told me about the problems associated..which is why I won't waste my time!

Chas

What problems?

I have never heard of pump failures being associated with the UD pulley on our cars. I have one... i doubt 10hp though... maybe more like 5whp. Besides that they are a common upgrade among imports and are safe.. at least the UR pulley is. Don't listen to chas.... he is turbo'd so his perspective may be skewed. I know from experience. the OBX might be good but there are problems with pulleys... belt slippage being the main one i have encountered and less alt. output.

My perspective is not skew..

now..i haven't been into the car scene for many years..but i have looked..and researched..many different things..about the aftermarkets parts for our cars!

The reason why those item fail..Is because of the strain put on them due to the lightend ud pulley...

But hey..Be an innovator..try it out..and tell me i'm wrong!

I have no problem admitting when i am wrong..

But Many people tell me that it's not worth it... including many performance mechanics!

Chas

wow i checked out their site and everything is cheap and all the same price no matter what model you have.

i smell bs at this place, and only takes paypal...

anyone wanna guinea pig for us?

Ive heard bad things about pulleys, but i bit the bullet and bought the UR Crank Pulley, and the AEM alternator pulley for my Z24. No problems with the crank but the alternator pulley killed my alternator, i just upgraded the alt. and no problems since. The UR crank pulley is a great bang for the buck.....i have a MAD 1st and 2nd gear!!!

i dont know if any of you guys has seen, but rr-racing has an underdrive pulley coming out in the first week of feb (well so they told me) - that'll be $140

and yeah i agree with the $60 being an interesting price. just dont forget ppl that we have a crank sensor that reads the underdrive pulley....if it's not designed right....no engine worky

this is another good point. Thats why i recomend the UR pulley cause they have the experience and expertise to design the pulley right. They make it a point to design it with enough underdrive to support the water and alt pulleys... the other ones may not.

Well I'll try it first. Just ordered it and it's $75 after shipping. Did someone say I should change my alternator too? link on a good one please?

yah whats a good price on an aftermarket alt? im interested in pulley kits but am afraid of the down sides I have been hearing hear and other places with alternator failure, with extra audio components and lighting stuff in the car I cant afford a bad alternator.

You shouldnt have any problems with just a crank pulley, its the water pump pulleys and alternator pulleys is where you will have trouble. Those pulleys are bigger in size than the facotry pulleys, so they take longer turns and takes away power from the alt. and pump and uses it for HP........only like 2-3 hp though.

Yeah.. if u have audio compenents here is the low down. I am running about 500rms. I have had voltage drop problems. Mainly they translate into belt slippage when there is alot of draw... ie Headlights, stereo, defroster all at once + extreme cold or rain made my belts slip occasionally. However during my cam install they did a good job of tightening my belts so it hasnt been a problem since. ALso u should use the GATEs belts with the UR pulley. I used bando and that may have contributed to it. Your options are an upgraded battery (red top) or a capacitor. U cant buy a better alt. for our cars unless u have it custom made like 1st mp3 in NH did. He was sellin his for $200 i think. I think the UR crank is ok though i have over 15k on it and only the belt problem.

apparently the pulley doesn't give gains in a forced induction setup well, so I've heard, nothing to back that up tho.

Back