hand brake light problem

mopiko

Contributor
My hand brake light in the dash started to act weird after it got very cold here (below freezing) in NJ...

in the morning (car parked for the night):

1)hand brake light will not go off after I release my hand brake.
2)after up to 25 minutes of driving the light will go off.

during the day (car parked for 1 hour +)

1) hand brake light comes on at moderate braking (foot braking).
2) goes off if I release my brake and step on gas again.

I've checked my brake fluid level, it's above min line.... Way above min line...

when hand brake light on and car moving, doesn't feel like the hand brake is dragging the car.

when hand brake light on when stopped at light, gear in neutal, the car will roll normal (backward when uphill, forward when downhill)

Any suggestion on what this problem might be? Again problem started the day it got really cold

Last edited:
it could also mean that the brake pads could possibly be worn out. i had the same problem, went away with changing the pads. it's happening again. probably means i gotta change the front ones now. check it out and see what happens. good luck. =)

then another question, do you think a brak pad change at 30k miles is excessive wear? Or is it normal with our P5?

i think so. you can also consult your owners manual, it shows all the scheduled maintance times and stuff like that.

you know it also depends on how hard you brake too, and what kind of roads you drive on. they all play parts in how your brakes will perform and how long they'll last

well for the first 15k miles I was driving it pretty hard, then I took it easy afterwards, I've had the car for a little over a year, since my car is 5-speed, most of the time I also like to downshift to help slowing down, so I thought it will help prolong my brake life... but I guess my first 15k miles of hard driving is puninshing me afterwards....

i guess so. if you really drive hard or have roads that are just to irrisitable to drive the speed limit then consider better brake systems like i have. i'm planning on getting a better brake set up. you know like bigger rotors 6 pot calipers and better brake lines stuff like that! then you rip the roads apart with out having to worry about your brakes crappin out! just be careful when you drive. i don't want to hear of a mazda p5 owner dying in a crash and certainly don't wanna see a recked p5 either!

well, my new job and all calls for a very professional driving style... which I was able to change, I'll take your option as a consideration but I highly doubt I'll do it as I don't have much $$ to spend on my p5 anymore :( so first I'll have to adjust my driving style and drive like a grandma for now.....

I need help you guys I've been getting my brake warning light to go on and off, but it does'nt stay on for long just when I brake moderately hard. I think that my fluid level is low, so I bought Coastal super heavy duty brake fluid it's DOT 3 and 284 F min is this safe? What is the stock brake fluid DOT rating on the P5? I don't want to mess up my master clyinder.

Last edited:
now that you mention it, that does happen.. when its really cold in the morning the light comes on, then about 20 min later it will.. turn off.. and when driving sometimes it will occasionally, go on when stepping on the break..

well it warmed up here in NJ a little and the problem is gone. So can I safely assume it's a weather related issue?

Back