Thread: What are the differences between stage 1, 2, 3 turbo kits?

What are the differences between stage 1, 2, 3 turbo kits?

I've searched this message board and Googled this subject to death and can't find any answers. Can anyone point me to a site that has it all laid out for me? Or, can someone explain it to me? Thanks.
    2006 Metallic Silver Mazdaspeed 6

Performance: CP-E CAI (w/ injen Heat Shield) * CP-E Down Pipe * CP-E Catback Exhaust * Magnaflow Muffler * TWM Short Shifter (Stage 1) * Corksport Strut Tower Brace * Koni Yellow Adjustable Shocks * RPM Street Lowering Springs * CP-E Engine Mount
    Appearance: "Dark" tint all around * VG Shark Fin Antenna * Debadged except for Mazda emblems front and rear * Höen xenonmatch fogs * Billet Grille * Smoked LED reflectors (front and rear) * Mirror Black powder-coated OEM wheels
    Boom: ZX 400.1 Kicker Amp * JL10W3 Subwoofer * RAAMmatBXT in doors and trunk

ENROUTE: Nothing

TO BE INSTALLED: Nothing

FUTURE: CP-E EMS + CP-E PnP Harness?

Banned
    Donated: $10

2001 Mazda MP3

what comes in my mind for each stage:

stage 1: basically low boost (below 6psi)/ non intercooled, Fuel clamp

stage 2: higher boost (4-9psi), front mount intercooled, fuel pump (maybe), FMU

stage 3: higher boost (over 10psi) large FMIC, standalone fuel management, larger injectors/additional injectors, AUX fuel pump.

people feel free to correct me.

Donated: 20$

Turbo MP3 #222, 00 Silverado Z71

Spool turbo has stages out for his kits... They no longer make protege kits though, so i guess it really doesnt matter....

Stage 1- non intercooled
    stage 2- intercooled
    stage 3- was standalone ECU intercooled..

some changes were made to his staging before a stage 2 was the tubular manifold, but i believe he changed the stages,
    (bluemp3)
    Performance Mods:Custom MSP turbo kit w/ ported manifold and downpipe, MPI piggyback,Tochigi Fugi LSD,Fidanza flywheel,ACT street clutch, SS clutch line, SS brake lines,awr motor mounts,JoeP MBC,2 1/2"exhaust with wagner mid pipe, MagnaFlow resonator, JIC canister, Random Technology cat,Greddy type S BOV,Rotora front rotors (slotted)brembo rear rotors,Hawk HPS pads,Spool springs,Kartboy Shifter/Bushing/Knob/exhaust hangers,1st grounding kit (blue)Sparkco wires(blue), mini oil catch can

Electronics/Appearance Mods: UEGO widebando2 ,Greddy warning boost gauge, EGT, and oil pressure gauges, MSD knock senor w/ display, Blitz TT, Clear side marker,DaveB rings,DGM auto exe replica grill, Alpine 5 channel amp, blue coolant catch can

Waiting to install: J&S safeguard, exhaust cutout

Banned
    Donated: $10

2001 Mazda MP3

this is true.

hi boost and wagner just sell one kit.

both have large FMICs, Hiboost comes with standalone, wagner has that option too.

wrangler

Re: What are the differences between stage 1, 2, 3 turbo kits?

Originally posted by steefnap
    Or, can someone explain it to me?
    there is no such thing as what a stage 1 turbo kit consists of. each company can have their own interpretation of what is "stage 1". one company can say it is a t3/t04 with fmic and full standalone, and another a small t3 with no intercooler, but they're both stage 1 because that's what the company calls them. spool did stages before and that's mostly what people talked about on here. in other circles there may be things accepted as stage 1 mods, but it is specific to their circle. basically, stage 1, 2, 3 means absolutely nothing other than what the company or whoever is talking about it decided that it meant, and there is no standard. the parts are what matter when upgrading, not the stage it is at.

Titanium MSP

yeah the whole "stage" thing to me is ridiculous. cant tell you how many retards ive come across that are braggin about their's or someone else's car sayin how theyve got "stage" 2 or "stage" 3 turbo upgrades. so i say yeah, what exactly comes with a "stage" x upgrade? reply: i dunno? i could give two shits less when people talk about stages, dont tell what stage it is, tell me what its got, and ill decide if your full of shit. owell
    2003.5 Titanium MSP
    -Autometer Boost Guage
    -Autometer A/F
    -Autometer Water Temp
    -Joe P. XZ MBC
    -Colder NGK's-zfr
    -De-clunked & Flashed
    -Greddy type S on stock pipes
    -Mazdaspeed Axle Back
    -Custom cold air

Donated: 10$

the whole "Stage" thing is a result of tooo many Movies...and way too many video games....
    This baby is long gone... but a new CX-5 is incoming.

Yellow P5 2002 / Ex - President / www.TOProtege.com

Tein SS Full Suspension, TWM Short Shifter, 18" Tenzo ZT6s, Tenzo Rally-Type Seats (Black/Grey), Clutchmaster StageIIR, Fidanza 9lbs Flywheel, Mazdaspeed LSD, DGM CF Air Dam, DGM CF Side Skirts, JSP CF Hood, Ractive CF Exhaust, KartBoy Bushings, AWR Motor Mounts, AWR 21.5 mm rear sway bar, 4500K HID Conversion, Autoexe Wing, Autoexe Custom Grill, Clarion 935 7" In Dash Screen, Clarion Component Speakers Front and Rear, 12JLW1 x2, MTX Series Amps.

Hiboost Turbo Kit, HKS SSQV BOV upgrade, Ceramic Coated, Pauter Rods, Ceramic/Moly Coated 8.5:1 Compression Pistons, ARP Hardware and Rubber Coated Copper Gasket, Blitz Dual EBC

02 Protege5

This is an easy one...

Stage 1 = $
    Stage 2 = $$
    Stage 3 = bankruptcy and/or divorce

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."

- Albert Einstein

Originally posted by viVid
    This is an easy one...

Stage 1 = $
    Stage 2 = $$
    Stage 3 = bankruptcy and/or divorce

Hehehe... nice analogy. I get it.

I kinda figured out what the intercooler and blow-off valve are for. But what is the purpose of the FMU/FMWHATEVER?
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

02 Protege5

FMIC = Front Mounted Inter-Cooler. It's purpose is to cool the incoming charge of air. One of the side effects of compressing air is that it raises the temperature of the air. This can lead to detonation which can damage/destroy your engine. One really is not needed until you get over about 4-5 lbs of boost in our cars, since we have such pitifully low compression (in the U.S. anyways).
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

02 Protege5

Crap, I just re-read your questions and I think you already knew the answer I just gave you. A FMU = Fuel Management Unit (aka Rising Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator). It makes the fuel pressure increase as the boost increases (based on manifold vacuum/pressure). This also helps to avoid detonation by keeping the mixture correct.

thanks, Vivid!