warped rotors?

roswel

i just got back from my 32,000 kms service. i had been noticing a pulsing in the brakes and apparently it is due to warped front rotors. according to the service guy i've been hard on my brakes causing them to heat and warp. he is full of s*** because i rarely brake heavily and always use engine braking. however my technique is irrelevent because i can feel that the rotors are warped. is this normal to have this happen so soon? would the brembo rotors reduce this occurance? (better cooling=less heat=less warping)

the dealer says it's gonna cost like $290.00 cdn for the rotors and install. $130.00 cdn a pair. plus like 80 for an allignment...which it does need.

questions....

1. would it be advisable to upgrade the brakes with brembos

2. is it easy to install rotors 'cuz i could sure use a break on the install cost

thanks ,

L8S

As ignorant as I am about doing ANYTHING to a car, I have changed brakes before. It's not all that difficult. Just plan out a saturday to do it. Having 4 wheel disks makes it a lot easier too. And if you keep the car clean, especially the wheel area, it will be even easier.
I haven't done my MP3 yet as I have just over 8k miles, but I'm sure it shouldn't be any harder than what I've done in the past.

There have been a few threads about brake brands and such. You might do a search and see what you find. I've never used a crossdrilled rotor, so I couldn't be of help on that.

Good Luck!

The brakes are an easy install. If you're looking to start doing some of your own work then it's a great place to start. All you need is a good set of metric sockets, some brake fluid, a jack and jackstands, and a good size c-clamp to press the caliper piston back in. I've got it down to the point I can do all four sides, pads and rotors, in about 2 hours. Since you've never done this work before you should plan on probably 4-5 hours. Just take your time and it'll work out. BTW if your shop told you that you need an alignment because of the brakes, they're full of it. The only time you need an alignment is if you notice bad tire wear, pulling, drifting, or you've changed springs/struts. If you don't have any of these then they're trying to upsell you.

not to mention...IF in fact your rotors are warped....find a reputable machine shop in your area that does automotive work....you can remove your rotors and take them in and have them "turned" to remove the warp....and restore them....THEN just reinstall them with new pads....the shop will be able to tell you if they are worn to the point that they can not correct them...there is a SPEC they have to meet for thickness....THEN if they are not repairable...then replace them....

however....with no more miles than you have...and you say you don't do a lot of hard braking....I believe you should be okay to have them turned..

now...one thing that can certainly contribute to your front rotors getting warped...is UNEVEN and OVER tightening of your lug nuts....NEVER use an AIR IMPACT wrench...or allow anyone else to either.....tighten them by hand...and if at all posible...use a troque wrench....80 ft-lbs.

You can actually use an air impact on the lug nuts. You have to get whats called a torque bar though to use it properly or you will over torque the lugs. Snap-on, Mac, and Matco all sell em for either 1/2 or 3/4 drive impacts. Just make sure to get one that matches the torque spec for our cars. They're kinda cool in the fact that it doesn't matter what setting you put the impact on it will only exert the amount of torque that the bar is rated for.

i've had the same problem with powerful air guns warping the rotors. i usually rotate my own tires now, but if the car's in a shop, i make sure the air guns have a torque-adjustable clutch to avoid overtightening.

brakes

thanks for all the info guys. i will look into having the rotors "turned".

as for the allingment it is not because of the brake install. the car is pulling to the right quite a bit. no really apparent uneven tread wear yet.

another question for y'all...

does anyone notice that the car pulls to one side (the left i think) under moderate to heavy acceleration and pulls the other way under moderate braking? is this because we don't have a limited slip diff (if i'm not mistaken) and is normal or maybe because of the allingment?

thanks,

Sir Nuke said:
now...one thing that can certainly contribute to your front rotors getting warped...is UNEVEN and OVER tightening of your lug nuts....NEVER use an AIR IMPACT wrench...or allow anyone else to either.....tighten them by hand...and if at all posible...use a troque wrench....80 ft-lbs.

Hmmm, I've never heard that happen before. If you look to see where the lugs are and where the calipers actually touch the rotors. You'll see that there is virtually no way that over tightening the lugs can warp the rotor.

APEXistud said:

Hmmm, I've never heard that happen before. If you look to see where the lugs are and where the calipers actually touch the rotors. You'll see that there is virtually no way that over tightening the lugs can warp the rotor.

well...I have, just because the lugs are not at the outer rim doesn't mean that over tightening them won't impart uneven stresses in the hub. Yes, it takes time for it to happen...its not like you over tighten them and BOOM they are warped...but if you apply the stress for a long enough time...they can eventually warp

....and a VERY experienced and trusted mechanic showed me this a long time ago....and he wasn't working on my car either....I ask him about why HE didn't use an impact putting on someones wheels....he was using a torque wrench...and was the FIRST person I EVER saw do this.....this was in the early 70's, before most shops even bothered.

Well I will have to side on Sir Nuke on this one, sorry APEXistud
:)

I have felt the difference in the driveability of a few cars after having the wheels put on at the shop with a impact wrench.

I have seen people come into my brother in-laws shop with vibration and noise complaints from their tires and all he does is torque them on with a wrench

Well, it could make sense that if you think about I guess. If someone had been driving around and their rotors warm up. Then you over tighten the lugs on your warm or hot rotors and bam....WARPAGE So yes, I can see it happening, but only under those rare circumstance.

For some reason the regular Proteges are known for warping rotors. My friend Matt has a 2000 Protege ES and his rotors are going bad already and hes gone through a set of rotors already.

APEXistud said:
Well, it could make sense that if you think about I guess. If someone had been driving around and their rotors warm up. Then you over tighten the lugs on your warm or hot rotors and bam....WARPAGE So yes, I can see it happening, but only under those rare circumstance.

yep....and it does happen....after all....you decide its time to get new tires....you get in the car....DRIVE to the local tire shop you do business with....obviously the rotors are going to be hot...you have been driving and braking...you GET LUCKY and get right in....and bingo bango, the "mechanic" uses an impact on your lugs to remove them...and install them....and before you know it...warped rotors...IT COULD HAPPEN....

and that is all I was saying. :{D

Sir Nuke said:

yep....and it does happen....after all....you decide its time to get new tires....you get in the car....DRIVE to the local tire shop you do business with....obviously the rotors are going to be hot...you have been driving and braking...you GET LUCKY and get right in....and bingo bango, the "mechanic" uses an impact on your lugs to remove them...and install them....and before you know it...warped rotors...IT COULD HAPPEN....

and that is all I was saying. :{D

Makes me appreciate that I know how to do most things on my own. I don't even want other people changing my oil. Our brakes are really easy to change when being compared to my old Civic. Gotta love the floating rotors, no impact screw driver needed.

APEXistud said:

Makes me appreciate that I know how to do most things on my own. I don't even want other people changing my oil. Our brakes are really easy to change when being compared to my old Civic. Gotta love the floating rotors, no impact screw driver needed.

I know this is sooooooooooo true.....

srmotorsports

i checked out the rotors at srmotorsports.

2 problems....1.they are $119 EACH, NOT for a pair

2. that price is AMERICAN

does anybody have some canadian prices for upgraded rotors?

If you live in Canada, you are probably better off with a solid disk rotor. If you are going to get cross drilled rotors, you should look into getting them Cryo'd. For info on Cryogenic Tempering, check out these links. Frozen Rotors One Cryo

I had my EBC Turbo Groove rotors Cryo'd on my last Civic. I figured since I lived in Michigan and my car was going to see quite a bit of abuse from the elements. I'm glad I did it my rotors last quite a bit longer than a couple of my friends. They made it all the way to Cali.

This might not help anyone, but at my 15k service I mentioned a pulse in my brakes. When I picked up the car they resurfaced the front rotors UNDER WARRANTY. I was preparing myself to argue with them, but it was uneeded. Don't know if I got lucky or what?

Later

Back