redline transmission fluid

:
2002 P5, 1978 F250
Ok, so I just put in redline transmission fluid.. and I have to ask:

Does it need some wearing in before I will notice ANY change? I put it in upon the suggestion of several members here after my 2nd gear not really wanting to cooperate and its still being extra notchy. I put about 10 miles on the car just now driving it around varrying my shifts and its still crappy. If this s*** doesnt work then I have succesfully wasted over $70 "testing" different transmission fluids. I have a TWM installed and I can only notice the problems when its installed, the stock shifter is way rubbery to feel anything. I just switched from Mobil1 Synthetic Transmission Fluid because people said its bad for the synchros. I had my transmission worked on almost 3k miles ago (replaced 2nd gear synchros and 3rd gear and synchro). The service department said that the problem is too acute to do anything about right now, and to wait. Thats why I decided to try redline transmission fluid.. :(

Please tell me you put your passenger seat back in before going to the dealership!

I would give the TF more time. It's not some miracle cure though. I used it on my 78 K10 blazer and it did improve the slipping I was feeling but it wasn't a HUGE improvement

Yeah the interior was 100% back to normal when I went in.. its torn up again though. Should I only notice the problem with the TWM installed? It seems like when the stock shifter is in the problem isnt there. If infact it is the shifter, what could cause this? I don't think the shifter does anything but allow me to feel the problem.

I am waiting on some parts for the carputer then its all going back in and its already half rewired.. tie straps and wire looms made it a CLEAN ASS install.. pics coming when its all done..

The difference between stock shifter and the TWM is beyond my knowledge. Have you talked to TWM about it?

Looking forward to your pics, although I may be up in your Neighborhood real quick if things pan out. Engine Bay basic dressup is my next project.

Hey, I found it's kinda hard to get into 2nd gear after putting in my kartboy. I tend to slip the clutch more than other gears when going into second. In my case though, I think it may just be the age / condition of the car....

How tight did you tighten the bolt to the bottom of the shifter under the car? Supposedly the tightness can affect the shifting feel. As for Redline, I have 4 quarts sitting in the corner that I'm gonna try (well, 3 of them, 1 is spare ;) ).

I installed Red Line MT-90 in my transmission and noticed an immediate improvement. It wasn't dramatic but it did make shifting noticeably easier. The difference is even more noticeable in cold weather as is to be expected from a synthetic. Although I did change to an MP3 shifter and Kartboy bushings, it still has the stock throw and as far as I know my transmission is in excellent shape.

Some possible reasons for your shift problems:
1. As charles mentioned, the tightness of the shift lever bolt is a factor here. If it's too tight it will make shifting harder. According to the FSM, the correct torque setting is 12-16 ft/lbs. (16-22 N-m).

2. Since you state that the problem occurs only with your SS, it's possible that you have a problem with faulty gear synchronizers. If you look at TheMAN's FAQ in the transmission section, he states that short shifters can take a toll on the gear synchronizers and that extra care has to be taken when shifting if using one. I'm just speculating here but perhaps if your synchros have some problem to begin with, using a short shifter might just exacerbate it. Incidently, this is one of the reasons I went with the MP3 shifter as opposed to one with a shorter throw.

3. You might be able to eliminate that "rubbery" feeling you get with the stock shifter if you switch to the Kartboy bushings since they eliminate a lot of play and make the shifting feel more precise.

I don't know how useful any of these points might be but good luck in solving your problem.

Did you use Redline MT-90 or MTL? If you used MT-90, you may have better success with the MTL, especially in colder climates. In all of my Mazdas I ran MT-90 in the summer and MTL in the winter. Made the 2nd gear shifts much less crunchy.

good luck Ahmad, I know how much trouble you've had with mazda's "experts" hopefully they won't give you s*** this time, if you choose to take it back again

I am not going to take it in again because I just got it out on friday!... I am running super light shock proof? LinuxRacr suggested it to me. I played with the bolt on the bottom of the shifter and it made some difference in the other gears but not in 2nd..

I am late for work so my reply has to be short. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

The short shifter does make it more difficult. Keep in mind when you were checking out my shifter in my car, that I still have the stock throw.

WTF? I could have sworn you said you had the B&M!... ohh well.. Maybe I am smokin something. I am consdering selling the TWM now...

ELEmental59437 said:
I am not going to take it in again because I just got it out on friday!... I am running super light shock proof? LinuxRacr suggested it to me. I played with the bolt on the bottom of the shifter and it made some difference in the other gears but not in 2nd..

I am late for work so my reply has to be short. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

i called redline and they told me not to use the shock proof.With the xtra power im putting down i thought it would be helpful, but he advised against it.im not sure about the super light shock proof.
They mentioned it may be slippery for the syncros..

he recomended mt-90;)

WHAT THE HELL!!! everyone tells me different.. I am not running a turbo so does the extra power apply to me? I used Super light shockproof because thats what LinuxRacr suggested and his shifts are smooth as hell.. Before that I tried the Mobil1 Synthetic upon the reccomendation by JDMSam.. and someone else told me that stuff was bad for our transmissions.

paulmp3-
How are your shifts with the kartboy shifter installed? I think I might try something other than the TWM.. this is turning out to be a costly modification!

mine shifts very smoothly.. sometimes it is notchy getting into 2nd but it seems to be a common problem..

I have changed my tranny fluid twice now.. it always seems real smooth at first but after 10k its not like the day you changed it. The redline Mt-90 totally cured my problems i had in the past.. my car sometimes wouldnbt liek to go into 4th and also during start up 1st and reverse where tough, now these problems no longer exist.. I swear by this stuff, it works!

I also read many different opinions so i called up the tech at redline and followed his advice..

I was under the assumption the shock proof helps cushion your gears for higher power applications. the mt-90 helps smooth the syncros.

Try moving your seat closer to the steering wheel, it help make my shifts smoother ;)

I don't think it's the shifter because I have a TWM and have no problems. Just make sure everything is lubed up properly and torqued to specs

If you go by the OEM specification for our transmission oil, Red Line MT-90 is the correct equivalent replacement type.

02 DX Millenium Red

yeah the trannys we have been given by Mazda do blow but give the Redline a bit of time to sink into all of the gaskets and o'rings... if you've gone through that many different tranny fluids I'm sure that there's a bit of residue of each type floating around and still soaked in the gaskets/o-rings. give it some time...

a suggestion might be to try and leave the boot off and when you shift into second listen for anything that is out of the ordinary when shifting into the other gears. you might be hitting the heat shields or something else. just listen and maybe you'll get a quick fix... :D

The TWM shifter sucked ass when I first got it. It was the hardest thing to get into 2nd. I literally pulled back hard enough to where my fingers slipped off the shifter when I first tried to speed shift. This was after already switching to MT-90 and kartboy bushings. Give the shifter some time to break in and you should be good to go. Not sure why anyone would suggest anything other than MT-90 as this is what is recommended from Redline.

Why go with anything different than what they suggest? They make the s***!

I read somewhere that the Redline products, although good, were meant more for heavier duty because it is so thick. I think they recomended Royal Purple, which is what I am switching to after my 30k mile tune up.

Back