Kicker Subs?????

OhioMSPinNJ

:
2004 Dodge Ram HEMI
What is the difference between 15 inch Kicker Comp and 15 inch Kicker CompVR?

I have a MTX Thunder 500d amp, and listen to Hip Hop/Rap mostly. Which one would be better for my style?

Thanks in advance!

if you are only going to run one sub then I would go with the Comp b/c it only needs 250 watts RMS to run but the 15" CompVR needs 500 RMS to run. Unless you get the DVC 2ohms then go with the ComVR? Either one would make you happy... both would work for your style but with Rap you would want to go with a sealed box, the vented box would be too mushy or boomy...

Last edited:
So running the single 15 inch Comp would be better than the CompVR with my amp in your opinion? My amp is 500 watts I believe...I appreciate your advice.

I will be installing it in my MSP and removing my factory sub and amp,and I am looking to go custom build, will the spare tire well be large enough of a space to after I build a false floor and all of that good stuff?

Secondly, should I run the stock amp (Kenwood 250 watts I think) to the rest of the speakers in the car?

Once again, thanks for your input and advice

in my opinion, yes.. you would just as happy with just the comp. if you are going sealed, then yeah, you should have enough space for the sub since running a sealed box it only needs like 2.25 sq feet to run. Yes, yuo could use the oem amp but I would highly recommend some inline caps to drop anything below 250hz to the speakers. They are also marketed as Bass Blockers. I don't trust the factory settings. and yes, your amp is 250 at 4ohms and 500 at 2ohm. Look for a capacitor for your amp feed too because your alt/battery will be starved trying to run the magnet on the 15" subwoofer...

Last edited:
The compVr's advantages will not be noticable unless you have the power to run it. What amp do you have?

The stock amp can be rewired to run your front speakers.

1st MP3 in NH said:
The compVr's advantages will not be noticable unless you have the power to run it. What amp do you have?

The stock amp can be rewired to run your front speakers.

MTX Thunder 500D; the Circuit City guys told me that it's a 750 watt amp. But everyone else tells me that they have their own "rating system" and that it is a 500 watt amp.?.?

Thanks 1st...

Deansweet;

Thank you very much for your help!!

They don't have there own ratings system, they just exagerate like alot of other manufactureres. Atleast they aren't as bad as Audiobahn.

The kciker Comp Vr would be the better choice given the power of the MTX amp you have. YOu want the dual 4 ohm veresion.
This will allow you to parrallel the voice coils and get a 2 ohm total load to get your amp to perfoma its best.

Last edited:
Are you totally set on those subs? I guess I would personally go with a 12" in a nice vented box...or the elemental designs 12O. At 195$ it'll fit in a 1.5CF area and it sounds best sealed. It's also very well suited to rap and deep bass. 500W rms would also be a good amount of power for it.

There are others that I would choose in that price range, too...I know 15" tend to get sloppy on upper bass (80-100hz)...it's a bit of a myth for higher-end subs, but the lower end stuff can succomb to it.

Anywho...that's just my take on subs. I'm not a huge kicker fan, persoanlly; to each his own, though...as for the amp, you're all set. Just get a dual 4ohm sub so that you can get that 500W from it.

Actualy 15's get sloppy at 60 hz.
Also the 15" kicker comp Vr will need atleast 3.0 cubic feet of volume to make it worth while to have a 15.

Last edited:
I already own them....
That is why I am asking in particularly about them. One will be mine, and one is Christmas present for my bro. The hz you guys are referring to...what is that? I know that makes me sound ignorrant, but I dont know... one of my biggest concerns is car rattle. I dont want my car to sound like the trunk is full of pop cans. How do I avoid that.

How much are you guys charging for your professional advice???
Thanks guys.

Ha! You better ask for some Dynamat Xtreme off ebay for Christmas! :D

Hz is a measure of frequency...it's the frequency of the tones being played. 60hz is bassy...most Rap today uses those lower frequencies, but mixes in upper bass right up to 120hz as well. Above 60hz (according to 1st, who has more experience than I do) the 15" will get sloppy. It will not recreate those notes as accurately. This can be solved with a couple of 8" midbass subs of midrange speakers to cover the dead-spot in the music. That's kinda why I recommend a 12". Of course...like 1st said, you'd need a giant box for that 15...that'll flatten the response curve a bit.

Just so you know...that first comment. you're gonna need to get some sound deadening, and fast with 500W to that 15". My 10" with ~275W rattles s***. :D

What are the voice coils on the vr? is it a 2ohm or a 4ohm? this is kinda vital here. Sorta a bass-akwards way of doing things, but hey it's cool I guess. Actually what're they on the comp while we're at it? If you're qual 4ohm on the vr, then take that, make a HUGE box for it and rattle away. Once that's hooked up, find a big empty parkinglot to crank it and then go aroudn your car looking for rattle spots and taking it apart. I've found a couple thigns to be very useful for killing noise...
!. Dynomat: for large metal surfaces that have a tendancy to resonate
2. Foam "weather seal" tape from a hardware store. generally the stuff you'd use for around a door to insulate.
3. Caulking. I actually use silicone sealant. good for squishinginto areas that you cna't get apart to put weather sealing into.
4. Bicycle handlebar tape (I work in a bike shop) but it's a very high density rubberized foam that you can wedge between vibrating parts (panels and metal for example...)

Comp VRs come in dual 2s or 4s. He needs the dual 4 ohm to get a 2 ohm total load for his mono block amp.

OhioMSPinNJ said:
What is the difference between 15 inch Kicker Comp and 15 inch Kicker CompVR?

I have a MTX Thunder 500d amp, and listen to Hip Hop/Rap mostly. Which one would be better for my style?

Thanks in advance!

kicker subs are better in the upper bass region, and not as good in the low bass region, where most rap and hip hop has it's bass. i'd look into a different sub. i'd run the 500 watts to a K12 from elemental design, in the ported box they recomend on their site. you'll get the nice low bass, and it'll be plenty loud;)

Does Elemental offer a Trade in program?:D

I will even let them put one of those sticker decals on my car if they trade me!!! Free Advertising:D :D :D

Last edited:
You can always always sell 15" kicker to wannabe thugs. Or, anyone, really lots of ppl are impressed by big woofers, (thank rappers for this) Butyea, pawning it off shouldn't be a problem. My E12a has blown my mind. I'm a longtime kicker-user, had all sortsa comps and solobarics, and none of them even compare to the clean, low accurate bass of my Elmental. Infact. my 12 A's definate overkill for anything I listen to. In retrospect, a 12o, or even maybe a 10o would've been ideal. I think the best part of my Elemental isthat I have a really hard time telling where my mids leave off, and the big one takes over, I always noticed a seperation between my speakers and my kickers.

Back