ABS Feel

Snoopy_WG

:
2003 Mazda Protege 5
Hey,

It snowed a few days ago and that gave me a chance to test the ABS on my sweet new silver 2003 P5...

It worked, but I was suprised by how "grindy" the ABS felt when it engaged. I have used other ABS systems before and when they engage, you feel the brake pedal shudder or vibrate, but on my P5, it feels as if there is a... I don't know how to describe it... a roller or cam that is rolling under the pedal realeasing and engaging the brake... I know that sound weird and know that it's actually a pumper system that creakes the "ABS effect", but it feels really strange.

It also sounds strange. The brakes sound like there is grinding as if something is scraping (metal on metal) when the ABS is engaged.

Can someone else tell me what their ABS feels like? The sales guy I talked to said that this is normal (I know it should "chatter" as described in the manual, it doesn't feel right)?

Under normal, dray conditions, the brkes work fine with no odd noises. I will take it to the dealer when I get a chance, but I wanted to hear from you guys.

Thanks,

Warren

that is normal....the "metal-on-metal" contact you feel is....metal on metal. Also the ABS system w/ EBD in the P5, MSP and MP3 is amazing. Very fast and strong. Look at our stopping distances and you'll see we have a great ABS system. My MSP would stop on a dime and squirt out a nickle

Compared to other ABS equipped vehicles I have driven, the Protege leaves quite a bit to be desired. They work OK in rain, but suck in the snow.

Thanks for the replies. Sorry to post on a previous subject...

So you're saying that this doesn't damage my discs? It sure sound like it would.

Anyway, nice to know it something others are finding.... weird.

Warren

Nope, nothing to worry about damage. The sounds are completely normal...as strange as they may sound. The sound is the result of the brakes pulsating many times per second.

Is this specific to Mazda ABS systems (I assume that Mazda doesn't actually make the ABS system)?

I always thought the pumping in an ABS system happened rather fast (faster than a person could do themself).... In this case, it feels more like a "rolling" sensation under the brake pedal (accompanied by the grinding) that actually gets slower as the car slows down. Does the pumping rate of the ABS system change (slow) as the car slows down?

It's this "rolling" (if you're a mechanical person, I could describe it like a cam rolling under a follower - my brake pedal) in concert with the ginding that made me feel like something wasn't right.

I can't imagine all ABS systems are like this. Is this a Delphi system?

Thanks for all your advice.

Warren

The brake pulsates at about 15 times a second, so you will be able to feel it..

My ABS goes off all the ime, in the rain, or snow..

I love the EBDF. fronts are independent, but rears aren't..

I can even tell which front kicks in..

These brakes are great...

The hydrolic fluid is releasing the presure from the system, and that is why feel the feed back..

Back