Trying to replace stock bulb for Headlight?

acidbug

ZoomZoom CX-5
Contributor
:
‘19 CX-5 GTR Tu
How do i do it? Just pull off plastic cover...unplug from harness..than unscrew 2 screws holding it?

Thanks
Chas:confused:

nah its even simpler than that. . you dont' have to unscrew the screws. . just move that metal tension clip out of its holder and that should free the bullb

what kind of blubls you putting in. . my eurolites just blew out and i can't find my stockers. . so ill be needing blulbs when i get my car back

I just went to a local autoparts store..they gave me the replacement for the stockies...How do i move the metal tension slip out? It's dircetly on the screws...

It's actually pretty simple.

Going from memory:

-open hood
-look behind the light, you'll see the wires for the headlight - unplug the wires
-there is a rubbery ring around it, remove that - it pulls out semi easily
-you'll see the bulb's back in there, pull it out

replace doing the reverse.

cbcbd said:
It's actually pretty simple.

Going from memory:

-open hood
-look behind the light, you'll see the wires for the headlight - unplug the wires
-there is a rubbery ring around it, remove that - it pulls out semi easily
-you'll see the bulb's back in there, pull it out

replace doing the reverse.

your missing the part about the tension clip. . .IIRC it was a b**** to get it off but you have to like push it in and down for it to unclip. .it may just be easier to unscrew it and just screw it back on

-rich

traitorhound said:
your missing the part about the tension clip. . .IIRC it was a b**** to get it off but you have to like push it in and down for it to unclip. .it may just be easier to unscrew it and just screw it back on

-rich

yep, forgot about that one. yeah, that was kind of a pain, especially for the passenger side.

i was just doing this last night. to get the clip off, i used a flat head screwdriver to push the clip down and back and it popped off pretty easily.

(direct) Jeez turbo boy, you'd think after having all those mods, you would know how to install a simple headlight bulb.. If u look in your driver manual(thats what its there for) it would tell you..

Hypothetically speaking, let's say a person (in a fit of rage) broke the tension clip holding in the passenger side headlight. Any suggestions for how to replace this? Looks like a piece of plastic may have broken off as well?

Buy a new headlamp...

You may be able to rig something up if you remove the headlamp assembley. Look for the how-to on "painting headlights" and that'll give you full details!

Did you actually break the tensioner clip in two?! If not you should be able to re-use it but it may require removal of your bumper. My passenger side headlight has the piece broken that holds the tensioner clip in place. I was only able to tighten it down properly when I removed the bumper to paint my headlights....screwed it down tight before re-assembly. Good luck!

...and to make it more fun, go ahead and lock your bulb in the housing before you reinstall, then all you need to do is plug in the wiring harness

obzhagen said:
The tension clip (the metal piece) is still whole. I believe it is just the plastic piece (the hinge, if you will) is what broke. So now there is nothing to give the tension clasp tension!

Demoniam - when you mention replacement, do you mean the whole assembly, like this: http://www.partstrain.com/products/AutoBody/Lights_(Front)/2003~MAZDA~PROTEGE5~4~2.0~PRO-5-002.html?sku=M100145

I believe that is the same piece that is broken on mine. My clip wont even seat in place. However with the headlight removed I was able to seat the bulb in place and tighten the clip down with the screw (thanks Bruce for the extra set of hands). Then connected the harness when everything was back together. Less expensive than buying a new headlight, besides you have to remove the bumper to put on the new headlight...so it should be worth a try.

**edit**You own a sedan or hatch? The link you gave pictures the headlight for the sedan, the hatch has dual beams. Just wanted to point it out as I don't know if there would be a price difference.

Last edited:
yea passenger side clip is a b****. mine never goes on right after i install a new bulb it feels like i have to bend it around the back of the bulb. oh well. i have yet to break the thing so thats good lol

Hypothetically speaking, let's say a person (in a fit of rage) broke the tension clip holding in the passenger side headlight. Any suggestions for how to replace this? Looks like a piece of plastic may have broken off as well?

LOL!!! You just predicted my fate! I think Mazda won this battle.

Not sure how I'm going to fix this without buying a new headlight assembly

Those clips are the worst invention ever. In my old car all you had to do was plug the bulb into the new harness, put it into the headlight and turn about 30 degrees. Kind of like the high beam on the P5 (I think). It makes you think that mazda was thinking ahead of all the money they could make from selling replacement headlights when the plastic holding the clip broke.

Back