anyone replaced the stock battery?

03MSPRO

:
05 Nissan Frontier CC 6 spd
What kind and part number please?
Is there even a need? Can the stock battery support all the accesories running at the same time and the additional ones I added like gauges, radar detector and TT?

I don't think so. The only thing I added to my stock 2003.5 MSP was a 10" Infinity sub and bandpass enclosure. I took the two wires off of the 250W stock amp for the 8" subwoofer and connected my sub box off of it. Now, when lights are on and radio is on and bass is booming, you can see the lights dim (wwwaaaay tooooo much for my taste). I am going to save up for an Optima battery - this should help (yes, it even happens when driving and the alternator working).

- Brian

The D34, yellow top will be fine. You just have to look at the dimensions. Our battery, unlike Honda/Acura batteries are of typical size.

- Brian

Sparky.... or Boomer...

IMHO, the dinky-toy-size MSP battery causes several things, including the "dimming lights when the a/c or defroster is on" phenomenon. I can't believe such current variance is good for, say, the ecu and other electronics...

Soon as I can I'm measuring the battery space (it's bigger than the cheapo stock battery is), heading to Wally Mart, and buying the biggest capacity battery they have - IIRC a year or two ago it was competitively-rated with other batteries in Consumer Reports. No, it doesn't have the status of, say, an Optima, but it's also less than half the cost, lasts about forever, and cranks like mad when cold (personal experience).

Unless someone can convince me otherwise, it's physical psace limitation and mountings (and weight) that "specifies" the battery - in other words, getting more cold cranking amps or a higher-rated battery isn't going to hurt anything - as long as it securely mounts in the battery compartment - the voltage is the same.

OK, well, as long as both terminals don't hit the hood at the same time when you close it... then just call me "Sparky"... or "Boomer"... (shocked) (blowup) (boom08)

zmzmp5 said:
The D34, yellow top will be fine. You just have to look at the dimensions. Our battery, unlike Honda/Acura batteries are of typical size.

- Brian

The D34 will require an adapter tray since it's much shorter than out stock one

I use a yellow top optima, make sure you get the taller version or else you'll have to jury rig a way to hold it down (zip ties are my temporary solution)

Did you try a spacer UNDER the battery? That may raise it enough to be clamped down.

Back