Mazda quality/reliability vs Toyota?

Shroud

Hi folks!

In the past few years I had sworn eternal loyalty to Toyota. For 7 years I've been driving an exceptionally uncool 1996 Toyota Paseo (dont laugh). The reliability of this vehicle has been stellar. I have barely spent more than 1000 dollars Canadian in maintenance (and that includes a new windshield) other than regular oil changes. Ultra cold Canadian winters do nothing to slow the car down - it starts every time with little effort. Im enamored.

Now Im a little more grown up and have money, and have been shopping for something a little more mature and family oriented, but also "fun".

So far I looked at Corolla, Matrix and Camry.

Snore.

They are just...boring. The Matrix is of course far less boring, but the interior just left me cold. Felt awkward. The camry felt like I should be 50 years old, and the Corollas are just drab.

So my eye is wandering. So far I'm considering Accords, Altima/Maxima etc. The Altima felt like a boat to me when I sat in it, esp after the Paseo. And the cupholders suck. In Canada, Tim hortons coffee in a travel mug is an integral part of the driving experience.

I realize I'm asking for bias when I pose this question on a Mazda forum, but I'm wondering: what's the reliability position of the Mazda line? Competitive with Toyota and Honda? I assume it kills Chevy? :)

Reason Im asking about Mazda: I saw the new Mazda 3 sedan on the Canadian website. Gunmetal grey. Im in love. I want this car.

Bad.

:)

Any input? Just looking for general feedback.

Best Regards,

Jarrett

Last edited:
I think Mazda's reliabilty is close to Honda/Toyota, but still not quite on par. I don't forsee any major issues with the 3, but I would wait until next year to pick one up. Usually small problems are present in the first production year. The 6's had faulty foglight wiring.

The 7th generation Civics even had problems when they were released in 01. My brother's has little issues that were resolved for the 02+ models.

I need to make a trip to the dealerships to see the 3's when they come stateside :)

Hm. I might have to just roll the dice. Im definitely buying this summer - sick and tired of waiting. It's time to upgrade, now it's just a matter of picking a car.

The 3 looks so damn impressive, I might take a chance on first year production even though I agree with what you are saying about the "risk" factor.

Shroud said:
Hm. I might have to just roll the dice. Im definitely buying this summer - sick and tired of waiting. It's time to upgrade, now it's just a matter of picking a car.

The 3 looks so damn impressive, I might take a chance on first year production even though I agree with what you are saying about the "risk" factor.

They've been out in Japan for awhile. Its not like buying a 1st run american car.

You know what , there is a diference between a Mazda and a Toyota, a Toyota is a little more refined kind of like the girl at the party with the pretty dress and and great looks whos always worrying about breaking a nail or spilling some wine on herself, always going to the can to check her makeup. A Mazda is checking the guys out feeling in control of any situation pierced in places, we can only dream about and is confident but slightly reckless, (gee Iwant to meet this chick),rock and roll is her badge! Give me that Mazda girl any day! Verno! :D

portcom4 said:
You know what , there is a diference between a Mazda and a Toyota, a Toyota is a little more refined kind of like the girl at the party with the pretty dress and and great looks whos always worrying about breaking a nail or spilling some wine on herself, always going to the can to check her makeup. A Mazda is checking the guys out feeling in control of any situation pierced in places, we can only dream about and is confident but slightly reckless, (gee Iwant to meet this chick),rock and roll is her badge! Give me that Mazda girl any day! Verno! :D

Pierced in places?:eek: agh, I wouldnt drive that!
Sorry guy, I dont think my P5 resembles that type

I bought the Mazda 3. Just spent 2 hours cruising around in it doing Christmas shopping.

LOVE THIS CAR.

Jarrett

I too switched from Toyota

I have bought 2 Toyota trucks previously. They were incredible vehicles-I guess this is why we see Toyota trucks in third world countries being used as military vehicles on the evening news. The first one (1994) was totaled in 1996 with 93K miles; it's Texas and I did a lot of driving. I took out a full-sized Ford in a front end collision--the Ford was dead in its tracks and had to be pushed out of the intersection. My Toyota limped out of the way. Other than tires and oil and air filter changes, I only had to replace the horn due to sand and my original belts broke at 91K.
I got a 1997 Tacoma as a replacement and I spent maybe $800 (belt replacements, ignition system worked on and one "tune-up") other than oil and air filter changes. I got 103K miles out of it when the clutch was finally going out; his truck went through 2 front end wrecks and looked pretty ugly but still had an awesome engine. I had no money at the time to get the clutch fixed and the Mazda place was on the way to Toyota. I stopped in at Mazda (I really didn't like the local Toyota dealership) just to look and I was able to get a Mazda3i with no cash; it is a crazy economy.
I am expecting (hoping) for the same reliability out of Mazda. So far I am happy at over 1,100 miles.
CONGRATS on your purchase!

Last edited:
Shroud said:
I bought the Mazda 3. Just spent 2 hours cruising around in it doing Christmas shopping.

LOVE THIS CAR.

Jarrett

congrats on the new purchase!!

portcom4 said:

I will never look at my MSP the same way again (mspblack) (boom03)

Well said, well said (drinks)

Toy's and Honda's are slightly more reliable on a grand scale, but Mazda is right there. The new 3 isn't a brand new platform so it should be decent. Before I bought my '03 Protege I checked reliability (because my old Civic lasted 14 years) and Pro's are highly rated. I also have seen 7 year histories for manufacturers (possibly in Consumer Reports type buyers guide) and Mazda I believe was third or forth, somewhere with Honda, Toyota, Subaru, and I remember ahead of Mercedes and all the rest. That and the zoom zoom test drive sold me. I had been set on another Honda (boring) or a Corrola S.

I came from about 8 Honda's, I also used to work for a Honda dealership, and a Toyota one as well. And my god father is like the head of a Toyota Dealership so I have driven lots of toyota's. Until the last few years, most of the family drove Toyota's except myself and dad. Now, they all drive Honda's. At one point, there was over a dozen new honda's in my family.

GEtting to the point. Toyota's are BORING. Sloppy suspensions that don't handle well at all, Un-exhilarating engines that are, while reliable, just plain BORING. Exception being the all mighty and now retired Supra( if you can afford it) and maybe the celica, but I don't really like the celica either. No road feel imho, no fun spirit like other sport cars and just plain small, and kinda ugly stock.

As for reliablily, Toyota's are great....except for rust. All they do here is f'n rust. I have had friends/families with 1 yr old Camry's with RUST on them. I'm not kidding folks. Their trucks, even worse. Granted, they have gotten much better over the years, but I still see toyota trucks going around with rust on them.

That being said. I hate the new Honda Accords. i actually almost prefer the looks of the sportier version of the Camry over the Accord. The front on the accord just looks ugly. That's the first time in my life I've ever said that. But, driving the two, the accord is more fun hands down. My father just bought another coupe, v6, loaded, ground effects etc. STill ugly front on, but gorgeous inside. i find it funny your comparing the Camry, accord to a Mazda 3. That's Toyota's/Honda's Top sedan compared to Mazda's "econo" sedan.

Now, Mazda reliability compared to Honda/Toyota? Well, it's not quite there just yet, but very close. Although, comparing the New 3 with a Civic or corrola....I think you would be nuts to get one of those over the 3. If you haven't driven one yet...DO SO. Take a nice one out too, not a base model. What Mazda is doing with these 3's, and for the price.... can't be beat. it feels SO much like a more expensive car over a Civic( Even the protege did imho) it's not funny.

8 Honda's, I'm on my second Mazda, and I have no intention of going back to Honda.....unless they release another prelude :), but even then, if there's a Mazdaspeed 3, I'll probably just stick to Mazda.

I'm in Canada, I get temps below -40C at times over night. I come out in the morning, I turn the key, it starts. Every single day. I enjoy driving passed all the domestic car owners on my road in morning, out with hair driyers, booster cables, trying to get their cars started :) I have this one guy with a Neon on the road, everytime I see him doing this, I'll honk the horn, waive, and smile as I go buy in my Warm Mazda :). It Drives him nuts( I know the guy)

I had a Corolla for years, no rust problem. Not that much fun to drive but the fuel economy was better, not as much rattling, slightly better stock speakers, and the cup holders were usable (though chintzy as ****.) I will attest that the reliability was really first class. "Do I even need to remember to refill the gas tank?" Anyway. For the way my P5 looks and drives, and for how much it costs, and extra options, interior feel, and especially LEG ROOM, I wouldn't go back. It rates better than my old Corolla for reliability too, but we'll see.

I do agree that toyota is top notch when it comes to quality, but when it comes down to the performance side, toyota is lacking. i was considering getting a celica gts, but it just didnt do it for me. Toyota needs more exciting cars to compete with the other companies. They need to put out a turbo mr2, celica and a worthy successor to the great supra.

Back