Need New Breaks!

LinuxRacr

Contributor
:
2001 Mazda MP3
Anyone know of any good break pads or rotors to get? I am almost at 31,000 miles on my ride and heard the skeeit, skeeit warning on my breaks going home yesterday from work.

I know the answer here...had to flip open a copy of my favorite magazine Grassroots Motorsports for the website info, though.

EBC USA makes brake pads in various flavors. The "GreenStuff" pads are perfect for a street/performance application.

Their website is: www.ebc-brakes.com

I plan on getting a set for myself soon (before I need new ones).

Hey linux,

Make sure you get a set of cross drilled rotors to go with the pads. I have found that by the way me and you drive, our rotors tend to get very very hot and seem to warp easily. Just my two cents.

warped rotors......

i have to be dreaming of just paraniod....i think my rotors are warped....only because when i press the pedal i feel them vibrating....really bad...warp easly ...I THINK SO!!!!!!!....time to get vented or cross drilled.....dam it pisses me off though...dam s***!!!!!!!!!!!

Make sure you get a set of cross drilled rotors to go with the pads. I have found that by the way me and you drive, our rotors tend to get very very hot and seem to warp easily. Just my two cents
Rotors do not warp under extreme heat conditions, be careful though ...after a spirted drive not to use your e-brake because that will cause our rotors to warp. Cross drilled or slotted rotors prevent brake fade over extended use, by dissapating the hot gas. They do not improve braking or prevent rotors from warping. On the contrary improperly crossed drill rotors will warp easier then regular ones due to there lackof structural integrity.;)

spoolinmp3(2) said:

Rotors do not warp under extreme heat conditions, be careful though ...after a spirted drive not to use your e-brake because that will cause our rotors to warp. Cross drilled or slotted rotors prevent brake fade over extended use, by dissapating the hot gas. They do not improve braking or prevent rotors from warping. On the contrary improperly crossed drill rotors will warp easier then regular ones due to there lackof structural integrity.;)

Whatever!!!

What do you think the ebrake does? It causes your tires to flat spot, or if your tires are really sticky, then they grip and the brakes give way. These causes extreme heat and the rotors warp. This is what my understanding is. I have come to find out that yes it does promote more even wear of the brake pads, and give them more life, and also tend to give people with a more spirited driving habbit a better overall set of brakes. They do seem to warp less easily with my experience. But also I do not buy cheap s*** cross drilled rotors. I buy the real ones that are made for extreme usage.

My 2 cents

What do you think the ebrake does? It causes your tires to flat spot, or if your tires are really sticky, then they grip and the brakes give way. These causes extreme heat and the rotors warp. This is what my understanding is.
I am sorry, I meant to say after a hard drive like when we go out on the track, you dont leave your e-brake on because it clamps the hot rotor and warps it, I did not mean it in the context of ebraking. So after a hard drive when you park your car you dont put the ebrake on.

They do seem to warp less easily with my experience. But also I do not buy cheap s*** cross drilled rotors. I buy the real ones that are made for extreme usage.

Drilled rotors do not have a tendancy to warp less than regular rotors, but if you do buy improperly drilled rotors (cheap s***:D )
then they are more inclined to warp and especially crack.

Basically all a drilled rotor does is dissapate gasses. It does not give better braking performance or stronger clamping power. If you want that then you will have to buy bigger rotors(preferably cross drilled) and new calapers(spelling?). I am pretty sure our cars come with dual piston calapers. You would want to go with 4 or even 6 piston calapers, this will increase the clamping power and the bigger disks will increase the surface area friction that the pad has to rub against subsequently increasing braking power.

To get a full brake set like I just mentioned, will run you about 2 grand. Just to get drilled rotors will ony cost you 100 dollars a pop they will not increase your braking performance, they will just help brake fade. Wich is a very big concern for race car drivers, because they need consistent braking.

As apexistud stated before all we really need (since our brake systems are fairly good) is some cross drilled rotors, stainless steel lines to prevent that mushy feeling in the pedal under hard braking and some high temp brake fluid like motul. Unless you regularly track race your car then the extreme uprade is warranted.

I am sorry jag if I seem like I am correcting you because I am not, you are very correct on every thing you said except I have to disagree with you on the statement that drilled rotors help prevent warping:D

The reason why I know so much about this because I used to work for r-speed www.Rspeed.net , and I specialized in brakes and turbo systems. So I have a little backround and went to a week long seminar that baer was holding a couple years ago.

Well thats my 3 cents anyways:D
And Jag, I will always remeber you man......you helped a brother out when I was in need(you should know what I am talking about;) )
Thanks man:D

When it comes to Cross drilled rotors. Don't expect to shave feet off of you stopping distances. To obtain that, you should look into larger calipers as Spoolin said. Or opt for a better brake pad. One of the other things that is overlooked usually are the tires. As we all know, stickier tires will stop quicker and grip better in the corners.

For most daily driven applications. Crossdrilled rotors are not needed. For most applications even slotted rotors are a bit of over kill. The pads and calipers are the main pieces in a good brake setup assuming the diameter of the rotor is adequate for the weight of the vehicle. If you take a look at some of the Brembo OE systems or Project Mu systems, they stick with solid disks but use a larger caliper and different pad usually with organic material. Even Endless uses solid disks for most of their setups and sometimes slotted, but I don't see to many cross drilled. Of course each to their own, but I think that most racers would agree with me on this.

I personally don't care too much for the cross drilled or slotted rotors, sure the look cool. But they're not always better than the stock setup. On my Civic, which was front/disk rear/drum. Upgrading the rotors and pads did wonders. I did a lot of read and research before I bought the setup I did on the Civic and the only thing I regret not getting was SS lines. From most of my reading a searching, I learned to steer clear or cross-drilled rotors that were drilled after the rotor was made which messed with the integrity of the rotor like Spoolin said. Most of the cheap rotors are drilled after they're made. The downside to most big brake setups is that you end up gaining weight at each corners because of the big brake setups being heavier. Wilwood is one of the few that save you weight over the stock units. But what you have to ask yourself is, "Is a big brake setup better than ABS?" The answer is now if you're talking about straight line braking. The answer is yes is you're speaking of autocrossing or track racing.

Ok, I will agree with you on the ebrake thing. Because if you drive hard then stop, pull the ebrake hard, get out of your car and leave it indeed could leave a dip or warp in the rotor. But that would again just reiterate what I said before. When you drive the car hard and the brakes get very hot imagine stomping on the brakes. That would put a instant clamp just like putting the ebrake on. That is what I am talking about.

As for what I ment in this whole stupid post was that our rotors tend to get a little hot. I know cross drilled rotors do not give shorter stopping distance. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure that out because the rotors will have less surface are. But I have seen in my experice that it helps vent a little to have cross drilled rotors. I also figured that with about $10 to $20 dollars difference, I would personally go with a set of crossed drilled rotors. That is unless I wanted to have real race inspired stopping power, in that case I would go with a Baer brake setup.

That is my understanding/preference.

My brakes started grinding yesterday in the rear!:mad: On top of that, I have no money to get them fixed! I wish I could sell those two extra TV's I acidentally bought that got me in this hole. :( I guess I will be grinding til Friday.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Hey Linux, Corksport has got the cross drilled and slotted rotors for sale. I believe the cross drilled are 189 a piece. If you really want some serious brakes contact KVR performance. I looked into the whole break issue when I first got my ES cause I can't stand a car that green fades and won't stop. They make an entire kit including 4 piston calipers, larger cross drilled rotors, stainless steel lines, and EBC green stuff pads. I think if I remember right you can substiute the pads for another brand, but thats what I was quoted with. All in all the package is right at $1300.00. BTW I'm not even sure our cars have 2 piston calipers in the front, I think they're only singles like the rears.

20ESGuy,

Go to RR-Racing . They currently have a special on KVR rotors, and Carbon Fiber Pads for $325 until May 30th. This is for all four wheels! I am that broke right now that I can't even get that!

B-R-A-K-E-S, not breaks!

Anyways, stock brakes shouldn't wear out at 31,000 unless you just stomp on them all the time, normal slow breaking reduces wear and tear.

Maybe to help Linux get his brakes, I will sell naked pics of me.

Let's start the bidding at $100 for just me sitting there.

$250 for me doing something.

he he he

i'll give u $5 to delete that post asiansloppie.....that seems to be the biggest bid u will get for u sweety....hehe

Hey LinuxRacr where on that site u see anythng for the protege??....i cant find the special you are takin bout...i am gonna get that hopefully i can get it i mean....
:D

Last edited:
You can't get anything for $5 from me, not even a smile.

Looks like we can't go on vacation now since we ain't got the money and with somebody buying performance brakes, it really isn't going to happen.

what about some regular brakes?

Back