Scratched up dash paint touch up

DaViper

:
2016 Mazda6 GT
Hi,
I did my best not to scratch up my dash when I had to remove my radio a few times, however I didn't do a great job. I got one big scratch up above the hazard light switch, and severla scratches on the side of the radio. All the scratches are in the areas with the stock silver paint. Does anybody know what paint/other stuff I should use to touch up this dash and make it look new again? I'm hoping I don't have to repaint the whole dash since I really don't want to have to remove the whole dash peice since it's a pain to do. I'm hoping to find some paint that is the exact color of the dash paint so I can just touch it up, and hopefully maybe even cover the scratches so they're level with the rest of the dash.

Thanks!
-DaViper

Ok, I won't be able to take some until tomorrow afternoon, but I'll take some then. The scratches are deep enough for the black under the silver paint to show.

Thanks!
-DaViper

If its really that deep of a scratch you might need to take off the center stereo surroundings and sand it down and repaint it. Thats what I'll be doing to mine when I get some free time. Best paint to use is Krylon Fusion. Its a spray paint made especially for plastics. You can buy it at Ace Hardware for like 3.49$ a can. No primer required.

Ok, sorry it took me so long to take some pics, but here they are! The best result of these pics so fr is I learned my digital camera has a macro mode! Al this time my close ups were blurry until now! Anyways, please give me feedback on how to touch up these scratches, as you can see, the big one above the hazard light button is pretty deep.

Attachments

• dash scratches 1.jpg
    dash scratches 1.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 450
here's the other one, showing the deeper scratch.

Attachments

• dash scratch 2.jpg
    dash scratch 2.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 390
take it off and sand it down entirely and then paint it. you can pick your color this time; I've always thought black w/ clearcoat would look nice!

Is it hard to take off? I don't really want to change the look, so is there a way to just get a new dash peice to replace it with (that has no scratches)?

Thanks!
-DaViper

you'd be better taking it out and doing it yourself, that center trim piece is pretty damn expensive at the dealer.(something like 300bucks?)

Anybody think I can get one from someone here? I really don't want to repaint it since my parents (who purchased the car) won't let me modify anything permanently, and I don't really feel comfortable doing all the repainting myself. Is there anybody in the Boston area who maybe could take it off, sand it then repaint it for me if I pay them? Otherwise, anybody have a perfect condion dash peice they can sell me?

Thanks!
-DaViper

Maybe I should just get a carbon fiber dash kit. Anybody know any nice ones that will cover all my scratches?

I got sctatch on my dash when I took my radio out and I used a toothpick and some touch up paint from the silver proteges. I doent look factory, but doesnt look too bad either. I was really pissed at myself when I did it.

Have any pics of the touch up? That's really what I was trying to see if I could do when I originally posted. You just sort of filled the scratch with the tuch up paint, right? Please post a pic so I can see if it'll be good enough for me.

Thanks!
-DaViper

Sorry, I wish I could but I dont have a camera. Hopefully for christmas I will have one.

why dont you just paint it with plastic paint, you could even change the color of the trim... it looks nice, we did this to a ford f-150 and are about to do it to my pro5. you can find plastic paint almost anywhere. (Wall mart, Auto Zone, Pep Boyz, Ace Hardware)...just make sure you primer the plastic first with primer suitable for plastics. otherwise it will crack...just ask for some assistance when prchasing the paint. if done right it will look great!

Uhm, wouldn't silver model paint be perfect for this? There is also model 'contour filler' if needed.

Ok, well I just purchased a dash peice from someone. Here is a pic of the scratch it has on it, and it looks like there may be something in the bottom left corner that may need to be sanded or need some bondo or something. Let me knwo what you think I should do to this. I dont think it's so scratched up thast the whole thing needs to be repainted, but I want it to pretty much look new. I'm also a little scared about taking the old peice off and I dont want to mess anything up...how much do you think the dealer would charge me to just have them switch the two dash peices for me once I touch up the new one?
dash2.jpg

Thanks!
-DaViper

Last edited:
has anyone contacted the dealers to see if you can get touch up paint for these peices??? mine is p5 new and i can already tell this will be and isue!!!

someone here added a screen and repainted theirs. it looked really close to the original color too. he used Seattle Silver from Dupli-Color

but i remember seeing all these silver trims on a site selling for less than $150. i'll try and find it

Back