Carbon Fiber DIY !!!

Andres

:
RX8 40th Anniversary Ed.
Hello everyone,

We have a new Carbon Fiber product just launched during the last SEMA show. It's a 19x23-inch Carbon Fiber sheet that comes with a 3M 467MP Hi-performance adhesive backing.

This is a flexible REAL Carbon Fiber sheet made out of 2x2 Twill-weave fabric, with an extremely smooth and bright finish.

This product will allow you to do many DIY projects, to cover plastic trim pieces, dashboard panels and other parts in your car, and give them the look of real carbon fiber. This product can be cut easily with a Xacto knife or scissors, so different designs, logos, words or brands can be drawn on the adhesive backing, then you will just need to cut along the lines to have a custom-made Real Carbon Fiber badge, sign work, sticker, etc... (thumb)

There are various important characteristics to this product :

1) Every time you cut the fabric either with scissors or a knife, the edges stay clean and black. This is due to the flexible nature of the resin, and that's a great thing since you'll never have any little carbon hairs sticking out of the edges...

2) Since this is a Real Carbon Fiber product, there is NO way to stretch it with heat. No way at all !. So if you want to cover a certain piece with a 3-dimensional shape (let's say something in your dashboard) you'll be able to do it as long as the shape isn't too complex, and if the curves you want to cover flow in the same direction (like a pipe or rod).

3) The product is not specified for high temperatures, so please don't use it directly over the valve cover, near the exhaust manifold, the radiator, etc. This product can be used to cover certain parts in the engine bay such as the fuse-box top lid, as long as they're not too close to sources of heat. Please understand the use of carbon fiber sheet sections inside the engine bay will affect its life expectancy anyway. Heat may also affect the 3M adhesive, and after some time the material may peel-off.

4) Currently the Carbon Fiber sheets are only available in 19x23-inch dimensions and standard carbon color. Due to the nature of the manufacturing process, doing bigger sizes it's not as easy as simply cutting the thing in bigger sizes... In the future we are studying to manufacture these Carbon Fiber sheets in Silver finish, and Carbon/Kevlar options.

Now, I'll show you some pictures so you can have a better idea of the product. Please note in the picture where the adhesive backing is peeled-off that the sheet is real carbon. This is not a vinyl look-a-like thing...! It's THE REAL DEAL BABY !!! :D

Where-to-buy...? at www.carper4mance.com of course !!! :cool:
The product is right in the main page.

I forgot to mention : Retail price is only $64.90 !

I'll try to answer questions as often as possible, but please keep in mind we're on the East coast.

carbonfiber%20sheet%201.jpg

carbonfiber%20sheet%202.jpg

Later,
Andrs.
:p

Last edited:
about how thick is it, i may be able to die cut (complex) custom logos out of it as a side project :D :D

maybe pretty cool. you ought to send me some free sheets and then i can test them and apply them and right a review for them with pics. Then everyone on the board will get a buyers point of veiw and not just hte manufacturers

dosle said:
about how thick is it, i may be able to die cut (complex) custom logos out of it as a side project :D :D

Hi dosle,

The CF Sheet is 1mm in thickness. Die cutting may be possible since cutting it manually is so easy...

Later,
Andrs.

KYMP5 said:
maybe pretty cool. you ought to send me some free sheets and then i can test them and apply them and right a review for them with pics. Then everyone on the board will get a buyers point of veiw and not just hte manufacturers
Hi KYMP5,

Actually your idea is pretty good...!
Let me tell you what: If you do a poll and the rest of the people in the forum choose you to do a customer's evaluation of the product, I'll send you one for free, no strings attached!. (Of course they may choose someone else ;) ), so that's up to the people... If you hate the product, bash it all over the forum; if you like it, let us know too...!

Do you like the idea ?

Later,
Andrs.

cool, i'll keep it in mind.. although there isn't anything i would like to make in CF if anyone would like to have something cut out i'd like to give it a shot.

i'm wondering does the material have a flex/memory with it if you are hand cutting? does the weave pull is what i would like to get an idea for.

matt

I'm curious about the quality, I remember a few people were having issues with CF fading over time

You shouldn't have issues with CF on the interior of your car fading, unless it was in direct sunlight all day...

RSP5 said:
andres can you get that in different colors
Hi RSP5,

Like I said on my original post, for now we only have it in regular carbon fiber (the usual graphite). We expect to have it in the near future in Silver Carbon Fiber as well, and probably in Carbon/Kevlar and even some color variations, depending on the sales figures...

Later,
Andrs.

Vulcanon said:
I'm curious about the quality, I remember a few people were having issues with CF fading over time

Hi Vulcanon,

You're right; when carbon fiber products aren't UV-resistant, they'll turn white-ish / Yellow-ish after a few months if it's really sunny.
Our own products, like the CF Sheet, use UV-resistant resins, so they can withstand sun light for a long time. We warranty the finish on those CF sheets for a full year...!

Later,
Andrs.

Back