Body Kits: JDM fiberglass or Polyurethane?????

:
Protege 5
wassup peepz!

1st off id just like to say "wassup" to all ya'll protege owners out there. i research the net everyday looking for every lil tid bit of info on my p5 and this sites always the place to be.

Anywayz bak to the thread. Rite now i have a stock exterior p5 and im lookin to do some changes. Im lookin for a GOOD body kit and not a lip but it needs to be something that'll last and wont break or crack easily cuz its gonna be my daily driver:D Im lookin at Wings West cuz their kits are made of urethane(something OEM bumpers are made frum) so i know its gonna be durable and will last. But i like JDM kits better cuz of their looks. The only thing bad bout, say a Mint blue kit, is that its made of fiberglass. Though JDM kits are FRP( "F"iberglass "R"einforced "P"lastic) and its a little more durable than American fiberglass kits, fiberglass is still fiberglass nonetheless.

So whut should i do?? Go urethane or FRP(fiberglass reinforced plastic)???:confused:

**Another question on the subject: How strong is FRP really?? Will it crack if i hit a dip or break even easier? Is there a difference between American fiberglass kits and FRP kits? Is it stonger than urathene maybe??(speak up Autoexe or Mint blue kit owners please):D

Thanks everyone~!!!

hey just wanted to say Welcome!! and where are u from???

as to your question, im not really sure, i was told not to get a fiberglass spoiler as it would eventually crack (dunno)

Dreeza said:

as to your question, im not really sure, i was told not to get a fiberglass spoiler as it would eventually crack (dunno)

I work with FG and it doesn't just "CRACK"
It will actually have to take an impact or stressed beyond its limits before it will crack.
I have owned quite a few daily drivers with FG body kits without a problem with cracking.It does help to get kits that are high quality as there is definately a difference in this.You just cant pull up and smack a parking block and expect the bumper not to crack.
Matt

Dreeza said:

Thanks for the welcome!:D As where im frum...Long Beach, Cali man.~payce!!

ForceFed said:
I work with FG and it doesn't just "CRACK"
It will actually have to take an impact or stressed beyond its limits before it will crack.
I have owned quite a few daily drivers with FG body kits without a problem with cracking.It does help to get kits that are high quality as there is definately a difference in this.You just cant pull up and smack a parking block and expect the bumper not to crack.
Matt

LOL, ok, well, thats why i said that was what i was told...exactly how much stress can it hande compared to urethane??

uh my kit is 100% urethane and 100% jdm... :) AUTOEXE from japan only makes their kits in urethane while the fabrications (dg motorsports) make theirs in fiberglass or carbon fiber. www.boomplustoys.net or www.corksport.com if u want to order aE accessories, peace - chris

Last edited:
get urethane if you got the bucks.

i got a grill made from fiberglass.....but its just a grill. if something ends up cracking it it'll probably mess up my whole front end too, lol

I have the mintblue body kit but have'nt driven my car much (50 miles last 6 months ) so I can't really tell you durable it is under daily use. But I will say that it is the very well built perhaps one of the cleanest strongest fiberglass components I have ever seen .-Dan-

I got a mintblue an drive it everyday, I scrape once or twice real bad :( , but I see no cracks or dents or anything on my front bumper. BTW it is molded.

I have also owned a WingsWest kit before, it was also pretty good, good thing with urethane is you can bend flex and all that good stuff, I think it would need like an actual car accident to break. But again I have no problems with my fiberglass kit.

Back