MSP pros & cons

Black Majik MSP

Contributor
:
2003.5 Titanium Gray MSP #1699
I have been talking to someone who is considering getting an MSP & we agreed that it would be very helpful to start this thread for people who are researching the MSP. Please list all pros & cons that you have with YOUR Mazdaspeed. Only list real factual things please: for ex, "My car is really cool" doesn't help, but "I get compliments from random people all the time" does (which I do :D ). I'll start off with my own & after we get a bunch of responses, I can edit my post to include all of them. For any cons you list, please also include the associated fix (if there is one).

PROS
  • PRICE (depends on location, but generally cheaper than just about any other sport sedan or coupe in it's class...especially with some of the steals people are getting)
  • compliments from random people & all of your friends
  • phenomenal handling (best in FWD, best under $35k, 8th best in the world)
  • sound system is perfect for listening to MP3s, even while driving on the highway with the windows down
  • gauges look good & are easy to read day & night
  • stock Bridgestones have excellent grip (sorry winter folks :p )
  • quick car, easily upgradeable to fast with some basic bolt-ons & raising the boost
  • best stock wheels included on any car
  • interior is gorgeous (matching stitching on seats, shift boot, & steering wheel)
  • limited slip ROCKS! (I pulled a 2.25 60' with my car still stock)
  • heavy-duty clutch
  • heavy-duty driveshafts
  • Mica paint colors are incredible & unique
  • interior controls & console are all well placed & easy to use & there is more than enough storage space (pocket on left, radio pocket, space behind cupholders)
  • steering control is very responsive & provides excellent feedback
  • braking is VERY good (60-0mph brake test should be a part of everyone's test drive :D )
  • aftermarket support (despite what people may think, the support is there & just about anything you might want is available or in development)
  • Garret T25 spools up very fast (good torque in the low to mid rev range)
  • limited production car
    icon2.gif
    very unique & not something you'll see 3x a day (unless you live in Orlando :p )

CONS
  • HESITATION - ECU reflash from dealer fixes it (if you want to run higher boost, you can choose not to get the flash & attempt to correct with Joe P FPR instead)
  • CLUNK in rear suspension - dealer will replace bushings with part #BN7H-156E (past "fixes" haven't been permanent...no guarantee that this one will be)
  • rust on brake rotor hubs - fixed by dealer
  • coolant leak - fixed by dealer
  • clicking sound when letting off the gas after backing up
  • head unit "flips out" - hit reset button
  • clicking sound & associated vibration come & go whenever car is on (only audible at idle) - greatly reduced when coolant leak was fixed by dealer, but still somewhat present
  • driving is very linear (tires follow all of the grooves in the road)
  • 1 to 2 shift is somewhat notchy - I will attempt to improve shifter feel with Kartboy shifter bushings & Redline synthetic tranny fluid, but it probably won't eliminate it
  • frequently difficult to engage/disengage reverse - try putting it into reverse when rolling or let off clutch & depress again
  • no cruise control (only really wanted it for trip to NOPI) - I think it can be installed by the dealer
  • no matching aluminum dead pedal (OK, I'm just being picky on this one)
  • horrible wheel hop at the track (I still need to work on my launch) - I will attempt to eliminate with AWR motor mounts & TEIN springs
  • acceleration seems to drop off as you get close to redline (due to small turbo)
  • stock alarm is WAY too sensitive - easily fixed by turning the white knob on the shock sensor to the left
  • not enough bolstering on the sides of the stock seats to hold you in during hard cornering - can be corrected by replacing stock seats with aftermarket racing seats
  • ECU is currently unable to be tuned - Spool has a new piggyback coming out soon: DETAILS
  • internals either aren't forged or are, but are still relatively weak (the max amount of power that can be safely run is limited to 250whp) - can be corrected by upgrading to forged internals (again, not cheap)
  • stock diverter valve leaks - I fixed it by replacing with Forge diverter valve
  • problems with sub (too "boomy" or goes out) - fixed by dealer
  • no intermittent wiper control - can be purchased from Mazdastuff.com (for the P5...not sure if it works on the MSP)
  • stock Bridgestones SUCK in snow - buy winter wheels & tires
  • lack of a 6 speed tranny means highway cruising is a little high
  • no standard sunroof (not that I care...I get superior structural rigidity instead :p ) - can be dealer installed under warranty with factory quality for around $1000
  • Callaway elbow on stock airbox sucks in hot air & is prone to falling off (causing the fan to blow directly into the airbox, which can make the car stall) - replace with an aftermarket intake

*CONS in bold are those that I have experienced & might not exist on other MSPs, but I am listing for the benefit of anyone who might get them*

When describing your +/-, keep in mind that this thread is primarily for people who aren't familiar with the MSP.

Last edited:
That's all I can think of at the moment, so now it's everyone else's turn to contribute. Someone will of course need to add Hesitation & the Clunk (I've been flashed, but I never felt the hesitation & I don't have the clunk).

I'd also like to suggest that the mods make this a sticky.

"short shifter is the best i've driven"

You must not have driven any nice-shifting car then. i.e. Miata...

KpaBap said:

That's just from my experience. People have said that Honda short shifters are wonderful, but I like mine much better than the one in my friend's Civic.

KpaBap said:

Yeah Im not really happy with the shifting...I mean its alright but not as good as a Honda/BMW shifter.

Its evident a tranny from a base Protege is being used.

i especially like after you beat someone in a race.. and when they check out ur car they are like damnnnnnnnn.. i thought u had a stock protege and i get to laugh in there face:D

If everyone disagrees with me, I guess I'll have to take the shifter out...I guess I'm the only person who really likes the way it feels (with the exception of the 1-2 & reverse).

RXMmazdaspeed said:
i especially like after you beat someone in a race.. and when they check out ur car they are like damnnnnnnnn.. i thought u had a stock protege and i get to laugh in there face:D

Black Majik MSP said:
Only list real factual things please: for ex, "My car is really cool" doesn't help, but "I get compliments from random people all the time" does (which I do :D ).

Besides, unless you're a total idiot, I think it's fairly obvious that our cars aren't ordinary Proteges.

actually i really like the shifter.. the only complaint is it doenst go totally into reverse all the time.. but other than that i find it quite smooth and enjoy it a lot.

Holy s*** dude, your sig pic is so small I can barely see it ;)...

IMO the stock MSP shifter is fine for "stock"...The engagement is good and it feels meaty...The gearbox is what doesn't like to be hurried, and creates the notchy feeling...and don't look at it like you have a gearbox from "a base protege", pretty much the same one was used in $24,000 MX-6 LS's a few years ago...just with slightly altered ratios...It is light years better than Sentra boxes...

I'll agree with most of your pros and cons, but the shifter does leave something to be desired. I really liked my Hurst Competition Plus shifter in my Mustang. Short, sturdy, and had adjustable stops so you couldn't bend the shift forks on hard shifts at the track. I know proper shifting is a talent, but I don't have a velvet touch, so the positive stops where a good piece of mind.

I doubt that the downpipe installation is going to fix the acceleration drop-off at redline. That's more of a function of cam/intake manifold/turbo etc... design. Besides, you really don't need to spin the motor up to redline when racing :)

Seats! Geez, why didn't they at least use those cool Miata seats, or RX-8 seats? Just reskinned Protege seats for a car they touted as a good corner carver? Stupid bean counters :bs:

LSD, nice!

Variable Assist Power Steering!! Very Cool. Not too many of us talk about this function, and it's the first car I've owned that has it! Very nice match to the LSD, and one of the good ideas Mazda incorporated into this car.(thumb)

I got the info for the downpipe solution from CustomMSP's thread. Why wouldn't I want to rev all the way to redline (I go to 7 at the track)?

In addition to the power steering, I should add that I forgot about the special safety feature with the braking system (can't remember what it's called). The way that the brake lines are paired up diagonally (front left/rear right & front right/rear left) so that you always stop in a perfectly straight line & if a brake line ever failed, it wouldn't cause the car to completely pull in one direction.

I know there are people out there with more pros & cons from their personal experience. No one has even replied with Hesitation & Clunk yet. I need feedback people! :D

Installshield 2 said:
IMO the stock MSP shifter is fine for "stock"...The engagement is good and it feels meaty...The gearbox is what doesn't like to be hurried, and creates the notchy feeling...and don't look at it like you have a gearbox from "a base protege", pretty much the same one was used in $24,000 MX-6 LS's a few years ago...just with slightly altered ratios...It is light years better than Sentra boxes... [/B]

I agree in that the shifter feels fine for stock, and that the tranny is ultimately the weak link. Think of it however you like - base Protege, old MX-6, etc. The fact is, Mazda did not put very much engineering effort into this component. The RSX-S 6-speed is probably the best transmission I've felt anywhere near its price range. Triple cone synchro's on 1st and 2nd along with double cones on 3-6 give it an absolutely silky feel. That's what really makes a tranny smooth, not shifter bushings. Redline MTL might help a bit, but it won't address the overall engineering of the gearbox.

I'd move to have the shifter feel removed from the PROS list, primarily because of the general consensus. Also, if it's possible the exhaust rattle was caused by hitting it on something, it might not be appropriate to include it among the CONS, unless other people have had the same problem.

Oh, and as far as handling - maybe note that this is possibly the best handling FWD car available - even better than the Integra Type R.

The power dropping off close to redline is primarily a function of turbo sizing. The turbo is meant to increase mid-range power the most, not top-end. A larger downpipe will definitely help your spool-up times, but ultimately, the turbo is not meant to push a huge volume of air at high RPM's.

Sorry, I'm not trying to cut anyone down. Just adding my 2 cents for corrections to this list. Overall, it's an incredible car. The handling won me over, and the tunability of a factory turbo is definitely alluring. Once more aftermarket parts are released and something is done with a programmable ECU, the possibilities will soar.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

Pros:

Appearance - Looks more expensive than it is. I get complimented all the time, from friends and strangers.

Speed - Fairly quick car even when stock, it's faster than most cars on the road.

Handling - The best front-wheel drive car, and the 8th best handling car in the world. Enough said.

Stereo - The best stock system I've heard.

Aftermarket Support - Despite what a lot of people think, there IS good aftermarket support. From intakes, exhausts, turbo upgrades, FMIC's, forged internals, standalones/piggybacks, etc. you could make this car into a beast. Just because there's not as many parts available for the MSP as, say a Civic, doesn't mean the aftermarket support sucks.

Cons:

No cruise control. (can be added)
Stock subwoofer is boomy. (can be replaced)
Not fast enough for the competition (can be fixed)
Stock tires suck ass in the snow (they're summer tires, buy winter wheels & tires)
Hesitation (can be fixed with flash (for free), engine upgrades, or a combination of the two)
Clunking rear suspension (replace bushings under warranty for free)

And the MP3 ID3 tags CAN be displayed on the stock head unit.

Black Majik MSP said:
I got the info for the downpipe solution from CustomMSP's thread. Why wouldn't I want to rev all the way to redline (I go to 7 at the track)?

Mainly because you've past the peak hp and torque curves by then. If I remember correctly, I got my best times at the track shifting at around 6.5k rpm. And as praetor stated, the dp is going to give you the most gain at lower rpm when the turbo spools up quicker due to lower back pressure. I don't want to get in an argument with you, and I haven't read CustomMSP's thread about the downpipe. I'm just relating to you what I noticed with my downpipe install. :)

Oh, one thing to add to the Con list:

The lack of multiple intermittant windshield wiper speeds! Talk about annoying! Why on earth did they do away with this?

praetor: good points...list updated

Paul: the only competition to that statement is the 20th Anniversary GTI...

upon3_jazz20th_2334.jpg

jersey_emt: added points that weren't already listed; please tell me how to get the ID3 tags to display

Black Majik MSP said:
praetor: good points...list updated

Paul: the only competition to that statement is the 20th Anniversary GTI...

upon3_jazz20th_2334.jpg

jersey_emt: added points that weren't already listed; please tell me how to get the ID3 tags to display

I will totally agree with that statement, that is a gorgeous car. there is a blue one that lives around me. I just cant wait to pull up next to him, or catch him in the twisties (laugh)

Back