15,000 mile Service at Mazda dealer...question?

digitalpro5

:
2003 Blackmica Protege5
I'm lazy its midnight, and I just thought of this. After an entire year with the car, my dealer finally sends a letter telling that I have not come in for service (why cause they cost to much). Can you believe this is the first letter they have ever sent me about my car ever since I bought it, geez I would think they would be concerned at least or advertise more about there services, but this is it a year later.

Anyways since I've been doing my oil change outside of the dealership, and have changed my filter, and that my 3000 mile oil change is coming up now 13,000 miles (i'm at 12,500+ right now), should I just wait till I go for my 15,000 mile service for them to do everything (Mazda). Or should I just change my oil and filter now (when they are "suppose" to be changed), and go take the 15,000 mile service when I do get to it.

My first thought was too wait till I got close to 15,000 and get everything done at the dealership, but now because of the SoutherCal Fires I'm leaning towards getting my oil and filter changed soon, and wait 2,000 miles for the service.

So what should I do?
What do they do at the dealer for the 15,000 mile?
Lastly will they flush my radiator and add coolent cause I have not done that at all for a year and I'm 2 inches from it going to low. Oh and price?

My god it costs $35 just for and oil change at the dealer, I don't even want to know what it'll cost for this service.

i never even got a letter!!!!! oh well i will check everything myself!! i am at 19000 miles now....... guess my dealer hates me!!!! plus when does the stock warrenty end(never paid attention)

My warranty is bumper to bumper for 5 years I believe, its been a year I should really check on that too. No worries though about warranty as I'd prolly trade her in or sale her before 5 years is up.

i am abt to put my turbo on so i really dont worry abt warrenties(unless i blow my engine) but i want to get the idle issue taken care of before i throw it on!!!!

Just change your oil at 13k like you are suppose to and than again at 16k.

Look at the manual to see what 15k service is and tell all of us, the lazy once...

yeah the oil change routines don't add up, cause I didin't follow it at all. I changed my oil at +-1500, +-4500, +-7500, +-10500, and going to be at +-13500.

i change mine at abt 2900 miles each time.. i just switched to mobil 1 synthetic and premium fuel because my turbo will be added soon but i still dont see the milage add up???

Oh and yeah, I'm going to be nice to those service guys, and the parts department so that when it comes to getting a turbo in a year or two, I won't be bothered if I bring it in for other services, and warranty issues.

Its been a year since I've takin my car there (I have gone to the parts department asked questions all the time), and theres a guy there thats hook'd up his pro5 I think. This is the dealership in El Cajon.

Anyways, I think when I go to the 15,000 mile service I'll pick up the MS exhaust. Heck I'm gunna ask if they have this so called "mazda speed cai or sri" if so I'll pick that up too and have them do all that s*** at the same time.

Don't ask me about that cai or sri I over heard the parts people talk about it a couple times but It never dawned on me at the time to ask if theres one for the protege5.

i go to my dealership all the time to ask questions... they have seen my car(interior) and love it but i haven't let them see my engine!!!! before i put my turbo on i will make them fix the idle problem and while that is happening i will mention a turbo and warrnety issues.. they are pretty cool abt everything so far but i will see soon!!!

Try to get something in writing about that, but it be cool if they are cool about your soon to be turbo in there.

OK...I follow Schedule 2 (short distance driving and road salt use in my area) so here's the 15k schedule:

replace:
oil and filter

inspect:
engine coolant level
air filter
function of all lights
brake and coolant level
disc brakes
tire inflation, pressure and wear
power steering fluid level
bolts and nuts on body and chassis -- yeah I'm sure they do this!
washer fluid level
a/c refrigerant amount and compressor operation

lubricate:
all locks and hinges

Last edited:
I change my own because the dealership charges me for 5 quarts of oil each time and I get my car back smelling like smoke. I am in for the 15,000 mile checkup at 17,000 because I am getting other warranty work done too.

I gotta call them up today and remind them not to change the oil, I use mobil 1 synthetic and I just changed it.. :(

I got a letter from a different dealer, they called my parents house instead of mine. The dealer is clueless. I'm definately not going to take my car in, I can check everything myself except for the a/c charge. The compressor operation is easy enough. I'm going to be the only person that changes the oil, and I'll do the rest of the work myself also.

wow, that's crazy. It only cost $22 to get the oil changed at the Mazda dealers around here? I have gotten letters and or coupons almost monthly since I bought my cars. I bought the Miata and MPV from King's but bought the PR5 from Castrucci and they both send me letters. They both honor competitors coupons/offers so I can get $22 oil changes from either of them.

I wish my dealer would send coupons, and the such. All I get after a year is this notice that I have not come in for any service. I guess I might have been flagged, cause I got a really good deal out of my car when I bought it, and so they want to stick me with no coupons. Hey they promissed me a free oil change for a year if I filled out a survey after I bought the car. But hey I never got the survey so never got that free oil change for a year, I really wanted to have that too.

Back