p5 hks hi-power axle-back on msp?

supman

:
2003 mazdaspeed
ne one done it yet? it sticks out right? might have to cut it to make flush. Any problems i should know about?

Last edited:
no, it'll be shorter. you'll have to lengthen it. but don't get it. the piping is too small. it's only 55mm piping, which is 2.16". basically the same size as the stock stuff.

supman said:
damn cuz i just got it! argh! is there anyway to make it fit? or work properly?

yes a muffler shop could make it fit, and technically you would be alright if you just used the muffler and had 2.5 in piping welded from the catback, but then that would be like buying a 300 some dollar muffler. thats pretty silly, so try to sell it. next time remember to check to see what applications the exhaust fits, and if all else fails start a thread asking if it fits or pmming someone with the exhaust.

supman said:
just wondering why is it bad for turbo application? i'm a newbie

generally speaking, 2.25in-2.5in piping is good for N/A applications, and 2.5-3in is good for turbos. granted there are a lot of other factors (like the size of the turbo or engine), but basically a turbo needs unrestricted air flow to get the maximum potential, where the NA applications benefit from a slight "backpressure". hope this helps.

piping's too small. for turbo apps, you want to reduce backpressure so that the turbo can spool more freely. getting an axleback won't do much powerwise since you'll still have all that stock piping ahead of it....and since the piping on the axleback is no bigger than the stock piping, you probably won't see any gains at all. just sound. you'll want to run at least 2.5" piping. i went 3". it's overkill but it won't hurt :)

Striker187 said:
piping's too small. for turbo apps, you want to reduce backpressure so that the turbo can spool more freely. getting an axleback won't do much powerwise since you'll still have all that stock piping ahead of it....and since the piping on the axleback is no bigger than the stock piping, you probably won't see any gains at all. just sound. you'll want to run at least 2.5" piping. i went 3". it's overkill but it won't hurt :)

frankly, on my NA application i noticed a difference with the HKS. but if anything at all, you wouldnt notice gains on a turbo...

well i don't want to sell it, I love HKS. And as long as it doesn't harm my car. Cuz I can get the piping welded for cheap. I guess i'm goin to be a rice-boy. All sound and looks and no go.

but thats the problem, i don't want to sell it. The diameter is slightly smaller on the hks pipe, does this mean the flanges won't perfectly match?

i was quoted $225 for a 3" aluminized steel catback (not including the cost of the muffler). i ended up getting ss though. if you're just gonna get an axle back, i guess you could cut the price in half for an estimate.

i only got 300 cdn to spend, not to be annoying but back the my ques. do the flanges fit properly cuz of different pipe sizes?

Back