HELP! new amp popping fuses

Poseur

Contributor
:
03.5 Lsr Blue P5
Alright, Perhaps someone has an idea to help me out here. I don't think I'm overlooking anything. I've already got an RA for the amp, but I REALLY don't want to wait the extra 2 weeks. I've got a new Tsunami db1100 amp (the ones Avionixx is selling closeout) Went to hook it up yesterday, Attached power/ground/remote and when I put my distrib block fuse in, to my HUGE suprise, it arced, and instantly popped the 3 60a fuses. DAMN that's scary, I've honestly never had anything arc like that. I re-checked all of my connections, everything sound (yes it is properly grounded with good contact, scratched off paint, etc) I actually had another amp hooked up to the exact same connections and it worked without a problem. Tried again this time put my distrib block fuse in then tried to plug the amp ones in, and they did the same, (arc/pop) Anyone have any quick fix Don't-have-to-send-it-back-then-wait-more solutions for me bychance? I've been waiting forever to get everything together in the first place. I'm not patient enough for this.

Yea, I know, I was mostly hoping for some sort of magic wand to wave at it and make it better. I'm sure it'll be taken care of, but waiting SUCKS!

Just to clarify, this is wired just for power with the system off (no voltage going to the remote on) No speaker or rca's connected. I'm gonna try a different grounding point, but I'm going through a grounding block that's been grounding the 4440 perfectly well playing and sucking a fair amount of juice Either way I don't think this is the type of behavior an ill-grounded setup would produce, but anything's worth a shot. hopefully I don't run out of fuses.

amp is bad and its seeing a short somewhere...it would do that if the power and ground were mixed up. as much as you dont want to, send it back. i know how you feel...i need to send my radio off, but dont want to be without for a few weeks...

Hey! so I actually got it solved. Took the cover off and inside I found a piece of wire that was obviously out of place kinda just wedged in there bridging between 2 contact points... I don't think it was anything of mine, but that is a possibility I had all sorts of bits of wire flying all over the place. At any rate, I emoved the wire (it was pretty lightly in there) and tested it out again... As I sheepishly placed the fuse in there expecting the familiar spark-*pop*.... nothing.. got the other 2 in, and still nothing. Hooked it up to a crappy old sub (my e12a.22's waiting for it's new box to be finished) And YAY! I've got bass again.

Who knows if by doing this myself I just voided some form of warrantee, but at this point I really don't care. It was a super good deal on the amp anyway, and I now HAVE IT WORKING without the extra couple weeks of UPS and turn-around.

Back