Metal Shavings in oil pan??

azian6er

Asian Law Student
:
Mazda Speed Protege #987
If a car has metal shavings in the oil pan what is most likely the cause of the shavings? Could it be that the rod bearings are shot because of lack of lubrication? If the car has low miles (ie sub 10K and this is happening, what is most likely the culprit? Is it possible that the cylinder walls were gouged and lashed?

If you found a lot of metal shavings in your oil pan what would you think it was?

Symptoms include a clanking on a cold start and a loud tapping sound from 2.5K rpms through 4K rpms.

Any ideas?

its normal wear on the engine. some companies make magnetic drain plugs to clean them out. don't worry about it unless its alot of metal.

Metal shavings can be caused by several factors. Generally rotating parts, and or any other parts that would have movement within the engine bay is suspect.

If a car is broken-in properly, all of the metal shavings should have been eliminated within the first 2 oil changes.

We generally recommend changing the oil at 1000kms, then at 2500kms monitoring the oil by using it on a fine sive to see if there's still any metal. If there isn't, it's time for synthetic!

The clanking is more likely then not piston slap, very common on Subarus. The loud taping maybe the valve train. You should have this checked out @ the dealership. You maybe due for a valve lash adjustment.

no this is a serious problem. This is like a LOUD CLANKING sound comming from the block. I have already taken it to the dealer and they said they wont do warranty work on it and said it would cost 6600 dollars to fix it because i would have to have a new motor. All they said was that there were tons of metal shavings in the oil pan.

My guess is a rod bearing but i could be wrong.

What have you done that is making them refuse a warranty claim?
Get them to tell you what it is that needs to be fixed, in writing, then get a second opinion.

well they said that my warranty was voided for three reasons: (this is comming from mazda headquarters in cali)

1.) Failure to properly maintain the car (ie no record of oil change.)

2.) Misuse of car

3.) Modification to the car

For starters they said they had no record of me getting my oil changed. I find this funny however that i have had it changed by mazda 2 times and have receipts for both times.

Second, based upon extensive looking over the vehicle they came to the conclusion that i "misused" my car, so My guess is that they feel i raced it since i have a catback on and a license plate that staes "msp got u". Also they say the tread is too low on my tires for my mileage.

Thirdly, They said that do to the modificatins to the enigine ( they still havent told me what i did) they are voiding my warranty. They will not tell me what i did to the engine however.

My beef is this: If it is a rod bearing no modificatations that i know of that are available for our cars will not cause rod bearing damage like metal shavings. The only reason that would happen is a lack of oil. I dont know of any mods that will cause the oil to be low do you? Other than boosting like 15 psi or more i dont see how this is possible. Plus many people on the board have not had the same problem as I with oil consumption so i am led to believe it was a manufacturers default. I dont drive me car crazy, I go to school i use it as a daily driver. There is no forseeable reason for any mods to cause this.

The fight is in that mazda wants to void my warranty for mods they dont know i used and I want them to tell me what mods caused the problem. They wont. period. Because they cant.

What would cause no oil to be in the crankcase lubricating the rod bearings?

My whole problem started with oil comsumption, i took it in because i knew something was wrong but they turned me away saying they couldnt work on it. Thus they neglected to tell me NOT to drive my car and this problem arose.

To make a long story short Does it sound like the bearings on my rods are gone?

--B

my friend you need a new block. go to a different dealership, with your receipts for the oil changes , and for gods sake take off the cat back.

well the manual states that 10W-30 is recommended so that is what i think they used. non synthetic. I believe that mazda however uses 5w20. I could be wrong though.

Dude i would hire a lawyer and not put up with that s***. The tires on these cars wear quick how the f*ck do they know if you drive on gravel roads which wear tires quick. They are making up s***. If you have reciepts that means everything should be fine. I think you said under 10k miles and you have had two then that could be following the interval that some dealers recommend(5k miles). You can sue them because they are obligated to provide in writing why they are voiding the warranty or they should work on the car.

I hate this bs mazda sells a car saying we did the tuning now you do the driving, do they expect people with such a "tuned" car to drive like their f*cking grandma? When will they get their heads out of their asses.
sorry this is just pissing me off how crappy mazda has been with warranty work, kinda makes me want to sell my car.

well the best thing to do is to contact Mazda North America and see if they can assist. What mods did you have on your car?

my father IS a Lawyer. We have already been arguing with them since 2 weeks ago when i brought the car in to be serviced. We have contacted mazda corparate and mazda NA and the mazda headquarters in Cali. My father has a friend who works for the attorney general of Ohio who is attempting to get mazda to put into writing why my warranty was voided. Needless to say they have failed to comply with that request. All that they have done is said no warranty. They FINALLY gave some reasons the other day as i state din a previos post.

1.) Failure to "maintain" the vehicle
2.) Misuse of the vehicle
3.) Modification to the car

How much maintaining may i ask is necessary for a car with less than 10K miles on it? Also they said i never changed my oil, i did TWICE BY THOSE FUCKERS. Hell who knows maybe they forgot to put oil in the first time i got it changed, i didnt check:rolleyes:

So basically they are farking around. i am a college student and i dont have time for this Bull s***. Seriously what is MAZDA THINKING??? They market to a younger generation but when a problem arises they blame it on the youth and inexperience of the driver.

Mazda can kiss my hairy beanbag because all they are is a bunch of hypocrites and all they care about is making money. If they wanted bad press, they are definately getting it through this car.

I almost think we, as a msp community should contact a newspaper of some sort and tell them to write an article about how mazda completely ****** up with this car almost as bad as they did with the rx-7. Hestitation, clunk, blown motor, no help from the service depts at their dealerships. regarding warranty work, service managers telling people that the flash will void their warranty etc etc etc.

This is complete horseshit and mazda knows it. I think they know what they are doing is wrong but they are too much a bunch of greedy pussies to do anything about it.

Mazda may make a great car but cmon seriously have some respect for your customers.

BS period.

Latest posts

Back