Mazda speed transmission

Eds mp5

I own a 5 speed 2002 mazda protege 5 with the spool stage 3 turbo.. I was thinking of putting in the Mazdaspeed transmission. What is the difference between the protege 5 transmission and the Mazdaspeed transmission? I know that the Mazdaspeed protege transmission comes with an LSD and a stronger clutch plate. Are the gear ratios any different? stronger? are there any other differences?

Thanks

Ed

Everything else is pretty much the exact same. The clutch release fork is different.

Read the FAQ to find out everything else. It is basically the same.

Hey Ed,
Do like Lax, buy the LSD, I'd also buy the stronger shift fork from the MSP and have that installed when you're getting the LSD installed.

Logan said:
Hey Ed,
Do like Lax, buy the LSD, I'd also buy the stronger shift fork from the MSP and have that installed when you're getting the LSD installed.

It is a clutch release fork, not a shifter fork!

I was thinking about going the same route as Lax, but for a similar price i can get the whole sha-bang, so i figured i just put it in. I hoped there would be some differences in the gear ratios or stronger components or something!! I think my syncros on my tranny are already fubar'd anyway so ill just put in a brand new one.

Ed

Logan said:
You can think that if you want to.

Proof on your end would be what? Because your mom works for Mazda and she said so. (<- not a direct attack on you, a joke from a previous person)

Show part numbers if you are correct.

3rd-4th gear syncro ring (GC01-17-26Y) and the 1st-2nd gear shift fork (GC01-17-40XA) are the newer parts from early 2002 models to 2003 proteges.

Ahh, I see it. I would be kinda scared to buy a used transmission from a turbocharged vehicle.....you?

Back