Cant turn key in ignition

Todd

Hi everyone, stupid question I think. I just got my P5 Monday so Im still getting use to it. This morning I parked the car and I decided I didnt like the parking spot so I was going to move it however when I tried to turn the key in the ignition it did not turn. Im at work and was running late so I had to go. Peolple at work said that all I have to do is turn the steering wheel and then try. I will try this in an hour when I get my break but is this true, or do I have a problem?

Todd

I've had this happen a few times. I've actually found that turning the wheel hasn't worked all the time. Sometimes what I had to do was to turn the key as far back towards myself as I could make it go(with out forcing it) and then taking the key out of the ignition. When I would put it back in it would work normally. This reminds me that I have to ask my garage technician what the heck is on the go with this. It's quiet possible this is just an isolated thing having to do with me. ;)

The critical caveat on this procedure is this:

When I had my Subaru Legacy, I found that if the steering wheel locked when the steering was all the way to the left or right, releasing the key lock mechanism was a bi*ch. Otherwise, it worked every time.

Back