Wiring harness for P5 headlight swap

I want to do the P5 swap out on my MP3, I just talked to the Mazda Parts department and they told me $1500 for the harness! Great Googly Moogly!

Aparently, Mazda does not bother with splicing or anything of that nature in their harnesses.

Has anyone done the swap and found a better (read: cheaper) way to accomplish the swap?

[ 02-05-2002: Message edited by: LinkNParkMP3 ]

[ 02-06-2002: Message edited by: LinkNParkMP3 ]

Hey guys,

Here are the differences between the MP3 and P5 Headlights:

1) MP3 has the parking lamp in outside corner and P5 does not (parking lamp is in each side of the bumper on P5).

2) P5 has separate high beam and low beam bulbs and the MP3 uses one bulb for both.

3) The turn signal bulb socket of the MP3 headlights will not properly fit the P5 headlights (must get the P5 ones).

You can wire up the high/low beam of the P5 headlights using the MP3 harness, but you will have to buy the high beam bulbs and sockets and splice the wires. You must also figure out a way to keep your parking lamps (P5 bumper or custom mounting) in order to remain legal. We are currently doing this on our MP3-T project car.

Hope this helps.

-Shawn

Ardmp5 and I did this and it took some electrical wizardry from him to get the swap done . and I don't remember the order we did anything either! if you don't want to hassle with it you can wait till you find a P5 wrecked in a junkyard and get it out of there!

I was just gonna say that Sean "Wheelguru" and Rishie "ARD" had already done the swap. I'm still partial to my stock head lamps, but if I found some P5 head lamps for free somewhere, I'd swap the fuggers. I wish someone made projectors for our cars.

Originally posted by Mazdaformance:
<STRONG>Hey guys,

You must also figure out a way to keep your parking lamps (P5 bumper or custom mounting) in order to remain legal. We are currently doing this on our MP3-T project car.
</STRONG>

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Law requires you to have an amber turn signal, viewable from the side of that car, in front of the front wheels. Thus why the P5 has amber side signals on the front bumper :D

changing from dual bulb to single buld

2002 protege 5 hit a deer $4,000 dollars damage, $520 to replace headlights. bought lights on e bay $180 blacked out look great, problem single bulb system original dual bulb. how do you wire it. thanks randy love the car bought it 4 months ago.

blitzd and i did this swap (my p5 and his msp)...it wasn't hard..."thewrench" had wiring diagrams to do this...he hasn't had a problem with cops since the swap...we did it 2 years ago.

It is probably easier these days to find stuff at a used parts place or junk yard than the dealership. These cars have been crashed enough.

Back