Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MAF vs. MAP

Registered Member

MAF vs. MAP

a mass air flow (MAF) sensor and manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor are two different ways of feeding fuel to an engine. some cars use a MAF and some cars use a MAP, but i get the impression a MAP system is preferred for turbo use. can anyone explain why?

here's some comments from the SDS standalone computer site:

http://www.sdsefi.com/tech.html#FAQ

Q. What is a MAP sensor and why are there 3 different ones?

A. A MAP sensor senses the pressure in the intake manifold. When combined with rpm information, it allows the ECU to compute airflow and supply the correct pulse width to the injectors.

We sell 3 different MAP sensors to cover engine applications with different boost levels.

The 1 Bar sensor is for naturally aspirated engines.
    The 2 Bar sensor is for engines running up to 15 psi boost.
    The 3 Bar sensor is for engines running up to 30 psi boost.

Map sensors are referenced to an absolute vacuum internally so they compensate for altitude and barometric changes automatically. MAP sensors simply connect to your intake manifold with a length of vacuum hose.

Q. Can SDS use an airflow meter?

A. No. Since SDS is fully programmable and designed to work on almost any engine, we decided to use the speed/density method of load sensing. Installation of airflow meters on many vehicles, especially turbocharged ones, is often awkward because of their size. Airflow meters also represent a flow restriction which is not conducive to making hp on performance applications.

any supporting/contrary comments? thx.

02 MP5 #3256

good thoughts and post, i use a 2 bar map but after 15 i guess i need a 3 bar?

juan is this true?
    FOR SALE: HIBOOST KIT WITH TONS OF EXTRAS!!! ** SOLD**

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67244

Donated: $15
    Super Moderator

2001 Mazda MP3

I think I may have a 2.5 Bar sensor soon. I think that should hold me over...
    Performance Mods:[Steedspeed v2. Turbo Manifold] [Precision PTE CEA 5130 Turbo] [Pope 3-inch Downpipe] [Molnar Forged Rods] [Wiseco Forged Pistons (9.1:1)] [NSN Motorsports Thermal Intake Manifold Spacer] [Haltech E6X Stand Alone] [Haltech Boost Controller] [2007 WRX 565cc Dark Blue Injectors] [AEM UEGO 30-4100 Wideband O2 Sensor] [Vibrant 3-inch TurboBack Exhaust with Custom 3-inch mid Pipe] [ ACT Z66-XTSS Clutch] [Fidanza Flywheel] [Synapse Synchronic BOV] [AWR Motor Mounts] [PWR High Performance Radiator PWR1306] [Mazdaspeed Oil Cooler ] [Tein SS Coilover Suspension ] Other Mods: [Intel Atom-based Touchscreen Car PC] [Defi D-Series Boost Gauge] [Nordskog Digital Fuel and Oil Pressure Gauges] [Dave B. Brushed Aluminum Gauge Rings]
    The things we own will eventually end up owning us one way or another....

264 chipmunks at 12 psi Little Beavis's Avatar

2001 MP3-T (#911)

Yes, but isn't a MAF more accurate?

(Don't get me wrong, they have their issues and most days I wish I didn't have one, but if the MAF worked for the full range of air flow. . .I don't see the problem.) On that note, is the Mazdaspeed MAF different? Why does ours max out if the MSP doesn't? Or does ours not max out. . .damn, I apparently have confused myself. . .I know not what I say. . .
    Magnaflow and Type S

Mods: All the forged goodies, P&P head with comp valve job, P&P MSP exhaust manifold, T25 w/ 28RS wheel, CS PS downpipe/J-pipe/exhaust, KM FMIC w/ Greddy Type S, Quaife LSD, ACT organic clutch and PP, Mazdaspeed flywheel, CS SS clutch line, P&P intake - 2 injectors/runner, outlaw engineering intake spacers, EBC Sport rotors and red pads, NSN motor mounts, Mazdaspeed #3 mount (and NSN modification), Mazdaspeed Oil Cooler, Microtech LT-10s, J&S Safeguard with custom knock display, Greddy Profec B Spec II, 4 Greddy 52 mm electric gauges (boost, egt, fuel pressure, and oil pressure), custom SS mp3 console gauge pod, custom SS MP3 turbo heat shield, Injen CAI, Alpine 9815, MB Quartz in all corners, RF Power amps, cruise control, power moonroof and 20% tint all around.

Donated: 20$

Turbo MP3 #222, 00 Silverado Z71

MPI has a larger MAF
    (bluemp3)
    Performance Mods:Custom MSP turbo kit w/ ported manifold and downpipe, MPI piggyback,Tochigi Fugi LSD,Fidanza flywheel,ACT street clutch, SS clutch line, SS brake lines,awr motor mounts,JoeP MBC,2 1/2"exhaust with wagner mid pipe, MagnaFlow resonator, JIC canister, Random Technology cat,Greddy type S BOV,Rotora front rotors (slotted)brembo rear rotors,Hawk HPS pads,Spool springs,Kartboy Shifter/Bushing/Knob/exhaust hangers,1st grounding kit (blue)Sparkco wires(blue), mini oil catch can

Electronics/Appearance Mods: UEGO widebando2 ,Greddy warning boost gauge, EGT, and oil pressure gauges, MSD knock senor w/ display, Blitz TT, Clear side marker,DaveB rings,DGM auto exe replica grill, Alpine 5 channel amp, blue coolant catch can

Waiting to install: J&S safeguard, exhaust cutout

Donated: $20
    Authorized Vendor
    Administrator

MP3

Originally posted by LinuxRacr
    I think I may have a 2.5 Bar sensor soon. I think that should hold me over...
    What kind/where from?
    Vivid Yellow MP3 - SpeedCircuit Turbo Kit @ 14-19 psi - SpeedCircuit forged motor - SpeedCircuit built trans with PAR gears & M-FactoryLSD - and FAR too many mods to list. 13.3 @ 108 - 18psi on the T3 in 2005

Need Parts, Service, or Horsepower? Check out S p e e d C i r c u i t . n e t or Email me!
    Need pistons and rods? I stock them!
    Introducing - The Best Built Motor money can buy! & SpeedCircuit Performance Heads!
    Be sure to check out SpeedCircuit on facebook!

SpeedCircuit Turbo Kit Preorder!

Donated: $15
    Super Moderator

2001 Mazda MP3

Originally posted by Kooldino
    What kind/where from?
    Not sure I will have it yet....I must wait and see. The system I am getting will also be able to use the stock sensors.
    Last edited by LinuxRacr; 10-02-2003 at 11:36 AM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Are you threatening me? stef_nz's Avatar

sure a maf is more accurate but aftermarket computers are usually designed to use map (for the reasons below) and they are much better at it now than they once were.

try finding a maf that a) is big enough to cause no flow restriction, and b) doesn't mind if you have a bov venting to atmosphere....

if you vent to atmos with a maf, heaven help you - measuring flow at the maf which doesn't get to the engine, what happens then? very annoying i'd imagine....

oh, and afaik, map sensor specs are for vacuum as well as boost, so two bar = 1 bar each side of 0, three bar is for up to two bar boost etc.....

Registered Member

thx for the feedback.

Originally posted by stef_nz

try finding a maf that ... doesn't mind if you have a bov venting to atmosphere....

if you vent to atmos with a maf, heaven help you - measuring flow at the maf which doesn't get to the engine, what happens then? very annoying i'd imagine....
    it's a little bit greek to me, but here's a post that suggests using a SAFC to make it work:

http://www.hyundaiperformance.com/fo...ic.php?t=35963

Registered Member

MAF is the only way to go for any street car and should be used race cars. The MAF will read how much air is going into the motor. The MAP has been seen as the end all for years due to the fact that OEM meters were small. For over the last 15 years the 5.0 Ford market has lived with MAF meters and it opend the door to making big power without all of the problems that came with aftermarket computers. With 100,000s of Fords on the street with MAF meters the aftermarket was forced to that a look and do something about it. You then saw a few companies start making larger MAF meters. Some were junk and they are no longer around. With the G-M running MAP sensors they were forced to use aftermarket computers for big power. With the Ford you could still keep the stock EEC-IV or the EEC-V.

We built and ran a Ford Ranger ProRWD truck for the last two years. It had a 2.3 Turbo that would have made over 1000hp if it could be tuned right. One of the main sponsors is Electromotive. They did all of the tuning for us on and off of the track. The TEC-III will not work with a MAF so we stuck and had to take a trip back in time and use a MAP sensor. They would tune it this week and next week the air got colder and the tune was off. After a retune we would go back to the track in a few weeks and this time the air was hotter, now it needs to be retuned again.

This is a very common problem with the MAP system and aftermarket computers. The MAF meter will read the airflow into the engine. If it is a hot day the air is different they on a cold day. The same is true on a dry day or a rain day. All of the factors will be seen by the MAF but not the MAP. Once you dial in a MAF system you can leave it alone. With the MAP you will need to retune as the weather changes.

Registered Member

What is the hangup with BOVs. You can get by-pass valves for upto 40lbs of boost and 500hp. Also a by-pass will help spool the turbo faster when you shift. How much are you looking to run?

We stock two Mazda meters that will work from 300 to over 425hp. How much are you looking to make?

We sell an aftermarket computer that does use a MAF sensor, it will run upto 12 injectors, 4 coils or your stock Mazda coils, boost control and turbo launch control. It also has Windows based software and it is easy to tune.

Thanks again

Later......Nick

Donated: $20
    Authorized Vendor
    Administrator

MP3

Originally posted by stef_nz
    sure a maf is more accurate but aftermarket computers are usually designed to use map (for the reasons below) and they are much better at it now than they once were.

try finding a maf that a) is big enough to cause no flow restriction, and b) doesn't mind if you have a bov venting to atmosphere....

oh, and afaik, map sensor specs are for vacuum as well as boost, so two bar = 1 bar each side of 0, three bar is for up to two bar boost etc.....
    Yup, 'tis all true, AFAIK. Long time no see, stef. WB.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

03.5 Titanium MSP

Ok since MAF sensor don't like BOV because they vent air into the astmosphere why don't they move them post BOV and elimiate that problem... I know it sounds too simple but I'm not understanding the difference between MAP and MAF
    Mods on car: Gemini Composites v-weave CF RC hood, DG CF grill, Forgemotorsports (prototype) BOV, Forgemotorsports/samco upper i/c pipe (prototype), NGK iridium sparkplugs, Nology wires, Perrin SRI, Blitz FATT (sold), 17" 5 Zigen FNOR-C, Defi D Boost guage, Defi AF guage, MS mazdaspeed decals, Greddy profec b II EBC (sold), Ultra bright lights HID's, perrin fuel rail, R-R racing poly mount inserts, Corksport downpipe.
    RIP (msptitani

Other cars: '90 240 sx hatch auto, '93 240 sx hatch 5spd. Both pretty stock right now.

2003.5 MSP TG

Originally posted by MPNick
    MAF is the only way to go for any street car and should be used race cars. The MAF will read how much air is going into the motor. The MAP has been seen as the end all for years due to the fact that OEM meters were small. For over the last 15 years the 5.0 Ford market has lived with MAF meters and it opend the door to making big power without all of the problems that came with aftermarket computers. With 100,000s of Fords on the street with MAF meters the aftermarket was forced to that a look and do something about it. You then saw a few companies start making larger MAF meters. Some were junk and they are no longer around. With the G-M running MAP sensors they were forced to use aftermarket computers for big power. With the Ford you could still keep the stock EEC-IV or the EEC-V.

We built and ran a Ford Ranger ProRWD truck for the last two years. It had a 2.3 Turbo that would have made over 1000hp if it could be tuned right. One of the main sponsors is Electromotive. They did all of the tuning for us on and off of the track. The TEC-III will not work with a MAF so we stuck and had to take a trip back in time and use a MAP sensor. They would tune it this week and next week the air got colder and the tune was off. After a retune we would go back to the track in a few weeks and this time the air was hotter, now it needs to be retuned again.

This is a very common problem with the MAP system and aftermarket computers. The MAF meter will read the airflow into the engine. If it is a hot day the air is different they on a cold day. The same is true on a dry day or a rain day. All of the factors will be seen by the MAF but not the MAP. Once you dial in a MAF system you can leave it alone. With the MAP you will need to retune as the weather changes.
    The problem would be corrected if you tune the car to standard day, and run all your pressure and speed corrected to standard day.

Registered Member

I am a little lost as to what you trying to say. Do you mean that if you tune on a prefect day the car will always be in tune?

Thanks again

Later.........Nick

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast