Is it necessary to reset the ECU after installing a CAI?

:
MSP & MS3
Just installed it... (I'll comment on that experience later) just wondering if it's necessary/beneficial to reset the ecu afterwards. Haven't driven it (or even started it up yet... little nervous but that's besides the point) any feedback would be really helpful. I wanna take her out for a spin asap!! thanks!

Damn... been gone about 5 minutes and was hoping I'd get some responses!! Not trying to be a pain in the ass but... COME ON PEOPLE!! 8 ^ ) Someone's gotta know something!!

I would highly recommend it. It will allow your MAF to properly account for the change along with the ECU. I don't see it as a MUST because it will eventually learn it's way out of the problem but I'm not 100% sure on that fact. Very glad to see you decided to open the hood and do it yourself(thumb)

Alright well... wifey's getting impatient so I'm the hell outta here! Hopefully not reseting the ecu won't **** up my car! Oh well.. if it does, I'll just put the stock airbox back on and bring it to the dealership! L8R peeps

It's only necessary if you get a CEL.
Start the car up. If the light goes on, you'll have to reset the ECU. :)

Hell yeah man... it was sort've a pain in the ass but well worth it! Pretty god damn proud of myself... I must say!! But now I'm at the point where I've come this far... I better not mess anything up! It doesn't mention anything about disconnecting the battery or reseting the ecu on the how-to we have posted on this forum so... hmm... oh well! here goes nothing!

so many people so hesitant to reset the ecu... why is that? Its going to HELP not hurt it so dont be so reluctant.

uclap5 said:
so many people so hesitant to reset the ecu... why is that? Its going to HELP not hurt it so dont be so reluctant.

I'm guessing people with the Kenwood HU don't want to go through the PITA of putting all the settings back in. Seems a bit lazy considering not resetting the ECU could result in a CEL or other problems.

heathen is right, i never reset my pcm, it will learn. didnt when i installed the injen, didnt when i installed the exhaust, didnt when i installed the cams, didnt when i installed the header, dont plan to unless its necessary.

Chico give me a call and we can meet up tomorrow or something. I tried calling you but your cell was turned off I guess. Glad the intsall went well.

Chris

Yeah man.. .definitely. I got your message but the wife is draggin me out with her parents for dinner. (ugh!) I'll give you a buzz tomorrow... L8R playa

good job. i always reset after a mod. dont know why, just always do to allow it to relearn everything.

Back