Choosing turbo kits???

curt2go

:
2003 P5
Well where do you start ,the prices range so much. You can get ones with the garret turbo or the mitsubishi turbo. cast mainfold or tubing mainfold. Internal wastegate, external wastegate. Intercooler , no intercooler... What I do know is that to start I will limit myself to about 6-7 psi. I think that I will get one without an intercooler to start and add one at a later date if needed. Also about the piping do most come with solid piping or is some with flex or plastic? I will probably be able to get hard piping made if I need to for free out of aluminum or stainless. So please give me a hand in choosing a nice little turbo for my car.

Looked at : Hiboost,spool,PSI .

PS i am looking for a good turbo at a good price and will be installing it myself and like I said before I might be able to get hard pipe made for it.....

Thanx guys... TTY

Yeah.
Searches aren't the best for the question you have.

Just browse that section and see what other people are saying about all the different kits. That should give you the best idea on which kit offers what and which one you would want.

Good luck!

Everyone knows which kit I liked the best. After getting my HiBoost kit, I have learned so much is scary. I have no doubt that there are very good kits out there, but right now, the most complete, most reliable, and the most experience FS tuner is the one from HiBoost. This kit is totally insane, complete to the last bolt and nut, and offers even more performance than any other kit available, with options for even greater performance later. I guarantee you there is no FMU kit that can match it. Simply there is no way an FMU kit can outperform a computer controlled system. This kit will fit the P5 with only two minor cuts to the sheet metal for the intercooler piping, no pipes hanging under the car, no weird fuel lines running throughout your engine bay, and looks to match the output. Also ball bearing turbo. The manifold is cast-tubular. The best of both worlds, no cracks like tubular manifolds, but have individual runners like a tubular design, with the reliability of a casted one. At $3595 shipped is a great deal. I think YP5toronto just received his and should be ready to install shortly.

Look at my HiBoost install page for details on the process. Sorry for how long this reply might have been, but like some people already know, I love this kit, it has transformed my P5 from something I wanted to sell, to a car I want to drive every day!

Vic

I concur with Pirana completely. I didn't want to mickey mouse with stages. Just do it once and the right way.

Rishie

Piranatx21,

I want to say "thank you" for such a detailed post. It answered all the questions I needed to make a decision to do the kit. How long did it take you? The install is "much" easier than those I have done on my Integra as well as my Civic. Again, you have an automatic? I have a sportshift automatic! Any issues/lights come on?

Please advise.

- Brian

He has had no issues. I can vouch for the performance of his (Pirana's) kit. That thing has no problem pulling on top-end where my car starts to run out of gas (or gets too much dumped in I should say) due to the FMU setup on my kit. At 8 PSI, I got blown away. I am limited to 8 PSI, because the FMU is not a reliable means of fuel delivery after that, and is questionable now. Electronic fuel control is the way to go. Flyin' Protege should have something out in the future, but when is the question? Hopefully I should have a solution sooner that will enable me to "hang." <---very funny, cause when I am finally able to use my forged internals, I'll do more than hang. (evil)

Last edited:
isn't it true though, if you don't want a moster kit and just wanna run around 4-6 psi (understanding the limits of running at this psi), the spool stage one is an economical option? it's about half the price as the hiboost kit? thanks guys!

Thanx for all the info. I am from Canada and to buy that kit and have it sent up here will be around $6000 which is a little out of my price range... Maybe I shoul djust save up and get it though. I will continue to look around and let you know what I find.. Thanx... TTY

I'm gonna talk up the Flyin' Protege kit...For six to seven psi it's a great kit that'll work day in day out with no issues. It's all hard piping and is practically indestructable.

It's a nice kit, the customer service is top notch and they know what they are doing.

Just my $3,000 talkin'...

Like ARDMP5 said, I didnt want to upgrade later, or buy here and there. And I remember a wise man said to me "oh Daniel-Sam, 6 psi is not enough, you will want 8, 10 or even 12 later on...Thanks Master Linux" :D

The good thing abou the Hiboost is that it comes with an ECU and very good intercooler. Do you guys think an intercooler is nesseray at 6psi?? Hopefully they will move this thread to forced... TTY

Like I said before, heed our advise, 6 psi is not enough. The MSP is 6 psi and people want more. You will want more. I thought I would stay at 8psi, but its been hard to not crank the boost. Fortunately the HiBoost kit is pre-mapped all the way to 14psi !! (you will need new injectors)

Pirana said:
Like I said before, heed our advise, 6 psi is not enough. The MSP is 6 psi and people want more. You will want more. I thought I would stay at 8psi, but its been hard to not crank the boost. Fortunately the HiBoost kit is pre-mapped all the way to 14psi !! (you will need new injectors)
There is a HUGE difference between 6 PSI ona T25 and 6 PSi on a T3. Atleast 20 whp more.

I would agree that even that is not enough for me.

Yes I would probably want more. I am just waying my options right now. Once I have decided I have to come up with the cash??? TTY

1st MP3 in NH said:
There is a HUGE difference between 6 PSI ona T25 and 6 PSi on a T3. Atleast 20 whp more.

I would agree that even that is not enough for me.

This mya be totally newbie of me but what is the diff?? Thanx TTY

Back