Rare Minor IC Hose Leak.... any idea?

Pkay

Rare Minor Radiator Hose Leak.... any idea?

Not actually a leak but an occassional "spray" of bits. I've had it happen twice since i've had my car. Not a leak as none ever hits the ground. Cleans right off and doesnt come back.

First time it happened was right after I installed my CAI. Maybe a day after I noticed a small amount of that green stuff on there. Wiped it off.... didnt see it again for a while.

Second time it happened was after I ran my dyno. Once again no full out leak just a bit of a spray of sorts a cross a couple of pieces.

if you look at the main pic you can see where the hose comes from.... it leaks at the far right part of it on the bottom side.

EnglineLeak1.jpg

on this pic you can see a bit larger view of the first one. As you can see from, the hose the coolant (i'm assuming that's what it is) came from is relatively clean. It's only a VERY small section on the bottom side that has the green on it.

Pic2.jpg

and on this last pic you can see the last part it sprayed on
spray.jpg

doesn't seem like a HUGE issue to me but I could be wrong. It seems like it's happens when that tube gets under high pressure and then the weak part sprays a little bit. I have no idea what that tube does but any insight would be appreciated. Anyone else had this problem?

Last edited:
IC = intercooler, but judging from the picture, it looks like your radiator hose. did u mean the radiator hose? i think its just over filled dude. or your motor got so hot, just bubbled over or something, but definetly not your intercooler hose. better change it b4 u get flamed hehe :) - chris

L8R said:
IC = intercooler, but judging from the picture, it looks like your radiator hose. did u mean the radiator hose? i think its just over filled dude. or your motor got so hot, just bubbled over or something, but definetly not your intercooler hose. better change it b4 u get flamed hehe :) - chris

lol done

its late as a motherfucker and i've been up since 4am with no coffee

I think there is a TSB on it, my dealer told me it was leaking when they did the flash. They had to order a new hose. My wife says "I told you I smelled antifreeze!"

Britt

Okay so first off. Yes a coolant leak is serious because pressure is being lost in the the cooling system. AND your turbo is oil and Water cooled. It could get bad quickly. You see in your picture, the hose clamps on the rad hose? Replace them with worm gear clamps. Also replace the clamps on the cooling lines going to the turbo.

Just my $.02.

Mazda techincally calls that the 'Coolant Bypass Hose'. Take it in. I had mine done too.

I was in today for the flash, they wanted to replace my coolant bypass hose, but I didn't have time. I am VERY SLOWLY losing coolant, and am in no hurry, so will wait for my 24K service.

The clamp is the main fault. Dealerships are replacing your hose with OEM, while the clamp is totally different. I asked them if I should change my clamp since other MSP owners are having leaks with the OEM clamp...the service rep just told me my car was in good shape and shouldn't require replacing......hope he's right. But it's the clamp.

So if I want to resolve these both, where can i get the clamp and what size is it?

If I'm going to replace the hose should i replace it with the stock mazda one or a different one? I'd prefer not to take it into the dealership as I don't feel like putting all my stuff back to stock so I'd rather pay some $$$ to buy it and install it myself.

Wow, they give you s*** about the mods? My dealer said as long as I'm not running any NO2, he really doesnt care. They've never logged any mods in the computer or on my invoices.

Flat Black said:
Wow, they give you s*** about the mods? My dealer said as long as I'm not running any NO2, he really doesnt care. They've never logged any mods in the computer or on my invoices.

well, my dealership is one of if not THE largest Mazda dealership in the midwest..... some of them are Nazi's.... but some are awesome. I just don't take the chance that I catch the asshole one.

The upgrades you listed shouldn't be a problem with Mazda...just as long you don't have that MBC installed I think you'll be set. Get the OEM hose, but get a diff. clamp (worm gear clamps) as MSPDave said. Good luck.

A local MSPer had theirs fixed the day before I got my reflash. So far she hasn't had a problem with OEM hose and aftermarket clamp for over 2-3 days. So, good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Placed Worm clamp on today and pushed hose up a bit more to complete connection

No leakage at all.... not even minor yet

seems to run a wee-bit better too it seems :)

thanks for the help guys

Db1707 said:
Sorry for the newb question, but what does a worm clamp look like? I'm going to change mine as well.

See the clamp that holds your upper intercooler pipe to the intercooler?

That is one example of a "Worm Gear Clamp".

You will require a clamp with an approx. max. opening of 1 1/8".

Undo the clamp. The screw will let go and you will be able to wrap the clamp around the hose.

Later......

Back