sri rubbing on master cylinder

slcp5

ok. I know there is loads of info about this here and there.
my ebay intake tube is hitting my master cylinder,
Can I just use the stock intake tube for that part then just use the chrome one from the MAS to the filter?
this would accomplish 2 things if it will fit 1. stop hitting master cylinder and 2. provide a mounting spot for the pvc valve.
Has anyone tried trimming the blue rubber deal on the end of the tube that connects to the engine thereby moving it farther away from the master cylinder? I have massaged it and tried moving it every which way but just can't get it far enough away from the master cylinder, so it won't knock. with alot of peopole having this exact problem I thought it deserved its own dedicated thread.

cutting the hose that connects to the engine wont work. All you will be doing is cutting of the "lip" of the hose. If you look at the hose, it opens big on one side, i believe 3 inches, then in the middle its shorter, and then continues short. THat idea would only work if you were to cut the pipe or something. Its not the outside edge of the hose that stops it from going further. Its the middle part where the hose condenses on the inside.

hope that made sense.

And, you can use a braket to hold the SRI closer to the engine and away from the MBS. Another thing, you idea would proly work to use the stock intake up until the MAF and then use the ebay piping after that. Buuut that would seem to negate the efffects of the intake because its going from the 3 inch aftermarket size to the smaller size of stock, which will restrict air flow. If you wanna do that you might as well just keep the stock hosing all the way and slap on a K&N cone filter and make it like those stock SRIs.

cutting

I read somwhere on here that a dude did make the rubber bushing shorter, and that left more room for the master cylinder, which hits the outside corner of the pipe. As you slide the rubber bushing onto the engine it can only go so far,

Hmmm.... I didn't have to cut or modify anything when I put mine in. Just had to make sure it was sitting good.

I cut i/2 inch off the pipe that goes into the throttle body. I used a hacksaw. Cutting the rubber bushing does not help.

im tellin u guys, cutting it wont help. and you CAN mount the intake so it doesnt rub. Just use the little bracket it comes with and bend it and kinda mess with the angles so the intake kinda supports itself where the filter is. Kinda hard to explain.

yeah when you bend the bracket so it sits away from the master cylinder there is clearance. but when you hit the gas the engine tilts and the pipe will hit the mc. I'm sure trimming the pipe witha hack saw would work as above, but since I don't have one, I used the stock rubber pipe for that part, and If you think that negates the whole sri, your wrong, on stock the engine has to pull air through this huge elaborate set of tubes, so you still eliminate all that crap and the kn filter will flow allot more freely than one in the airbox.

Cutting worked for me, or as SLCP5 said use the stock pipe.

I trimmed a 1/2" off the end that goes into the TB.

Well I went and changed the pipe that was causing the problem back to the stock pipe and used the ebay chrome one from the mas to the filter, which enabled me to secure this thing like a rock. pics to come soon, works great.

Sure it works, but it doesn't look as good (which may not be important to you) and it will not be as free flowing as the mandrel bent tube it came with. From my understanding the air intake replacement solves two problems:

1. More freely flowing filter
2. Less restrictive tubing

Putting the stock tube back on from MAF to TB is nowehere near as bad as the maze of piping when it was stock, but it also isn;t as good as if you'd put the mandrel bent piping there.

Anyway, I just installed a AEM SRI and initially it too touched the master cylinder. By jockeying it around a little, I was able to pull it away from the master cylinder enough to stay clear even when revving. Just.

The rubber hose affords a little play that should allow you to steer it away enough, although the eBay intak emay have a different curve than the AEM I have. I noticed that the Injen appears to have rubber for the entire curve from the TB, this must be the reason why.

Back