Adding AUX input

as129

Simple question which would help all those who didn't buy the MP3--like me with the stock MP5 in-dash CD:

Let's say you have an iPod or other MP3 player--how would you add a 1/8" stereo AUX input to the head unit so you could play it through the car stereo? I know there have to be additional inputs on the back, but I don't want to start tearing up the dashboard without a clue.

That jack could go into the blank faceplate covering the cassette player hole.

Ideally, I would take that faceplate out and make a pocket to hold the MP3 player (actually it's a PJB-100), but that's down the road.

Please don't suggest one of those FM transmitter things--I've tried them and they suck, expecially since the antenna is on top of the rear roof...

Actually an FM Modulator is what you would want. Go to eBay and do a search for FM MODULATOR. I'm using one to play the audio through the MP3's stock Kenwood. It's really your only option.

I'll jump in on this...I use MiniDiscs at work (at the radio station) all the time. While I burn CD-Rs with 100 or so MP3 files, I would love to be able to listen (or even better record) to MD. The Kenwood must have a way to add a mini-phono input somehow, right? Anybody?

MP3 #456/1500:cool:

adding aux input

I have a sony Plug and Play XM receiver. I would really like to add aux input as the FM modulator is no good. I do no have the cassette deck in my standard expandable radio chassis so I am sure you could create an aux input using the existing interface connector for the add on cassette deck. The question is, where is the connector or the plug on the existing radio/cd changer chassis and what is the plug configuration? Once we know that we can fabricate a way to get the unaplified signal from the source - bet in XM PnP, MPS player or whatever into the amp. Anyone have the answer??

Using the CD input connector on your head unit - I did it

In 1997 I bought a new Mazda Protege, and it came with a standard AM/FM Radio/Cassette deck, and it has controls for a external CD jukebox. At the time, the price for these players was more than I wanted to spend. I already had a portable 'discman' player, and I wanted to find a way to connect the discman to my car stereo. Sure I'm aware of the cassette adapters and the FM modulators, but I wanted to make a direct connection to the 'head unit'. I removed the head unit and took a peek at the connector, only to find that it is totally un-labeled and has 16 contacts! I purchased the Mazda service manual for the car, and looked up the wiring for this connector. The manual shows only the speaker and power connectors, but gives no indication of the wiring for this mysterious connector. I searched everywhere, but I could find no helpful information. One car stereo installer I spoke with suggested that the connections to external CD players is purposely made in such a way as to prevent you from using another manufacturer's CD changer (or discman)- forcing you to buy one of their overpriced units instead of the competitors. I finally decided to open up the unit, and was able to figure out the wiring of the mystery connector, and play my discman or portable MP3 player through the factory head unit. All you need is some wire, a button, and connectors. I've posted the complete information on my web site:

http://www.geocities.com/blhobbs.rm/Mazda_stereo.html

-Brian

aux input

well guys, the original question on this thread was how do I get my external device such as Sony XM Plug n Play Radio or a MP3 jukebox plugged into my existing p5 stereo system if I DO NOT - repeat - DO NOT want to use an FM modulator.

I can tell you, I am using an FM modulator I recently purchased at Best Buy and it is terrible. Frequency stability is poor as is frequency response. Much distortion, etc.

I was using a cassette adaptor in another car and it was far superior to the FM modulator.

What we want to do is install an aux jack to we can interface directly to radio unit and avoid the performance issues associated with RF remodulating/demodulating the signal.

I am using the instructions provided by Brian at his website he noted in a previous message on this thread and I think I will be able to get the job done. If so I'll report how I configured it so others with the P5 can do the same of they like.

best to all

I'm not 100% but that connector on that cable doesn't look like the one for the z919. The one I need for the z919 looks more like a parralell printer cable connector than a round DIN connector. I've tried getting some response from Kenwood, but to o avail. :(

Aux in continued

The story so far:
I upgraded the speakers while researching this. Totally worth doing.

So now I have the following options:
--FM modulator connected to the antenna cable (not a wireless transmitter). There is a really nice unit from Mobile Authority called AV-FM (auto-on when it gets an audio signal, adjustable attenuation for level matching) that I found at sounddomain.com:mad:, but they never shipped it and never answered the phone and finally cancelled my order. I'm going to try another source. A local installer has an Audiovox one that's not so nice, but he swears he has happy customers playing CD changers through it.

--HU upgrade. I'm not eager to do this, but gaining the pocket in the dash would be handy for holding my mp3 player. Jensen puts an Aux input on the front panel of their inexpensive stuff, Aiwa has that feature in the mid-price stuff, otherwise it's $300 and up.

--blhobbs' plan. This is definitely appealing. Even if the FM modulator works, I think this is the way to go in future. The stock HU has a changer socket, so I just need a connector and knowledge of the pinout. (I can't figure out WHY Mazda put the changer socket in a modular stereo that accepts a changer in the dash, but I'm glad it's there. Even if I can't get signal in there, it's an easy place to get power and ground for the modulator.)

I'll let you all know what happens.

Back