JDM City/courtesy/parking light info

kidkorrupt

Contributor
I've been doing research on these to add them in when i'm blacking out the headlight housing.

the picture on the mazda.co.jp and in the brocure shows a blue light coming from the headlights. these are not the city lights! they are low-beam halogen lights that illuminate the road better for safety.

the rest of the brochure does not mention anything at all about city lights.

I PMed theMan and he really is the man!! here is the info he gave me:

===========================
city lights are white light ONLY... they can never be amber.. only in america are people allowed to use amber parking lights

the city light on the sport20 is located at around the 12 o'clock position inside the high beam reflector unit... look at the back side of the P5 headlight housing, you should see a blank spot where the light socket will go if the hole was machined in.

the city light on sedans are at the corners, since they don't require the amber reflectors there... the turn signals both on the sport20 and the sedans are NOT lit with the parking lights... they come on ONLY as turn signals at all times
============================

JDM city light conversions, here we go!

oh.. u kno u gottah keep me informed in this.. and u need to take lots and lots of pics. -=)

the blue light is to simulate the HID headlight effect in the PICTURES *only*

city lights are a standard compulsory light in ALL cars around the world BUT north america... of course it won't get mentioned in any brochure!

city lights are W5W 5 watt bulbs (same bulbs as the mp3 side turn indicator lights, the sedan's corner bulbs, and interior map light bulbs) that do nothing for road illumination.. they are purely for marker/parking light purposes ONLY

city lights are overall a better design/concept than the US/SAE style amber parking lights because it eliminates any possible confusion it may cause to other drivers.... the different color and specific purpose use of the light allows others to know it IS a parking light... the amber type parking light can sometimes make people think it is a turn signal light... and when the amber parking light is combined dual purpose with a turn signal indicator, it can be hard to tell if the turn signal is on at night (dim-bright-dim-bright can make it harder to tell)

and best of all, city lights make the night time appearance of your car better! no lit amber!

personally if I were to mess with this crap, I would just get the espec headlights and get *real* lighting upgrade at the same time

01-03 323 sedan headlight
city light circled in blue

Attachments

• 323head.jpg
    323head.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 445
nice.. ok edwin.. bein the mazda pimp u are.. u got a line on these? or can u send me in the right direction? also do i need a contol box or switch or anything for the city lights?

the city lights are to be wired to the parking lights, and the parking light function in the front turn signals to be disabled

city lights are european parking lights dude... do your parking lights stay on when you turn on your headlights? of course!

so will i get a ticket for them here in the us because they are blue? or will my headlights cover them ? -=)

?????

they are not blue! they are white.

if you look at the back of your headlights you can see the area they should be.

well u can do the same with any color light, techically u can use an led like those in angel eyes rings and place it where you see the light in the Espec headlights, which is what I am doing...you can get em in pretty much any color including white, i got a pair in blue that are encased in a translucent tab that has 3m tape ont he back side, this way no real driling is necessary, you can stick the led's in where the Espec lights are and then just have to poke a small hole in an unseen spot to run the wires back through to get em spliced into the parking light wires.

again the b**** about this and most other headlight mods is the taking apart of the headlight, being as small as they are I was thinking of looking to see if I could do this without taking them apart, ill look tomorrow but I doubt it.

Anyway I have em but was holding off to do everything to the headlights i want to at once. Including painting the bezel, angel eyes in the high beams, the city lights in the high beams.

Between all that and my 5200k bulbs it should look nice....i hope.

Back