How long before the MSP becomes hard to find?

Jhova1012

:
Volkswagen GTi 337
Hey,
Im looking for a car.... I will be turning 16 soon, and I love the MSPs. A girl at my school has a Spicy Orange MSP -she doesnt know how lucky she is-. I know these are limited production cars but I want to know how long before the become really hard to find. I really like the MP3 and I think it would be a better car for me -lower power figures- but they are damn near impossible to find... I drive by dealers and I see two or three sitting on lot, so how long untill they all but vanish from the dealers? My bday is next month, but realisticly I wont even be looking for a car till next summer.. Depending on grades.

Uhh also.. Insurance... I know its not going to be pretty at all, anyone males around 16-18 with an MSP? Can you tell me how bad the insurance is? Ive been surfing on here for a while and i saw that alot of companies put the car under the MP3 but tubocharged?

Last edited:
lol my insurance went up 70 bucks, lol.. it went through as a regular protege... im 20.

The 03 populated the lots from about January to Late July/Mid August. Assuming the same "trend", I'd say January to February is when you should expect them to get harder to find. Note, however, this is based on what I have witnessed in my area. I have no idea about the rest of the country.

I am 17 and just got a 2003.5 yellow MSP in July and i definetly cant afford the insurence. Its like 259 a month or something. I just pay the payment and my parents take care of the insurence. But if you have a chance to get one i would cause its best car i have driven.

msppro113 said:
I am 17 and just got a 2003.5 yellow MSP in July and i definetly cant afford the insurence. Its like 259 a month or something. I just pay the payment and my parents take care of the insurence. But if you have a chance to get one i would cause its best car i have driven.

must be nice

Depends on the insurance company. For many that go by Vin the car may come up as a protege ES or not at all like progressive did with my MP3. I drive a totaly stripped ES apparently. The turbo and everything else is between us shhhh.

I know the insurance is going to be high, but its going to be high for just about any car I look at, just because of my age. So i figure if I get a job, I would work out a plan with my parents. They would name a car, get the insurance qoute, and if I get a MSP i would pay the difference in the insruance costs.

my insurance went down $100 every 6 mos. im 20. (thats from a 1990 nissan with NO safety features)

Jhova1012 said:
I know the insurance is going to be high, but its going to be high for just about any car I look at, just because of my age. So i figure if I get a job, I would work out a plan with my parents. They would name a car, get the insurance qoute, and if I get a MSP i would pay the difference in the insruance costs.

HOnestly man, I wouldn't kill yourself trying to pay for an MSP. Your talking over $300 a month with doesn't seem like a ton but when you would rather be doing anything besides working it sure as hell does. I saved a good bit per month in school by leasing an integra for 2 years. It was only $199/ month. COnsidering I only made $6/hour to start at shaws that extra $100/month wans't a small amount.

NEVER. This car will always be easy to find. There are a few that are for sale right now. You will just be buying a used car, even with the 2003.5.

Don't know about insurance, I've personally never paid more then $90 a month for full coverage on any vehicle that I have owned.

I'm selling my MSP right now if you are interested. Email me, I'll cut you a good deal.

nmaino said:
NEVER. This car will always be easy to find. There are a few that are for sale right now. You will just be buying a used car, even with the 2003.5.

Thats pretty retarted...... it's limited production.... they will gradually become harder and harder to find.... just like every other limited production car. Some will stay with their original owner for 10 years, some will get totaled in a wreck, some will get exported, etc etc.

Much like the MP3 in 2 years it'll be hard to find a clean, low mileage, and reasonably priced MSP. In 5 years it'll be even harder...

There has only been one MP3 on ebay in the past 40 days.... that would fall under the relatively hard to find category.

That's cause nobody wants to sell their MP3 or MSP cause they will loose a lot of money. I say they will be as easy to find as a regular ES with a sunroof.

Jhova1012 said:

get on your parents insurance...Insurance for you won't matter much as long as it's in your parents name. My protege was $75 under my parents. My Nissan is $270 under my name. BIG difference.

agreed with the insurance being the parents, thats how i am and i would not be able to afford it if i were on my own. trust me on that one!!

alexlitov said:
That's cause nobody wants to sell their MP3 or MSP cause they will loose a lot of money. I say they will be as easy to find as a regular ES with a sunroof.

Lose a lot of money? MSP's with 10k miles on them are still going for like $17-$18k. Brand new MSP's are only like $19k right now after discounts.

MP3's still go for $12-$13k with 20k+ miles on them..... thats pretty decent value retention.

It blows my mind how people don't understand simple numbers.

There were something like 7,500 3rd Gen Rx7's sold in North America. If you add all of the mp3's and msp's together you barely equal 5,000. That means you're going to be twice as likely to find a 3rd Gen Rx7 as you are to find a MSP. In the same light you'll be able to find 5 3rd gen rx7's for every MP3 you can find. Oddly enough the 3rd gen rx7 is considered a relatively "hard to find" car. Can you find them? Yes. Can you find a good one easily? Hell no.

So to answer the original question...... in the next 6-12 months the MSP will become hard to find and become harder each day there after.

Dude, I'm paying $530/mth for the car and $315/mth for insurance. Am I bitching about the costs? Hell ******* no. This car makes me feel so good, I could care less how much it costs. Really. I guess it just depends on your mentality, though.

Example, a while back, I spent over $3,000 for some DJ equipment. Everyone I knew thought I was an idiot for buying turntables, a mixer that costs over a grand, needles, headphones, stand, coffin, vinyl. But yet, it made ME happy. I LOVE spinning. I don't stress out over money, I stress out over not being happy. Money will come again, so enjoy it while you can, IMO.

By the way, the comments you get about your car from people of all ages will make you forget all about how much you pay for it. I have NEVER seen a car that has attracted such a wide variety of admirers. Dodge Viper's may attract younger "OHMYGOD ITS A VIPER" kinda people, but my MSP gets comments from high schoolers to elderly people at a gas station. I LOVE that feeling and the smile I get every time I hear a comment about it.

The rarest MAZDASPEEDs will be the 2003s. Fewer built (2,000 total) - plain and simple. You will never make any money on them, unless you put it away, never drive it, and then sell it in 15 years or so. It ain't no Ferrari. folks!

It's one of the rarest sports compacts - true. It gets good attention - true.

It really boils down to the color you are looking for when it's time to buy. Oh; and the other thing is; The Mazda 3 will soon be replacing the Protege. So far (and it's just my opinion), I like the look of the Protege much better.

Back