how to tell difference between msp struts and stock es struts??

MackDadam

Mazdaholic
:
2006 Mazdaspeed6
I bought some msp struts and i got to wonder how to tell the difference between my ES struts and the msp ones? im probably being paranoid, but there are spots on the msp struts still black, almost like they got painted blue and they left the bolts on. they do say tokico on them. should that assure me enough? its just i looked underneath at my stock struts and they look the same. i hope i didnt get taken for a ride here....

**** this isnt helping then...could it be possible to paint the stock struts blue.....?? please tell me no, im getting pissed just thinking that an ass would do that and sell them

well, as much as i would like to say no, im sure if you can paint calipers and valve covers and springs you could paint struts as well...im sorry man...but i remember thinking damn i wish tokico made struts for the p5 when i was changing my springs, and then i took off the wheels and springs and was like, s*** mine are tokicos...not that theyre performance models im sure :(

funny thing is, on the springs i bought there is blue paint on them, like a brush was used or something, thats what really got me wondering. now this isnt helping at all. there is a part number on it though, maybe i should just call mazda and ask what it is.

you could do that, tuesday morning if the dealership isnt open tommorrow...so you bought msp springs AND struts from him/her?

not necessarily..do a search and see who has msp struts, and ask them...and then call the dealership and see what they say the part number is...but if you bought them from an msp owner, i dont see why they would have a set of stock p5 or sedan struts just lying around

Dude

The OE P5/ES struts are black. The fronts are KYB, rears are Tokico.

The MP3/MSP struts are blue. Both fronts & rears are Tokico. Plus, the endlink mounting points are much beefier on the MP3/MSP struts (like freak'n night & day difference from the stockies.)

Post a pic of the new ones, I'll tell you if they're the real deal, or not. ;)

Jim

MackDadam said:
funny thing is, on the springs i bought there is blue paint on them, like a brush was used or something, thats what really got me wondering. now this isnt helping at all. there is a part number on it though, maybe i should just call mazda and ask what it is.

the springs should be red.

Yeah, as far as I know the endlink mounting "tabs" are probably your best bet for determining what you've got. They're much beefier on the MSP/MP3.

Chris

Back