MAP sensor conversion?

Spooled

:
Mazdaspeed Protege
I was wondering if it is possible (or even a good idea) to switch to a MAP sensor (read at the manifold) instead of the MAF? That would probably solve the stalling issues with BOV's, and give a more accurate O2 reading. Also, does anyone know why Mazda used a MAF on a turboed engine? Was it a cost issue, or simply 'caus they had the parts on the shelf? I am very interested in this simply because I think that it would solve many A/F problems.

Sorry if this is a stupid idea. I am thinking more about the physics rather than the application.

i'm sure they did it for costs, as they already had the basic setup and it doesn't really hurt anything. since you won't really gain anything from switching sensors (other than a loud turkey), and it will be a nightmare to try to get your ecu to make sense of the readings from the map sensor. if you are going to a standalone ecu, then you can think about switching, but really the only reason to switch is for the noise, then you can just buy the bov simulator noise thing

Wouldn't taking the reading from the manifold be a lot more accurate. The air has to go through a turbo, tons of tubing, and an intercooler before it gets to the engine. A lot can happen between the air filter and the manifold, especially pertaining to temperature changes. I just figured that since our cars fluxuate so much with weather and everything else, using a MAP would show us more consistant power. I definitely would not do the conversion just to get rid of the turkey sound (doesn't really bother me), but I would if it was a way to be able to use things like an S-AFC.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited:
the maf or map doesn't care about the temperature of the air at all, and since it is a closed system however much air entered the filter is the same amount of air that gets to the motor. modern maf's are plenty accurate, and converting would not be easy, maybe even impossible with the stock ecu. while in theory it would help, the benefits would be very little and the trouble to convert would far outweigh the gains and our stock air metering system is accurate enough for upwards of 400hp, so just let it be.

Back