My lower IC pipe connection sucks at life.

MP3skaterNC

JDM *****.
:
slotege mp3
well, 4 days of being intercooled, 3 lower ic pipe blow outs! Its happend all 3 times at the connection between the turbo and the lower ic pipe. always blows out from the fitting to the ic pipe. It's clamped super tight, terry?!? perhaps its just the design of the pipe trying to fit a | | onto a / \ can always cause problems. I've got some T-bolts coming, if that doesn't solve the problem i dont know what to do...

any suggestions? this is with the new stainless intercooler pipes.

Last edited:
I think there are couple places on the net where you can find or get made custom couplers, that way you could ave one made with the || on one end and the /\ on the other end and should make a better fitting, add to that a better clamp or different kind for that situation and it might work better. Otherwise I dont know what to tell you except maybe weld it there =)

Another thig I just thought of, if this is possible I really dont know, but have a bracket on each peice of pipe your connecting that you can connect to literally pull the ends toward each other. Like on the injen CAI the L bracket that attatches aright next to the hole it goes through, have that on one piece and the same bracket facing the other direction on the other and then tie those two togerther so the ends are pulling toward each other.

I am just think of basic mechanical fixes here, I dont know if this applies to the end of the turbo as I dont know how much room you have to work with.

In reality, Spool made the setup, they should have a fix for a problem such as that.

My idea is to cut the / \ off and have a longer coupler made that goes from 2" to a 2 1/2"

try and get some "hump" i/c coupler hose connections. they'll allow a little bit of flexing between pipes. t-bolt clamps may also help in your situation as well but i'd try the hump sections first.

O.K. This is top secret stuff that all the top tuners in the world use. I will let out this information only to the members of this forum. Hehehe! Hair spray!!! Good stuff. Just spray the intercooler piping or what ever peice needs to be coupled together clamp it up and presto! Trust me guys it works. It is not the end all fix but will do the job. THIS MESSAGE WILL SELF-DESTRUCT IN 10 SECONDS!!!

Dave

I was a bit worried about the end of that pipe too. The old style was not like that!

Hairspray definitely helps, but let us know. I'm a little concerned as well.

I wonder how many kits are intalled now with the new SS piping? I was thinking about an upgrade, but now I'm concerned. I've had a blow out like this (weak wristed it the first time), sucked as it happened a ways away from the house. . .

Car didn't like it to say the least!

Best of luck!

You need a strong nitrile hose...(Unsure if Paul gave you a new one when he sold you his used kit). Then push thereducer fitting really hard into the coulper until it goes up into the 2.5 inch (top part of the reducer) Then clamp it......hairspray should help ya out getting it up that far. We have dabbled with another type of reducer. Let me know if you have any problems with this since you and GOTZOOM are the first with these pipes. Call me if you have further complications. We can work something out:)

I'm supposed to use the reducer on there, oops, I used all the reducers on the intake.:D

Hey Terry, is that you in your new sig. What are you saying, I can't make it out, too small.

Terry, you gave me a new piece of hose when i bought the intercooler pipes from you. Its not a reducer though, just a straight rubber one, almost like a coolent hose. Its blown out 5 times so far. Thats at 4-5psi, I blow out more lower ic pipes than friends with other cars that run around 20psi daily.

The only problem with the design is when you clamp it really tight, it just forces the intercooler pipe downward instead of tightening around it.

stronger clamps, and a reducer hose would do wonders, but since i don't have those I'll just pull the lower ic pipe again, and hammer the rubber piece on for the 3rd time.

MP3skaterNC said:
Terry, you gave me a new piece of hose when i bought the intercooler pipes from you. Its not a reducer though, just a straight rubber one, almost like a coolent hose. Its blown out 5 times so far. Thats at 4-5psi, I blow out more lower ic pipes than friends with other cars that run around 20psi daily.

The only problem with the design is when you clamp it really tight, it just forces the intercooler pipe downward instead of tightening around it.

stronger clamps, and a reducer hose would do wonders, but since i don't have those I'll just pull the lower ic pipe again, and hammer the rubber piece on for the 3rd time.

Yeah, thats the same one I received.

I think it would be better to just cut out the reducing part on the pipe, extend the 2 1/2" up further, and just use a 2" to 2 1/2" silicone reducer.

I think it would be better to just cut out the reducing part on the pipe, extend the 2 1/2" up further, and just use a 2" to 2 1/2" silicone reducer.
I just got an idea, we reduce it like before BUT instead of using the reducer at the end we reduce it 1 inch before then have a 2inch piece of slag so its easier for the hose to fit. I will try this out tommorow and see how it comes out

doesn't take much... i mean ummm....

blah send you the pipe aye, so be carless for another 2-3 days. might as well.

eh, work. blah. i guess i can do that tomorrow, and ship it out before work.

but im lazy. i guess i can do it though.

Back