Dropped the oil pan..guess what I found..

NO ******* WAY!!!! That sucks ass! Do you know what could have happened? I wonder if you should even attempt to put them back in. Maybe buy new ones. Thats crazy dude!

Dave

Chances are I've been rolling around with them down there for a while. I wonder how my pistons are doing without them?

That's odd. How'd they come loose?

The good news is that the oil squirters are most vital for the cold start, and lots of cars dont come with them. They just add to the overall engine life.
So most likely no serious harm done.

wow you'd have to tear it about all the way back down to get to that. so I wonder if the oil just kind of drips under the pistons now.

Oh, and good call on the Boney James (in sig), Pat.

Damn, that has to be a weird sight. You bent yours though instead of modifing the pistons? So what is the next step? Is your car running OK with out them? I could sit here and ask more questions but that would only make it worse.
It seemed like your luck had turned the other direction. You should start a buisness and rebuild FS-DE and ZE engines as a contract for a turbo manufacturer that way you would always have a spare engine laying around.:)
Sorry to here about your engine.

blynzoo said:
That's odd. How'd they come loose?

The good news is that the oil squirters are most vital for the cold start, and lots of cars dont come with them. They just add to the overall engine life.
So most likely no serious harm done.

from some random web site

some random website said:
oil squirters that douse the underside of the piston and the surrounding cylinder wall with cooling oil. This practice reduces piston temperatures, which helps the engine develop more power. The cooler piston/cylinder interface also enhances long-term durability.

Problems, problems, problems. Nothing but trouble. Sorry for the bad suck man. You should think about getting out from under that car like I did. Is the second car going to keep you from moving? That sucks.

Doh! Well, it's not the end of the world, just have those piston skirts moded. :-(

I'm not ready to give up yet! Some more info just got conveyed to the Protege community....Machine your forged pistons for oil squirter clearance! I looked up through the MBSP, and all my internals look so brand new! All coated in Redline. :D The only thing I did notice is that there is a very small dent in the pistons where the oil squirter hit. The cylinder walls look clean. My engine is still good, and all this means is that the pistons won't get squirted on. They will be a little hotter. Not the end of the world as Kooldino has said. The 2nd car I am eyeing is none other than a 88' RX-7 Turbo II 10AE.

I can tell you exactly why they cut off. When you bent them and then cranked the motor over to see if the pistons skirts would hit them, you didn't account for the rods and pistons having the compressive forces of the burning air/fuel. It doesn't seem like the rods can stretch or compress like that because they are so hard, but the metal flexes more than you think. That space you left for them probably wasn't enough.

big_ben said:
I can tell you exactly why they cut off. When you bent them and then cranked the motor over to see if the pistons skirts would hit them, you didn't account for the rods and pistons having the compressive forces of the burning air/fuel. It doesn't seem like the rods can stretch or compress like that because they are so hard, but the metal flexes more than you think. That space you left for them probably wasn't enough.

This is what I am thinking as well. Now everyone knows what to do going forward.

The 2nd car I am eyeing is none other than a 88' RX-7 Turbo II 10AE.
JESUS CHRIST!:D If you think the Protege is a headache, just wait! The old RX7s are a pain in that ass! I feel sorry for you and your wallet. Why not just send me the money in the mail, it will have the same effect.:D

Back