Gauge Cluster Swap

I purchased a used cluster to solve my broken needle problem and the odometer is showing the mileage of the previous car. I was wondering if anyone knew how to fix this problem -- ill be calling the dealer tomorrow as well.

Pe@ce

didnt know that you broke your needles, or did a face swap. But anyways i have never heard of this problem, i always heard it was stored in the computer in the car. Maybe try resetting that?
I dunno?

Yep when my bf was installing the rev-indiglo's he was being VERY carefull and got the speedo and tach done perfectly. As he was doing the fuel/temp -- SNAP. Nothing he could do about it, he was being as carefull as ever.

However, we did try pulling the neg cable, pumped the brake to bleed out the current in the lines, left it sit for like 10 mins ... put the terminal back on ... still reading the old mileage.

I read in an old post that supposedly the cluster will read different no matter what, and that the true mileage is also stored in the ECU. I cant imagine thats right tho since if I were to buy a new cluster from the dealership, my mileage would read 0!??? Would be great if I was selling the car in a few years as a "low mileage" lol

Pe@ce

yeah tru that, i dont see how the cluster could store the info though, specially without power. I would search and see all the members who have broke their needles before and email them and ask them if they are in the same boat. I know i have read of several getting new clusters
Mike

What you can do is remove the entire piece from the cluster. You undo 3 screws from the back and find the needle and guage face pop right out. Just place them in them in the old unit for you mileage

The non-orginal cluster will read the mileage from the old car. in order to get it to read correctly you have to have the odometer reprogramed. i know on the majority of vehicles this works...i've never asked about the protege so i cant say 100% that it's workable. the ecu will log the correct mileage, thats a good odometer roll back tatletale device. You asked about ordering one from the dealer...it will be programed with the mileage that you give them when you order it.

i had a 91 accords b4 and i ****** the needles big time (learn from experience :p) but all i could do, so i was told, is buy a new cluster. i think thatll be your best bet because at least u know everything is new. expensize but worth it in the long run i think? good luck and sorry to hear - chris

I talked with mazda and they told me when they order them they tell the dealership your current reading and it is shipped that way. They can't reset them to the correct number. They said, if I get an aftermarket/used, to write down my old and then do the math when I go to sell the car. There are some places that may be able to reprogram it, I will look around.

If removing the needles is so easy I may just pop my broken fuel guage off and put in the working one.

just take out the fuel / temp pod and put it in your gaugecluster.. -=) or there are directions on here to change just the fuel needle. -=P i need to do my temp eventually ..

Back