Need Rear Brake Install Help!!

Sporin

My rear brake calipers were sticking and despite my protestations, neither dealer that is even vaguely "local" to me wanted to replace them under warranty. Given that it is nearly a 2 hour ride to either one, it seemed cheaper and easier to just do it myself.

What a hassle getting parts! Finally found the rotors at a local Foreign Auto Parts place, but needed to overnight the pads and clips from www.mazdaformance.com. They were very helpul btw. :)

I considered upgrading, but this is still substantially cheaper and I'm not sure the upgraded brake kits would fit in my 15" steelies that I run in winter. :'(

So I tore everything apart on one side, have the rotors and pads will be here tomorrow. I need to get it all back together asap.

However, I am a bit unclear on how the pads and all the clips go together. Can anyone point me to a good tech article or an FAQ? I've been searching and searching with no luck.

I can compare to the other side, which is still all together, but I would LOVE some written instructions.

Thanks!

I finally managed to get my rear brakes done. New pads and rotors on.

Took me a while to figure out how to move the big piston back (you turn it).

Getting the new pads in with the limited space and my big hands was VERY tricky, but I got it eventually.

Everything works great now, nice quiet braking, no dragging, calipers releasing well (apparently).

Only problem I have left is that my e-brake doesn't work. Anyone know how to adjust it?

There is a cable in the rear (i think it is on the drivers side) you can adjust it there.
Make sure the it is not partially engaged or you will see scars on your rotor after a while. (this is what happened to me)

Thanks for that, but it runs out that in the middle console, next to the e-brake handle, you can pull up the cover. Next to the handle there is a 10mm adjusting bolt for the cable. A few turns and you're all set back the way it should be. Very easy.

i looked underneath first, but didn't see anywhere to adjust it. The bottom of our cars is so smooth! :)

AWESOME!

My Parking Brake ( emergency brake ) is loose as s***. Which annoys me because I can't do e-brake slides in the rain. I was going to wait until I changed my exhaust to adjust it, because I noticed when I was under there that the single cable changes to a double cable running to each caliper pretty much dead center in the middle of the car - but you would need to remove the exhaust and the heat sheild.

I'll be tightening mine at the shop today. Forecast calling for rain. Weeeeeee!

Thanks for that, but it runs out that in the middle console, next to the e-brake handle, you can pull up the cover. Next to the handle there is a 10mm adjusting bolt for the cable. A few turns and you're all set back the way it should be. Very easy.

That shows you how much my service advisor knows. I had a problem with scaring on my rear rotor so I brought it to the dealer for warranty purposes. After the car was done I still noticed the scar ring all around my rear rotor, So I asked what they did if anything. They said that it would clear up in a few days ... it turns out that my E-brake was slightly engaged even though my handle was all the way down. He is the one that told me where the cable was and how it needed to be adjusted.

HAHAHA! GOTTA LOVE THE DEALERSHIPS!

let it sit a while, I believe the e brake is self ratcheting (spelling?). I had the same problem and it corrected itself within a day of normal usel. just be sure to leave the car in gear the first little bit.

Latest posts

Back