Rusted brake rotors

wow are you serious? You should definitely take some action against them! I haven't called my dealer yet, but I'm scared that I'll end up cursing him out! Wish me luck early next week!

You are not the only one, and P5 is not alone with this problem...

Over in Nissan Altima forums, many people have complained about the same. Seems like the way to handle it is to simply brush it off with a wire brush here and there and that is it.

You can't really put anything onto them to prevent oxidation without messing with your braking and it would burn off anyway.
Probably does not help you but at least U know Mazda is not alone...

mine are getting painted as i write. the car is in the body shop and my contact said he paint up for me. mine were pretty bad!

i had my factory one s painted but ive got cross drilled and slotted on there now and the are cadmium plated.

fyi....apparently the hub rust tsb does not apply to Mazda Canada (or at least that's what my dealership told me).

This is dumb. I guess in Canada there's no chance that our Rotor's will rust with all that salt on the roads during that season called winter.

I'll ask for this TSB when i go pick up my new head unit, at least they changed THAT without pissing me off.

My cat looks less clueless than someone from Mazda Canada, and my cat is pretty dumb i can attest to that. :)

Mazda Canada are fucktards. They mark up part prices 30% too...

Sorry, really pissed at Mazda lately.

Karl....i feel your pain man. i guess canada and the us use different numbering systems for the tsb's. he said that he had never "heard" of a tsb for the rust problem, so that doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't exist. go raise some sh*t!!

Good advice. Mine are the same way and I bought my PR5 at the end of June. Even my wheel weights have rust on them.

I used 1200 degree paint, no primer. I sanded down the hubs with a wire wheel on a drill. Used a sponge brush to put it on.

After many washes and rain, no rust so far. If I have to do it once a year, no big deal. cheaper than putting on 4 new rotors.

Before:
fc01d3ad.jpg

After:
fc01d319.jpg

Total time: 3 hours for all four corners.
Cost: $5.75 for some Duplicolor High Heat and a Big Gulp cup to spray it into.

I just sprayed the paint into the cup, then brushed it on. That way I didn't have to tape everything off. ;)

Last edited:
Do you need to worry about getting paint on the rotor if you are not taping it off? I know the brake pads would scrape off anything they come in contact with. But wouldn't there be a small section of the rotor painted where the pads don't touch?

Blappo said:
Do you need to worry about getting paint on the rotor if you are not taping it off? I know the brake pads would scrape off anything they come in contact with. But wouldn't there be a small section of the rotor painted where the pads don't touch?

you're right, the brake pads would rub off most of it...and the rest would stay put, but wouldn't harm anything. you don't want to get it on your pads though.

welcome to the site....if you do a search there's tonnes of info on painting calipers...in fact, i was just doing a search about that just before i read your post....weird.

Thanks for the welcome. I used the search to find this thread.

My hubs look like Natey's before picture. I was curious how he got such a clean edge between the painted hub and the metal rotor. I would have thought the pads might leave a rough edge as they scrape away the paint, and a small section of the rotor between the hub and the pads would still have paint.

Natey I was wondering what kind of Paint brand/ Paint color
and how much grit sandpaper did you use? Also did you primer
and clearcoat and how much coats of paint did you apply?
Anyway the finish product looks awsome I plan on painting the
hubs, the rotors I'am not so worried about since I will prob buy
the ractive ones. Personally I would'nt even bother going to my
dealership their assholes they would'nt even acknowledge
that I had an appointment for an oil change and they made me
wait 2 extra hours to do it.

Thanks you guys! :)

Subghetto: I used Duplicolor high heat spray paint in silver. To clean the rotors, I used a wirebrush bit for my cordless drill and some rubbung alcohol. It took about 10 minutes to clean each rotor. Make sure they're nice and shiney before you start painting.

Blappo: I used a sponge brush to brush the paint on. Spray the paint onto a big, disposable cup(Big Gulp works great, DO NOT use styrofoam;)), let it sit for about 15 minutes--this will thicken the paint, then carefully brush the paint on. If a little paint runs down the rotor, wipe it with some alcohol but don't really worry about it too much. The calipers will make a nice, clean edge for you the first time you step on the brakes.

FYI: I never felt any ill effects from the small amount of paint that ran down my rotors...and I was really paying attention to it because someone warned me that the paint would f-ck up my brake pads....Nope. They were/are fine.

Back