STOP your cold engine rattle! (plus a rant)

blynzoo

Contributor
:
'02 Red P5...BUT AS OF 1/31/08 an '08 Silver SPEED3!!!
I'm sorry, I posted briefly about this in response to someone else's dealer problems. I just had to rant!!

So the cold engine rattle (the vibration/rough acceleration when you start the car cold) had started to really bother me. I get the TSB on the cold engine rattle (listed as "01-004/03 2001-2003 PROTEGE/PROTEGE5 - RATTLING NOISE AT 1000-3000 RPM COLD ENGINE") off the net and bring it in to schedule an appointment.

I LEAVE the TSB printout with the service mgr. and tell him to ORDER THE PART NOW so when I come in next week for my appointment I can pick the car up same day. He nods.

Week later, I drop my car off on the way to work. I come by at 4pm when the car is supposed to be ready. I ask the same service mgr if my car is ready. He says "I couldnt find the TSB that you talked about." So he had misplaced the TSB that I gave him, and couldnt find another. Luckily, I know that 99% of dealer mechs are idiots (There are some GREAT :) ones on this board, though!) and so I brought another copy of the TSB. He blushes. He had already called the mechanic who was working on my car up, and the mechanic (one of the good ones) says "oh yeah, I found that TSB on my own this morning, I had to order a part, it should be in by next week."

Of course, I start fuming, and remind the service mgr that I brought in the TSB last week and told him to order the part. He told me he couldnt order the part without the car there...okay, he STARTED to tell me that, but I cut him off before I could finish, because he's an idiot. So I take their stapler, and staple the TSB to the work order, and write the part # that he needs to order ON the work order FOR HIM, and then watch him order it on the computer.

On the flip side, the engine rattle is gone. The idle is much smoother, and the car is more driveable when it it cold.
BTW, there has been a lot of speculation about the cause of the rattle. Here is Mazda's explanation:

Some customers may experience an engine rattle noise under light to moderate acceleration with engine coolant temperatures below 65 C (149 F) and engine RPMs between 1000 and 2900 RPM.

The noise is the result of the intentional swirl effect that is generated when the Variable Tumble Control System (VTCS) plates in the intake manifold are closed. Swirl accelerates the burn of the air/fuel mixture which reduces emissions when the engine is cold. The noise does not have a negative effect on the engine, and disappears as soon as coolant temperature reaches 65 C (149 F). There is a counter-measure to help reduce the noise in order to improve customer satisfaction.
As someone else suggested, the rattle is actually the valve rattling against a "screw" (the part that must be replaced in the TSB) because it is getting "bumped" by the swirl.

So to sum up (and this has been posted piecemeal before all over the site):

The TSB is:
01-004/03 2001-2003 PROTEGE/PROTEGE5 - RATTLING NOISE AT 1000-3000 RPM COLD ENGINE
APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
2001-2003 Protege (2.0L FS only)

2002-2003 Protege5

DESCRIPTION
Some customers may experience an engine rattle noise under light to moderate acceleration with engine coolant temperatures below 65 C (149 F) and engine RPMs between 1000 and 2900 RPM.

The noise is the result of the intentional swirl effect that is generated when the Variable Tumble Control System (VTCS) plates in the intake manifold are closed. Swirl accelerates the burn of the air/fuel mixture which reduces emissions when the engine is cold. The noise does not have a negative effect on the engine, and disappears as soon as coolant temperature reaches 65 C (149 F). There is a counter-measure to help reduce the noise in order to improve customer satisfaction.

Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using one of the following procedures:

REPAIR PROCEDURE
Verify customer concern.

Check vehicle VIN range:
From VIN JM1BJ2***1*400001 to JM1BJ2***2*551281, go to step 3.
From VIN JM1BJ2***2*551282 to JM1BJ2***3*644493, go to step 4.

Replace the VTCS delay valve, then proceed to step 4.

Reprogram the PCM using WDS (Version B22 or later), verify the correct calibration from the table below:

Year/Tranmssion

File Name

New Calibration P/N

2001 MTX

DXAGBT0

1L2U-AA

2001 ATX

DXAGAS0

1L2U-BA

2002 MTX

QKMABB0

2ALU-EA

2002 MTX

QKMABB0

2ALU-EA

2002 ATX

QKAABA0

2ALU-FA

2002 ATX

QKAABA0

2ALU-FA

2002 ATX

QKBA7A0

2ALU-GA

2003 MTX

QOAMCB0

3ALU-JB

2003 ATX

QOAADA0

3ALU-KB

2003 ATX

QOAB8C0

3ALU-LB

Install revised PCM calibration sticker (9999-95-AMDC 97 available through MStore) in appropriate position (next to vehicle emissions label) with the calibration P/N provided in the table above.

Verify repair.
PART(S) INFORMATION

Part Number

Description

Qty.

Notes

N23613980A

Delay Valve

Application:

All 2001 Model Year

&

2002 model year built on and before November 5, 2001

WARRANTY INFORMATION
NOTE: This information applies to verified customer complaints on vehicles covered under normal warranty. Refer to the SRT microfiche for warranty term information.

Delay Valve Replacement and PCM Reprogram
Warranty Type

A

Symptom Code

Damage Code

9W

Part Number Main Cause

N236 13 980A

Quantity

Operation Number / Labor Hours:

XX444XR1 / 0.8

PCM Reprogram
Warranty Type

A

Symptom Code

Damage Code

9W

Part Number Main Cause

Quantity

Operation Number / Labor Hours:

XX444XR2 / 0.8

The TSB is available from:
http://web2.airmail.net/emann/protegefaq/tsb/
under "3rd generation"

Feel free to print this page and take it to your dealer. While you're there, have them sand, prime, and paint the exposed part of your rotors for free:
RUST ON BRAKE ROTOR HUBS
Applicable Models
Model Starting S/N Ending S/N
2001 PROTEGE 00000000 ZZZZZZZZ
2002 PROTEGE 00000000 ZZZZZZZZ
1999 MILLENIA 00000000 ZZZZZZZZ
2000 MILLENIA 00000000 ZZZZZZZZ
2001 MILLENIA 00000000 ZZZZZZZZ

0003559 Dealer Repair Information

Rust can be seen on the brake rotor hub area when looking between the wheel spokes. The rust is most visible on vehicles equipped with 17" chrome wheels.

1. Remove rust from hub(s) by sanding.
2. Clean/prep hub surface for primer.
3. Mask off brake rotor area.
4. Apply primer around entire hub area.
5. Once primer dries, apply a heat type silver paint to the affected area to repair the vehicle.
Note: Replace the hub(s) if the affected area cannot be repaired enough to satisfy the customer.

Sorry for the rant, I hope this helps. Feel free to PM me with any Q's

Last edited:
Good deal, sometimes you just need to shovel down their throats before they get it right.

btw here is a nice writeup on the VTCS problem
Link

how long it takes dealer to fix this if they have the parts? and it takes about week dealer to get parts? :confused:

Last edited:
im going in on monday to have mine looked at for the smoke its blowing and also that noise and i brought them down allthis info from the last time it was posted and they said that it is not from the Mazda corporation so they could not consider it as legitament ???? THAT IS SUCH HORSE s*** if you ask me

Bijou-MP5 said:
how long it takes dealer to fix this if they have the parts? and it takes about week dealer to get parts? :confused:
If you or I were doing it, it would take less than 2hrs. But because this is a dealer, allow them one whole day. They should not need more than one day to do it, all you do is take apart the throttle body and replace one part by the butterfly (I think that's where it's located), put the TB back together and flash the ECU.

Call your dealer and schedule an appointment. Give them the TSB number ("01-004/03 2001-2003 PROTEGE/PROTEGE5 - RATTLING NOISE AT 1000-3000 RPM COLD ENGINE APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
2001-2003 Protege (2.0L FS only) "
and have them order the part while you're on the phone. To do that you will need to have your VIN handy. And yes, they CAN order this thing when you make the appointment. It's a part that would cost about .50 at a hardware store. They're not going to take a huge financial loss if you dont come in and it doesnt get used.
Oh, and the part took about 3-4 business days to get there, I just had a weekend stuck in the middle.

And the TSB's ARE from mazda. The TSB's are available from NIHTSA and several other sites who pay fees to the manufacturers. Consumers in turn can subscribe to the companies and get the TSB's for their cars. I assume the person who posted these has a subscription to one of these sites and is just reposting for everyone, something I would do myself if I had a subscription.

If a dealer says it's not from Mazda, but it has a goddamn Mazda TSB #, then you need to report that dealer to Mazda Corporate, PLEASE CALL.

does this affect every 2.0 l engine from mazda? My 2003 P5 doesnt rattle and i've started it at -25C Is it that noticable?

Tonight as I went out to Safeway to buy some things. On the uphills I've noticed somewhat engine rattle, I wasn't exactly sure if that is what's being described here. However, my question is that soon I'm going to have my intake and exahust install, do you guys think the dealer will refuse to fix this problem? Also, this may be dumb, but I assume this shouldn't charge me anything since it should be covered under warranty even tho my car is 22k on mileage and been about a year?

Thanks

Last edited:
Jliao said:
Tonight as I went out to Safeway to buy some things. On the uphills I've noticed somewhat engine rattle, I wasn't exactly sure if that is what's being described here. However, my question is that soon I'm going to have my intake and exahust install, do you guys think the dealer will refuse to fix this problem? Also, this may be dumb, but I assume this shouldn't charge me anything since it should be covered under warranty even tho my car is 22k on mileage and been about a year?

Thanks

Try downshifting while going up the hill!!!

Take off your intake cause the dealer is going to b**** about it. It's just easier to take it off when you are going in.

Well, I have an auto, but I would guess if I were on a hill that's steep steep enough then I would use O/D. However, the hill wasn' that steep enough for me to use O/D, so my engine was simple idleing around 2k-2.5k RPM, because of that I was able to kinda hear it.

Intake, then I guess I'm going to wait on the installation until I get this thing fixed. What about exahust? ain't easy to take exahust off! :p

blynzoo,

You're the man, truly! I just got my car a week ago (used), and the cold engine noise has been driving me nuts. I printed off the TSB, and I'm taking it in tomorrow at 7 a.m. hehe. Wish me luck. Hopefully this gets fixed.

Crap Link is dead, anyone know the actual link to the TSB, My Wife has a 2002 Mazda Protege and that damn Cold Start Rattle has pissed me off from the beginning, we took it in, and they said there was a TSB out on it but all they did is reset the ECU.. Okay whatever, and her Gas Mileage is total crap.

Can someone PM or give me the link to the TSB I'd greatly appreciate it.

its actually in his first posts just highlight it then right click and hit print

I wonder if I should take my car in for this b4 my warranty is up (at the end of this month) i haven't noticed anything but hell its a free fix

ZeroAccess said:
its actually in his first posts just highlight it then right click and hit print

I wonder if I should take my car in for this b4 my warranty is up (at the end of this month) i haven't noticed anything but hell its a free fix

Was going to but, Id rather have the official one :(... Do you have it?

Warranty on hers runs out very soon too :(

My dealer couldn't figure it out-even with the TSB on the steering wheel. I'm just going to remove the VTCS. That way I don't have to worry about the screws coming out and destroying the engine.

NVMY03GT said:
Was going to but, Id rather have the official one :(... Do you have it?
Warranty on hers runs out very soon too :(
You should only need the TSB number to point your dealer in the right direction, because they have access to all of them. If they refuse to do any work, then it is likely that they wouldn't have done it even with a paper copy in hand.

Then you should try another dealer...

PS: the TSB number is on the first page.

Back