disconnecting the battery??

ok, ive heard opposite ways that you should disconnect the battery when working on the electrical system of your car (ie, radio). do you disconnect the positive or negative wire? i remember one is good, and one is like terrible to disconnect, so i need advice. also, it looks like it the wires are connected to the battery with just a nut, so am i gonna like die if i take a ratchet to it?

sorry if the questions are dumb :rolleyes:

You want to disconnect the negative terminal.
However I always do the positives on my car becuse it is a hour process to get the negative off. I have done it atleast 30 time with no issue. Just make sure nothing is on and no doors are open when you hook it back up.
touching a metal rathced and a battery terminal will do nothing to you. If you drop the ratchet across the terminals the your F-d. Also if the battery is connected you can gram the terminal and you won't get shocked unless your hands are soaked. Well atleast i think so but maybe you should try it and let us know how it turns outs. Now if the battery is not connected then that a different story.

ok, wel i figured id take off the positive since thats where i need to attach power wires anyways, i just thought i remembered reading that disconnecting a certain pole could like fry your car's electrical system. will disconnecting the + drain your battery or anything?

yea no doubt on disconnecting the negative terminal. took my spoiler off this weekend to install padding between it and the chassis to reduce rattle and wasn't paying a ton of attention and just disconnected that short ground wire that runs from the negative terminal over to close to the fuse box. got in my car to pop it in neutral so we could push it up a little to close the garage door since it was freezing and just out of habit put the key in and on came the radio. removing that whole cluster of wires on the negative terminal was such a b**** it's not even funny. when i installed a cap yesterday i disconnected to positive and had no problems and no sparks so i'd agree and do the positive. it's a lot quicker

Back