Supercharged mp3?

Does anyone know if there is a aftermarket supercharger for the mp3? I would much rather go with a supercharger than a turbo. A turbo requires alot of maintance and requires cool down and warm up periods. Also i think a supercharger is much more reliable

Our engine is too weak for a supercharger...it wouls suck the bottom line down to nada.

Originally posted by Kooldino:
<STRONG>Our engine is too weak for a supercharger...it wouls suck the bottom line down to nada.</STRONG>

can you please explain this. I dont know that much about boosting, but how would a turbo running at 6-8 psi be ok, but a Supercharger not be ok, its not running anymore boost

AS far as I'm concern, I know that supercharger need more bost to make same kind of power than a turbo. Supercharger is another thing that your engine need to make runing, like an alternator or something like that. It take power to give you power. On turbo, it's the exhaust that make the turbo runing, so it doesn't need extra power to make it work.

The motor is not to weak for a supercharger. If that were true, you wouldn't be able to run a turbo.

And yes, the supercharger does run off the crank, but it is also generating boost. At idle I think the Jackson Racing superchargers are putting out like 2 psi. This should negate any parasitic effects it would have on the crank.

And a supercharger like an Eaton type roots blower usually only makes about 6 psi at full boost, the temp. of the air is going to higher because of the lack of intercooling but there are ways to help with that.

And you can make more boost by changing the pulley sizes. You can get more boost out of a turbo easier, becuase you can change the size of turbo etc. to get there. It is difficult to do that with a supercharger.

As far as warm up and cool down time goes for a turbo, there is mixed reviews on that. Some people same turbos are designed to run hard and "be put up wet" and other believe in cool down time. It depends on who you ask. The turbo timer people say cool down is important (gee, I wonder why??). Non-turbo timer sellers seem to torn one the "cool down theory."

all of you guys have good points. I don't believe our engine is to weak for a supercharger though. Also doesn't a turbo require much more maintence than a supercharger. Also at idle a supercharger is not putting out any boost that's why they last so much longer. A turbo is constantly running.

Depends on whether the charger uses a bypass valve or not. IMHO. If not, it will develop boost at idle, otherwise it will not. That's how they are able to develop CARB compliant systems with the roots type blowers. Pulleys can always be changed for more boost, but you should take motor integrity into account.

Back