how many miles at purchase time ?!?!!?

googly

Hey all,

Great forum...super informative!! Glad there are places like this to get info!!

I'm supposed to take delivery of a new P5 tomorrow...the dealer said he had to have a driver drive the car from the other side of the state (149 miles on the odometer now!)...is this commonplace?! Is it possible that this is actually a demo model that he's pawning off...

How many miles are normal on a new car?!

Confused... :(

i had 129 on mine when i bought it.. it was the last yellow and a test drive car.. they adjusted the warranty numbers to reflect the mileage.. make sure you have that done...

congrats on the car.. what color did you choose?

Midnight Blue...dunno' why...it just struck me as cool! :)

Maybe I'm just being paranoid about the mileage...sigh...

nice color.. my friend got one in midnight blue after seeing mine in yellow.. i like all of the colors...

It was prob a demo car.. usually they have like 3-4 miles at arrival... but I wouldnt worry about it too much.. if it bugs you cant you just ask for a diff car?

Mine had 148...during the remodeling of my local Dealer, a roof tile fell and took out the drivers side front fender. They took the car 70 miles both ways to a certified Mazda N.A. body shop. (Also the same Mazda place that had a stock of orange MSPs') and that is how I had the miles. It was also the last yellow one they were going to get with a 5 spd,and it looks fine...so they gave me a really good deal on the extended warranty..:rolleyes:

I'm slowly working my way up to more colourful cars (all my other cars have been black). :)

I suppose I could just say "nope...it's not for me" if it bugs me too much...but I'm trying to just not worry about...I'm just a little annoyed that the car's probably a demo even after the dealer said "Oh no...I never sell demo cars!"...are they all weasels?! ;-)

Mine was fresh of the truck (5 miles) since I ordered it, but I work at a dealer and it is common for cars to have some miles on them, the most common reason is dealer trades.

My midnight blue 2003 P5 had about 15km or ~10mi. I think my sister's protege had 5km or ~2mi.

A guy I knew bought a new Nissan Sentra couple years back. The car had something like 60mi on it, he told the dealer he's not taking it 'cause it's too much milage on it. Eventually the dealer did get him another car.

When we took delivery (last night), it had 17 miles on the ODO. :cool:

Let me just tell you that I love driving this car - I can't wait to take it on a road trip this weeekend!

when I climbed behind the wheel to do my test drive she had just barely over 1 mile on it. It rolled to 7 by the time I was done grannying her for a little while. Man that thing stunk on the test drive too. All the oils and paint and s*** they put on the new engine was burning off. I wasnt worried about it though. I was happy to be the first to really drive it.
Mike

Mine had 2 on test drive. 7 after the salesman filled it up with gas and washed it and such.

11miles on mine.
one of only two new yellows in south florida on the weekend of 8/19/2001 :)

googly, I personally wouldn't accept the vehicle. If the dealer really wants your business he'd have it shipped to the dealership at no charge to you. If he refuses, I would simply take my business elsewhere. I had less than 1 mile on mine when I got it.

My laser blue hadn't even gone through prep yet when I bought it, a little Less then a mile when I was inspecting it, and it had 2 miles on it when I drove it off the lot for the first time after they took it out to fill with gas and back. 5 months and a week later, 11,200.

my car less than a mile on it and had not been prepped yet. i didnt test drive it because i drove my fiancees' brothers p5 he bought 1 week before i got mine. when i picked it up it had 5 miles (because of gas, prepping, and such). almost 7 months later, it has 5900 miles. :D

Dealer Trading Is Common Practice

My '03 P5 had 77 miles on it at delivery, because it came from a dealership 70+ miles away in MI. MY '97 Civic had 122 on it coming from Clevelan, OH. My '92 Saturn had 435 Miles on the odo. (Dealership General Manager's car) and they made good on the mileage. My '88 323 had 35 miles on it as it was dealer traded from the dealer in Monroe, MI. My '83 Civic had 55 miles on the clock due to the dealer trade from Findlay, OH. Most dealers won't do a flatbed swap on a single car because of the extra expense, especially if you whittled the profit down to 3% or less, particulary on inexpensive compacts.
I never had a single problem or damage due to the dealer trade drive and I keep my cars for at least ten years and put well over 100,000 miles on them. I did end up with free pinstriping a couple of times and once they took the pinstriping off. It's your choice not to accept a deal that includes a dealer trade, but if I really liked the car (and I wouldn't be buying it if I didn't), I would not let it stand in the way. In every case, I was given the original sticker that showed where the vehicle came from. Or if you have the VIN number of the car, go to Mazda's "locate a vehicle" page and look for it in the dealer's inventory list. Jim

Last edited:
got mine last july with 17 mi. on the odometer. 3or 4 of which were put on during my test drive. now at 14200.

Mine had 10 on the odo when I got it. I'd only test driven a different one, so that was when I first saw the miles.

Back