'rough' idle

yinzen

Anytime my car is in idle .. it hovers around 750rpm and every few seconds it stutters down to 700rpm kind of like it is about to die, then jumps back up to 750rpm. It is kind of subtle but irritating. Is this normal for our cars? Like the computer might be trying to use as little fuel as possible during idle? And another question ... there is sooty deposit already forming around the bottom/outside of my exhaust .... is it running too rich? It is just approaching the 600 mile mark.

my exhaust is the same and from what I understand, our cars run rich and this is normal.
mike

I see from your sig that you're planning to install a set of the Sparkco wires. I put mine in a couple of weeks ago and noticed an immediate improvement in the idle quality. Noticeably smoother now.

TSB MT0000144

Well I have never been able to remedy the rough idle. First oil change seemed to help. Sparkco wires made no difference. I had noticed a 'resistance' feeling during hard accelerations at certain points in the rpms, but thought this was just the weak engine. It will also randomly drop RPMs drastically, when stopped and idling, and almost stall, then recover to the rough idle. But then I found this TSB that sounds like it really could be the cause of my problems:

0000144 Dealer Repair Information

If a vehicle has rough idle, poor acceleration on aggressive driving, or
other driveability concerns, the injectors may have an incorrect spray
pattern. The pattern should be a cone shaped mist. If there are
streams or drops of fuel, then driveability problems could result. An
injector volume check and leakage test should also be done when testing
for spray pattern. Follow the procedures in the Workshop Manual.

I am going to take it to the dealer, I will give feedback as soon as I know more.

..Update..

Well I got to the dealer at about 3pm, and left at about 530pm. I told them about the symptoms showed them a printout of the TSB. I also told them about the cold start rattle (which I had just started experiencing) and showed them that TSB printout. I figure while I was there might as well get the computer's programming upgraded. Well they say they couldn't find anything causing the rough idle and couldnt reproduce the problem with acceleration. Big surprise, but I asked them if they actually looked at and tested the injectors, they assured me they did. I am a bit skeptical. I am going to look over the Service Manual for what is involved in testing the injectors, and see if I can find evidence that they were 'in there'. But they did do the reprogram for the cold rattle TSB; 1 out 2, at least. It seems to feel a little different, but could just be my imagination.

hey there is a TSB on this for our cars....u should look it up
MAZDA NA sent me somethin but my dlr never seen or heard anything and took it from me...

I havn't really noticed it too much in my car. Probably because my last car (98 protege DX) was so much worse. I took that one in and they told me it was normal. At that time I really didn't care much so I didn't argue the point, but now I do. If it starts to get really bad like my 98 I just may have to take her in. That sux!!

hey

just for reference i have a rough idle every now and then only when the engine is hot. has only happened after i put the injen air intake on. but has got better since i put the denso plugs and magnecor wires on

later

TSB for idle issues ...

Hey NYCZMP3, what is the TSB number you are referring to for this? My car is still idling rough. Is it a different one than the TSB I posted above?

i had it when i first installed the turbo, but once i rigged up FM's ECU signal switch it pretty much cured it. When I test drove the MSP I noticed this problem as well.

how you guys making out with the rough idle? i had no problems with my car until i "jumped" my wifes dead battery the other day. right afterward i'm stoped at a red light and it feels likes it's gonna die....idle drops...back up. i reset the ecu, seemed better then it's back again? i've got 40k miles on the car. any help would be appreciated. mark

when my car was NA i had the same problem that was caused by a clamp not beigned tight enough, was fine at first but then started to act up until i tighten clamps....dunno i yall checked that already if a intake is present.....

thanks, i did replace some hoses last week, but drove all week with no problem...i'll check though.

Latest posts

Back