[Rant] My CX-5 may be my last Mazda, even if I love to drive them

I agree Mazda are years behind, but then i think all Jap cars are not keeping up with the competition.
In the UK most Vag cars have android auto as standard.

My next car will certainly have it.
They is a hack available but as yet i think its not 100% working.

I've noticed the same, ironically, that Japanese cars lack in the electronics department. That said, my 370Z Touring/NAV wasn't shabby at all, but HUD would have been cool. That's just being nitpicky though. Of the American cars, I think Chrysler is the only one that impresses me with their electronics. My 2010 Jeep was where most top of the line offerings from Mazda and Nissan and the like are, today.

And where does the electricity get generated to recharge your electric car? Coal fired power plants. And you think your car will be 0 emissions? Seriously? Lol!

I've never heard of anyone buy a car or truck based on the music app's it has. You must really need certain music in your life. Are you retired? Maybe a hobby would be a good idea?

(kiss)

Maybe Mazda wants you to focus on the driving task and not beating off with a bunch of fucktard gadgetry. Is it really any safer than dicking with the same s*** on your phone, laptop, tablet or GPS device while driving because it's built into the car? **** no! Just drive and be entertained by not endangering everyone around you.

Last edited:
Must be a TQ thing, to obsess over an arguably minor detail.

So I've had a really good sleep and I've read all answers. Yeah I was pretty heavy with the "impact". I have to agree, it sucks, but hey, it's a radio. For Zero Emission, yeah I know the emission are just "moved" but I still think hydro is better than gas.

That being said, if I'm not happy I can just put a Pioneer unit. Costs not that much and I loose nothing (unless I want to change my car's settings ... I can always ask the dealer on my visits). I'll have to wait and see how it goes but I have to agree that Mazda still gives me the best drive for the buck.

For BMW, gave them a pass because I actually experienced their product and WOW. They really put an effort in it, but you pay for it.

TL;DR : I slept and realized this isn't as important as my rant might try to show. Yes they are taking their sweet time but it doesn't remove anything from my pleasure to drive the damn car.

Maybe Mazda wants you to focus on the driving task and not beating off with a bunch of fucktard gadgetry. Is it really any safer than dicking with the same s*** on your phone, laptop, tablet or GPS device while driving because it's built into the car? **** no! Just drive and be entertained by not endangering everyone around you.

I don't think that's very strongly arguable from OP's standpoint, lol

And where does the electricity get generated to recharge your electric car? Coal fired power plants. And you think your car will be 0 emissions? Seriously? Lol!

If you live in certain parts of USA - yes your electricity maybe 100% coal but that number is going down. This has been a big campaign point for November elections - whole world is cutting down on coal for electricity.
Btw in TX my electricity provider lists usage of renewables as 7% - this is in a state that has lots of oil - till this year July - Texas had a $2500 rebate for buying some electrics although Tesla was not one of them.

A decade from now your electricity from coal could be under 10% if climate agreements hold, whereas gas would be equally bad.

Technically, yes. Android Auto is definitely supposed to be safer. With the idea that once you connect your phone to the system, you can't use your phone anymore. Everything is directed through the infotainment system. So at the very least, at least your attention will be limited and central to the infotainment system and what it can do. Instead of your phone which can do tons more.

But back to my point to the OP, you can still get the experience of Android Auto. Go buy just about any other non luxury cuv, and you 100% will not get the cx5 driving experience.

I'm a software developer, I like to tinker with gadgets. I updated the firmware and installed a bunch of mods, including the Enhanced Compass app and screen-casting script just a week after I got the car. However, when I'm in the CX-5, I enjoy just the feeling of driving it and don't care much about the technology, even on hour-long trips. What I use during the trips are usually just radio or music, calls can go into Bluetooth seamlessly, Google Maps is still on my Android phone only but it can lay against the screen so that's not really a complaint.

This is my first Mazda, although I don't know how to describe the feeling, it's so far the best and most fun handling/driving experience I've ever had, just want to drive it more and more (if you're in Minnesota and encounter a CX-5 speeding like an asshole, that could be me :). I'm hooked, my next car will most likely be another Mazda.

Again, CX-5 is a car, not a gadget, and it's a really good one at that.

I've noticed the same, ironically, that Japanese cars lack in the electronics department. That said, my 370Z Touring/NAV wasn't shabby at all, but HUD would have been cool. That's just being nitpicky though. Of the American cars, I think Chrysler is the only one that impresses me with their electronics. My 2010 Jeep was where most top of the line offerings from Mazda and Nissan and the like are, today.

The funny thing is, Mazda Connect was developed by an American team, possibly one reason because Japanese hardware companies kind of suck at software. I think its tied up in contract issues resulting from outsourcing it - a common enough problem that Ford brought infotainment development back in house for the latest generation after years of problems with the old Sync software.

A example of hassle is actually the 2014-2015 bluetooth issues. The old developer of the head unit was long gone (or something) so they had to contract with another company to actually reverse engineer the software and design and manufacture a new hardware bluetooth module to fix the issues. That's why it took so long.

I don't know if Mazda has the resources to really bring it back in house though. They're not Ford...

Coal fired plants are being converted to natural gas. It is cleaner than coal, cheaper, but produces CO2 like Gasoline. For electric cars, you lose a lot of efficiency in converting natural gas heat to electricity, electrical transmission line loss, transformer voltage up and down change loss, battery charger convert to dc at correct voltage loss, battery heat charge/storage loss, and electric motor efficiency loss to get to mechanical energy. I have not done a study but the multiple losses are additive and I suspect that they approach the loss of gasoline burning heat loss to mechanical energy in today's CX-5 engine which produces CO2 but is otherwise fairly clean with current pollution control systems. Neither of these choices help global warming much especially when you add the battery manufacturing/disposal effects. I think if you generated electricity with "safe" nuclear power you reduce global warming significantly with electric cars.

... For Zero Emission, yeah I know the emission are just "moved" but I still think hydro is better than gas.
From "What is U.S. electricity generation by energy source?" by U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA):

"In 2015, the United States generated about 4 trillion kilowatthours of electricity. About 67% of the electricity generated was from fossil fuels (coal, natural gas, and petroleum).

Major energy sources and percent share of total U.S. electricity generation in 2015:

Coal = 33%
Natural gas = 33%
Nuclear = 20%
Hydropower = 6%
Other renewables = 7%
Biomass = 1.6%
Geothermal = 0.4%
Solar = 0.6%
Wind = 4.7%​
Petroleum = 1%
Other gases = <1%
"

67% of the electricity generated is from fossil fuels such as coal、natural gas、and petroleum, and all of those power plants, especially coal power plants which is still 33%, are much more dirtier than current internal combustion engines! 20% of nuclear is problematic on nuclear wastes without saying. The electrical cars simply move all emissions to the power plants is a fact! And we haven't discuss electrical power transmission loss mentioned by GAXIBM and the environmental ill effects by the very high voltage power transmission! "Hydro is better than gas"? Hydropower is only 6% of electricity generated, not to mention the research from WSU has shown methane emissions from hydroelectric posted by Kedis82ZE8 earlier.

Last edited:
I don't think that's completely correct.
Coal power plants definitely emit pollution and CO2, but the gas engine is so inefficient that it emits even more pollution and CO2. Modern power plants have additional systems to reduce pollution which can be heavy and expensive, which you can never put on cars for this reason, and then there are all these rolling-coal vehicles, people which mod their vehicle to pollute more and people with old vehicles that continue to drive their old junkers for years.

This DOE data shows that even in states with mostly coal power sources, EVs are still better than gas in terms of CO2 emissions. In these states, Hybrids are the best though. On the national average, EVs produce less than 1/2 the CO2 emissions as gas powered cars.

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/vehicles/electric_emissions.php

Wow, the site above varies greatly by state, select your state and click on find data. For West Virginia an all electric vehicle creates 83% of the CO2 of a gasoline car. For Oregon it indicates that a all electric vehicle creates 15% of the CO2 of a gasoline car so it makes a lot of difference what your source of electric power is.

It's good to vent... We all need to once I a while. However, if you honestly feel that way, just go with your heart. Also, if your priority is the latest in infotainment, you're driving the wrong car. Modern Mazdas are more about lightness and driving dynamics. I'll take that over the latest infotainment system any day. Pair your iPhone and you have the same functionality. I've used CarPlay in other cars and it's not really all that. If you really must have a banging system, build it yourself... Just make sure to invest heavily in Dynamat, or you'll hear more rattles than clean bass!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back