not downloading showing my contact photos

:
2016.5 Mazda CX 5 Grand Touring W/ Tech PKG
Does the infotainment show your contact image/photo when a call is received or is n the contacts? Or just the light grey person icon?

I tried via the USB and Bluetooth, perhaps I'm missing a step.

iPhone 6 with iOS 10. It "imports contacts" upon every startup.

No picture of the contact.
I disabled import contacts at startup for a simple reason. The only contacts I'm interested to have in the Infotainment are the ones with a phone number. I don't need to have contacts with only an email address, and because you cannnot specify which contacts you want to sync (it's all or none), I disabled the auto import.

I have a Samsung S7 Edge, and contact photos appear fine for me in the Infotainment system. Might be an iOS thing?

Thanks KansasWaldo.. So theres hope.. Darn iOS.. Still waiting for apple CapPay to be an update.. Ugh..

Thanks KansasWaldo.. So theres hope.. Darn iOS.. Still waiting for apple CapPay to be an update.. Ugh..

Hopefully, that update will come sometime soon for iOS users without the use of proprietary hardware. Apple typically requires proprietary hardware for CarPlay, so I'm not sure if existing units will be able to support it.

Android Auto, on the other hand, is functional with the Infotainment system via the All-in-One tweaks. It's not perfect, but it works. I actually screencast my Android phone to the Infotainment instead without Android Auto since it is fully functional.

I do enjoy Apple products, but I've found Android to be more friendly with other technology simply due to the open source nature of it. Apple wanting to own every step of the process makes integration more difficult.

Hopefully, that update will come sometime soon for iOS users without the use of proprietary hardware. Apple typically requires proprietary hardware for CarPlay, so I'm not sure if existing units will be able to support it.

Android Auto, on the other hand, is functional with the Infotainment system via the All-in-One tweaks. It's not perfect, but it works. I actually screencast my Android phone to the Infotainment instead without Android Auto since it is fully functional.

I do enjoy Apple products, but I've found Android to be more friendly with other technology simply due to the open source nature of it. Apple wanting to own every step of the process makes integration more difficult.

I'm looking seriously into the CX-5. But at the dealership today it looked like the Infotainment System has limitations when it comes to texting. It appears I can listen to (apparently not see while moving) text messages but I cannot reply other than choosing from pre-selected messages viewable on the screen. I would think I would be able to hit the speak button on the steering wheel to send a reply. Is this not the case? I happen to have a Samsung Note 5 running Android 6.0.1 (Nougat, 7, coming).

Any details you can share about your use of your phone paired to your Mazda?

Last edited:
Pairing the iPhone was so simple and have not had problems with it. As for texting what I've done is just use the iPhone over the Bluetooth and read it on screen, listen to it. I can only reply is if I hold the home button activating Siri and using the voice mike in the cx5 to dictate my text response.

I was at the dealer last week and asked the service man about if Mazda was going to have a software update to utilize the apple CarPlay or android auto.... He said not to his knowledge at this time but he said Mazda usually follows the European car manufacturers. Furthermore he said that right now Mazda is closely watching the ford and Chevrolet manufacturers to see if there are any potential issues with apllpe CarPlay or android auto not limited to and including the chance of lawsuits by American drivers if there is an accident or death while using such devices.

Overall I am pleased with he infotainment system... Yes it could be better th acts for sure. Was it a deal breaker for me Not at all... I came from a '96 BMW 328i to the Mazda CX-5, so this is okay by me.

Pairing the iPhone was so simple and have not had problems with it. As for texting what I've done is just use the iPhone over the Bluetooth and read it on screen, listen to it. I can only reply is if I hold the home button activating Siri and using the voice mike in the cx5 to dictate my text response.

I was at the dealer last week and asked the service man about if Mazda was going to have a software update to utilize the apple CarPlay or android auto.... He said not to his knowledge at this time but he said Mazda usually follows the European car manufacturers. Furthermore he said that right now Mazda is closely watching the ford and Chevrolet manufacturers to see if there are any potential issues with apllpe CarPlay or android auto not limited to and including the chance of lawsuits by American drivers if there is an accident or death while using such devices.

Overall I am pleased with he infotainment system... Yes it could be better th acts for sure. Was it a deal breaker for me Not at all... I came from a '96 BMW 328i to the Mazda CX-5, so this is okay by me.

When doing your texting this way do you hear the audio through the Infotainment System or just over your iPhone?

I'm looking seriously into the CX-5. But at the dealership today it looked like the Infotainment System has limitations when it comes to texting. It appears I can listen to (apparently not see while moving) text messages but I cannot reply other than choosing from pre-selected messages viewable on the screen. I would think I would be able to hit the speak button on the steering wheel to send a reply. Is this not the case? I happen to have a Samsung Note 5 running Android 6.0.1 (Nougat, 7, coming).

Any details you can share about your use of your phone paired to your Mazda?

My use of my phone paired to my Mazda is pretty limited. I cast the screen to the Infotainment unit to have Google Maps on the display, and I listen to audio over Bluetooth. As far as phone or text is concerned, I've maybe taken about 10 phone calls while driving and haven't used the texting feature at all. I'm not a fan of using a phone while driving, even if it's connected via Bluetooth.

My use of my phone paired to my Mazda is pretty limited. I cast the screen to the Infotainment unit to have Google Maps on the display, and I listen to audio over Bluetooth. As far as phone or text is concerned, I've maybe taken about 10 phone calls while driving and haven't used the texting feature at all. I'm not a fan of using a phone while driving, even if it's connected via Bluetooth.

Did you install the hack to get CarPlay on your CX-5? Or how do you cast the screen onto your CHU? If I could do that I could do hands free texting. Don't do much but it just seems odd that it reads the texts incoming (wont' display...which is fine by me) but I have to view the screen to choose a response instead of doing an audible response to record and send. Mazda has no idea when Android Auto or CarPlay are coming. 59.00.441 is the latest and it's not in that update.

It would nice if Mazda posted a change log and made it easy to find. I did find 55.x but it wasn't easy. 59.x isn't listed.

That said, I love it so far. Just picked it up this past Monday night. Finally got a great drive in the Rockies yesterday to test it out. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back