non-related cx-5 car buying questions

hek8560

:
Mazda,CX-5,2015,TOURING
I want to buy a gently used 2016 audi a6 for my daily driver car. When I searched online with auto trader and true cars for it, I see a dealership have 3 of them with similar mileage. I wonder who will buy a 2016 a6 and just drive it for 7000 miles and sell it back to dealership, it doesn't make sense from financial point of view. My father said that they sold the car with suck low mileage and likely new because the car might have major engine or safety problem. He don't recommend me to buy it. I have no experience with buy used car, can anyone help me out. The price of the 2016 a6 used(7337 miles) is 45,500 which it is $2000 higher than kbb's price. The only concern for me is that the car might have major issues so the 1st owner wants get rid of it, if so that won't be a good choice to buy the car. What else I should looking for?

Take it to a mechanic you trust. Do a comprehensive test drive and see that everything is working. Ask the dealer if there is anything wrong with it. See that the title is clean, no salvage / leans. Pay for a carfax report. Check sites like edmunds.com

Even in this forum there are people that ditched a car early for various reasons. If you do your due diligence, you significantly lower the chances of trouble.

It may be a "factory car" driven for a few months by an Audi exec of some kind and then sold at auction like it was a lease return. Or it could be a dealer loaner taken out of service after a set amount of time or miles and then sold as used. You need to read the Carfax report carefully to learn the history of the car. You see these low mileage certified pre-owned (I assume that's what you're looking at) in the BMW and Mercedes world all the time. Audi no doubt plays the same games.

Last edited:
I want to buy a gently used 2016 audi a6 for my daily driver car.
In addition to all the suggestions above, one thing you need to remember is that even with a report from CarFax, there's still no guarantee that you'd know all the history of the vehicle as some people will try all means to aviod any bad information gets recorded in the CarFax.

To me, you pay less for a used car but you have more risk getting problems. And it's very difficult to tell if the car you're interested would be trouble free even if it's a CPO as you'll never know how did the previous owner treat the vehicle. For $45K I'd get a nice new luxury sedan such as Lexus ES, or if you like German, a BMW 3 Series. I simply don't trust Audi's reliability and longevity unless you plan to get rid of it right after the warranty ended. A friend's son has a 2012 Audi A6 and one cylinder lost compression at 30K miles which needed an engine replacement. Our 2001.5 VW Passat has Audi's 2.8L V6 and the engine is burning a quart of oil per 800~1,000 miles since new.

Carfax lacks accuracy in my own personal experience and would never rely on it. Nothing on purchase but only 25% of wrecks (4) that I was rear ended showed up on the Carfax reports.

Not sure if this is still the case but Autocheck used to be considered fairly accurate in their reporting.

I'd buy it and be happy. People do stuff like this all the time. I bought a 2011 Z06, drove it 4200 miles, and traded it in the next year in 2012. Trade-in was $6700 less than I paid for it new. It was flawless.

I'd buy it and be happy. People do stuff like this all the time. I bought a 2011 Z06, drove it 4200 miles, and traded it in the next year in 2012. Trade-in was $6700 less than I paid for it new. It was flawless.

Yep. I traded in my 2015 Mazda3 for my CX-5. It only had about 5700 miles on it at the time. Luckily, Mazda gave me a killer deal on the CX-5 that resulted in me only eating about $1800 in depreciation.

Take it to a mechanic you trust. Do a comprehensive test drive and see that everything is working. Ask the dealer if there is anything wrong with it. See that the title is clean, no salvage / leans. Pay for a carfax report. Check sites like edmunds.com

Even in this forum there are people that ditched a car early for various reasons. If you do your due diligence, you significantly lower the chances of trouble.

Thank you, I live 120 miles away from the dealership and I know nobody in that city or mechanic. I know how to check oil leak and basic stuffs, but you can't see all problems.

It may be a "factory car" driven for a few months by an Audi exec of some kind and then sold at auction like it was a lease return. Or it could be a dealer loaner taken out of service after a set amount of time or miles and then sold as used. You need to read the Carfax report carefully to learn the history of the car. You see these low mileage certified pre-owned (I assume that's what you're looking at) in the BMW and Mercedes world all the time. Audi no doubt plays the same games.

They have 4 audi a6 with similar mileage and price. I think they used the car for loaner car, but is it loaner car a good choice. I also heard that all 2016 audi car burn engine oil, they fixed it in 2017 model. I am not sure should I wait for next year or buy 2016.

In addition to all the suggestions above, one thing you need to remember is that even with a report from CarFax, there's still no guarantee that you'd know all the history of the vehicle as some people will try all means to aviod any bad information gets recorded in the CarFax.

To me, you pay less for a used car but you have more risk getting problems. And it's very difficult to tell if the car you're interested would be trouble free even if it's a CPO as you'll never know how did the previous owner treat the vehicle. For $45K I'd get a nice new luxury sedan such as Lexus ES, or if you like German, a BMW 3 Series. I simply don't trust Audi's reliability and longevity unless you plan to get rid of it right after the warranty ended. A friend's son has a 2012 Audi A6 and one cylinder lost compression at 30K miles which needed an engine replacement. Our 2001.5 VW Passat has Audi's 2.8L V6 and the engine is burning a quart of oil per 800~1,000 miles since new.

I like Lexus, but their design is just too outdated compare to BMW, BENZ, OR AUDI. I owned a Lexus before, I know their car is more reliable, I drive the car (2000 LEXUS RX300)until it reached 240,000 mile, no major issues, all it need is replace spark plug and oxygen sensors. I did heard something about audi engine burn engine oil, but didn't they fixed it recently? The consumer report rated Audi is number 1 reliable car brand for 2016.

Carfax lacks accuracy in my own personal experience and would never rely on it. Nothing on purchase but only 25% of wrecks (4) that I was rear ended showed up on the Carfax reports.

Not sure if this is still the case but Autocheck used to be considered fairly accurate in their reporting.

Thanks for the information!

Yep. I traded in my 2015 Mazda3 for my CX-5. It only had about 5700 miles on it at the time. Luckily, Mazda gave me a killer deal on the CX-5 that resulted in me only eating about $1800 in depreciation.

Don't sale tax count as part of loss when trade in a car so soon?

Don't sale tax count as part of loss when trade in a car so soon?

I calculated in sales tax when I said I only ate $1800 in depreciation. I received $2000 above KBB for my trade-in and purchased the vehicle at just shy of $2000 below invoice. I also received $500 in Mazda loyalty and an additional $1500 in rebates on top of the below-invoice pricing.

On the loan side, I went from 2.9% to 0.9%, so there's quite a bit of savings there as well. The dealership worked out quite a deal to help me out since both vehicles I got from them.

Last edited:
First of all your Audi is still under mfgers warranty. Dont spend money on additional mechanic etc. When your warranty is over you would have driven the car 80% of the miles so the impact of prior 7k miles will be negligible - I will tell you this, do not buy an Audi / Merc / BMW without warranty or rather do not own one without warranty. Get an extended one from Audi if possible. I won't say much about your choice (Audi) since that was not you question.

My 2nd car was a Hertz rental corolla driven 25k miles. I still have it at 47k and will sell it on at about 70k. For me even a simplest repair beyond oil change / preventive maintenance is not worth it. So unless the Audi has been abused - you should be fine. Assuming that you have done your research on A6 problems / user ratings.

Thank you, I live 120 miles away from the dealership and I know nobody in that city or mechanic. I know how to check oil leak and basic stuffs, but you can't see all problems.

That's why Yelp/Google exist! Don't skimp on this and make sure it is OK, otherwise you considerably increase your risk.

I helped buy a used Civic for a family member, took it to a mechanic which only charged us like $60 or so and also got a free opinion from a body shop place. Got a clean Carfax report. The only thing wrong with that car was the little tree-type car freshener, which the previous owner used. It took several months to get rid of the smell it left :)

I've bought several trucks that were driven by employees at the dealership for between 5K and 7K miles. They are sold as "used" but the vehicles have never been Titled to an owner. I've gotten some great deals that way, but they usually don't last long.

You @ CA. Look up mechanics specializing in German cars. I have see usual mechanics can't really handle German cars. The car's still in warranty. If anything Audi would take care of it. I would never rely on Carfax/Autotrader. In my Hyundai Santa Fe had a frontal in 2006. Got the other party to agree, exchanged money and had a local body shop repair it. The front chassis had twisted a bit. Its impossible to correct without serious $$. Had alignment done (which will hold ONLY for a month), put it up on CL, sold within a month - KBB +$1k. Carfax: CLEAN. Lesson: dont depend on these reports.

I've bought several trucks that were driven by employees at the dealership for between 5K and 7K miles. They are sold as "used" but the vehicles have never been Titled to an owner. I've gotten some great deals that way, but they usually don't last long.

I sold a guy an SVT focus for almost $10k under sticker. 7500ish miles, never titled, crooked dealer made it a loaner for his higher ups.

Back