Power Steering Fluid ???

smetzger

03 P5 (x2), 09 Miata, 07 Mazda3, 13 Fit, 09 Ody
So my manual says use ATF M-III or equivalent (e.g. Dexron III) for the power steering fluid.

However, the cap says "Power Steering Fluid Only".

So, which is it ATF or PS Fluid?

I would follow the manual. Wording on the cap could be a semantics issue. Or... Ask your service department. If the dealer doesn't know, then I give up.

Sent from the wrong side of the tracks.

I agree the writing on the cap is just there to let you know what goes there so you dont get it confused. The actual specification is inside the manual. If the manual in the car calls for a certain type, then that is what i would get.

I would follow the manual. Wording on the cap could be a semantics issue. Or... Ask your service department. If the dealer doesn't know, then I give up.

Sent from the wrong side of the tracks.

Often the service person will respond with "Make an appointment to bring your car in and we'll take care of it." The parts counter person at the dealership is more likely to give you the information, so I think that is the person you should contact to verify. Over the years, there have been mistakes in owner's manuals. Verify first before refreshing the fluid.

in our cars like many japanese cars power steering fluid is transmission fluid, they are both hydraulic fluids and serve the same general purpose. i have always used import multi vehicle (castrol brand) for transmissions and power steering in these cars and have not had any issues. i have also used mercon v in the power steering and dex/merc in the power steering and have not had issues. the power steering system is not that picky on fluid type (just use good atf as it has the right conditioners) but the transmissions are picky it HAS to meet the standard listed in your manual

Back