How many have locked keys in the car?

:
2014 CX-5 Touring
I figured it would happen eventually, given that the dealer only had 1 key to give us when we bought our 2014 Touring last month. With the keyless start system, you don't have the keys in your hand necessarily when exiting the vehicle, like you do on a normal keyed ignition. Sure enough, wife got out of the car yesterday, pressed the Lock button on the door panel (she was used to doing that from 15+ years of locking the doors that way on her old Corolla), but her keys were still on the front seat. She usually sets them on top of her purse, but I guess they slid off in transit.

I had to call a locksmith to come out, for $60 fee, to stick a tool in the top rear edge of the door frame to create a small gap, and stick a long, skinny tool inside to push the door unlock button. Job done in about 30 seconds.

I checked the owner's manual and apparently the system the prevents lock-outs only functions when the ignition is on ACC or ON settings, not when the ignition is turned off. I guess she'll just have to remember not to use the interior switch to lock the doors when leaving the car. Maybe a piece of red tape over the switch?

For me, it's natural to lock the car with my keyless fob when leaving the car. I actually removed the interior switches from my car to prevent a thief doing exactly what the locksmith did yesterday. But on my Integra, manually moving the door lock tab near the door handle also operates the passenger side door lock, like a central locking system, so I don't even need the interior lock switch. The CX-5 won't do that, however. I guess my wife just needs to get used to locking the car with the fob instead of the switch, as she's never had a vehicle with a keyless remote before.

Same thing happened to me. Had a spare key cut from the hidden fob key and now it lives in a magnetic box on top of the trailer hitch cross member.

This definitely isn't the case with my 16 cx5. If I leave my key fob in the car, no matter whether the car is on or off, I cannot lock the car. Because I've done it, and go to grab my key, and it's sitting inside in the cup holder. This is any keyless entry vehicle. Maybe something is wrong with yours as it should not lock with the key fob left inside.

I haven't tried on my CX-5, but my other cars all work the same way. If you leave your keys, you can't lock it.

I haven't tried on my CX-5, but my other cars all work the same way. If you leave your keys, you can't lock it.

Apparently they fixed this on the 16's because you can't open the door and lock it when the fob is in the car.

On all three Mazdas that I've owned, trying to lock the car using the door button while a fob is still in the car results in a long series of warning beeps - and that's when I actually have a second fob on me. Trying to lock it without a key outside the vehicle does nothing.

I have two keys - I will try to keep one of them and try. If it does not lock - try with both inside and try. Let you know.

I agree, this was one worry I had when we bought the car. I figured my wife would do this at some point as well so I made sure to tell her to always have the keys on her when she gets out and goes anywhere away from the car.

Like other though I have noticed that I think its hard to lock the keys in the car other than they way your wife did it Patrick.
Just tonight we went to grab a bite and when my wife and I got out of the car, I hit the button on the outside of the door handle and the car started beeping at me. Asked my wife to check where her key fob was, sure enough, still in the car but not in her purse where it should be :p

So nice feature to have but sometimes hard to fool proof these things lol

I figured it would happen eventually, given that the dealer only had 1 key to give us when we bought our 2014 Touring last month. With the keyless start system, you don't have the keys in your hand necessarily when exiting the vehicle, like you do on a normal keyed ignition. Sure enough, wife got out of the car yesterday, pressed the Lock button on the door panel (she was used to doing that from 15+ years of locking the doors that way on her old Corolla), but her keys were still on the front seat. She usually sets them on top of her purse, but I guess they slid off in transit.

I had to call a locksmith to come out, for $60 fee, to stick a tool in the top rear edge of the door frame to create a small gap, and stick a long, skinny tool inside to push the door unlock button. Job done in about 30 seconds.

I checked the owner's manual and apparently the system the prevents lock-outs only functions when the ignition is on ACC or ON settings, not when the ignition is turned off. I guess she'll just have to remember not to use the interior switch to lock the doors when leaving the car. Maybe a piece of red tape over the switch?

For me, it's natural to lock the car with my keyless fob when leaving the car. I actually removed the interior switches from my car to prevent a thief doing exactly what the locksmith did yesterday. But on my Integra, manually moving the door lock tab near the door handle also operates the passenger side door lock, like a central locking system, so I don't even need the interior lock switch. The CX-5 won't do that, however. I guess my wife just needs to get used to locking the car with the fob instead of the switch, as she's never had a vehicle with a keyless remote before.

You should get a spare key cut, just the key that's inside the fob and keep it in your wallet, just in case. At least you can open the door. With just a key the profile should be thin and should stow away easily in your wallet.

In my CX-5, Advanced Keyless entry feature is not installed, I have only the standard keyless entry, which does not auto lock the vehicle. If I leave the key fob in the car, I can definitely lock the key inside, if I use the button on the door before closing it. The door will lock with the key fob inside with no indication.
On our Mazda 3, with Advanced Keyless entry, if I leave the key fob inside the car then press the lock button on the inside of the door, the locks will lock, but when I close the door, the car will beep and unlock it back.

With the CX-5, I always either lock with the key fob, or check that the key fob is in my pocket before locking. This is not very different from the old key in ignition days.
With the 3, my wife usually keeps the key fob in her purse and there is no need to touch it at all. We almost always lock manually, by pressing the black button on the outside door handle. This will not work if the key fob is inside the car. We then manually check that the car is locked by pulling the handle.

Last edited:
Could always be worse. Today my wife, her mom, my daughter and I went to the beach. My daughter was sleeping when we arrived, so I went ahead and found us a nice spot , leaving them in the car.
I called once I was setup and the three of them locked up the car and came down. We spent 3+ hours before packing up and leaving. We arrived back at the car only to find it running...and unlocked. Yep, my lovely wife left the dang thing open and idling for three hours! I was stunned it was still there.

...sent...

Last edited:

I checked the Owner's manual, it says if the ignition is on ACC or ON, it prevents you from locking the key fob inside the car. But if the ignition is off, that system doesn't function, and there is nothing to prevent you from locking the fob inside the car if the switch on the inside of the door is used. We also do not have the Advanced Keyless or whatever it's called.

My 2014 mazda 6 Touring locked me out the first week I had her. The 2016 x 2 can't be locked out of either.

I have two keys and couldn't figure out for the life of my why my car wouldn't lock once. Turns out, my wife had the other fob in her purse on the back seat.

The 2016.5 definitely cannot lock if the keys are in the car. That's in ACC or completely off. My 2015 Mazda3 GT was the same way.

How exactly does it know your fob is in the car? How does that actually work? I know I'll have it with me outside the car and I can lock it with the door request switch if I feel like it instead of waiting for it to lock as I walk away, and in that case the fob is very close to the door on the outside. Is it a super sensitive distance thing, or is there something else to it so it knows inside v. outside? Just curious how it functions. I have Advanced Keyless Entry.

How exactly does it know your fob is in the car? How does that actually work? I know I'll have it with me outside the car and I can lock it with the door request switch if I feel like it instead of waiting for it to lock as I walk away, and in that case the fob is very close to the door on the outside. Is it a super sensitive distance thing, or is there something else to it so it knows inside v. outside? Just curious how it functions. I have Advanced Keyless Entry.

I believe it uses a proximity sensor.

I just checked my 2019 GT-R. I have all the auto-door lock features completely disabled as I despise it. My SOP is to drive with all doors locked except the driver's side. When I exit the vehicle I thumb the lock button on the inside of the door panel to the lock position and close the door. When re-entering, I press the keyless entry button on the door handle to unlock. I rarely use the fob to lock or unlock the doors, it mostly stays in my pocket.
I tried leaving my keys in the center console, thumbing the lock button to the locked position with the other three doors already locked and closing the door. I immediately got beeping and flashing lights and the driver's side door would not lock. It would also not respond to the lock command by pressing the button on the outside of the door handle.
If all four doors were unlocked and I pressed the electric lock switch on the armrest and closed the door I got the same warnings and the doors did not lock.

But here is where it gets interesting.... If you are sitting in the car with the keys on the console, motor off and you close the door and thumb the lock to the locked position the door will lock and you don't get any warnings. You can also open the door by pulling on the handle without having to unlock it first. at which point the manual lock button rotates to the unlock position. I have not had that happen on previous cars, if the door was locked you had to unlock it from the inside in order to pull the handle and open the door. So there must be a sensor that feels the weight on the seat and knows there is an occupant and lets you lock the doors without the motor running or the ignition being in ACC or ON.

But.... if you then get out of the car, leaving the keys on the console, thumb the button to the lock position and close the door the driver's side door will in fact lock, but the other three doors will be unlocked ! You might temporarily panic thinking you have locked your keys inside but fear not as the other doors are now unlocked. Weird.

This is the part of your story that frightens me the most:

And like others have posted, I once walked away and left the engine running while I went inside grocery shopping. I've NEARLY done this maybe 3-4 times, but actually did it just that once.

Back